Should I fill gaps with mortar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I fill gaps with mortar?

Apologies as I’m sure this has been asked before but I couldn’t find a straight answer with search.

I just finished my dome yesterday (will create a photo post soon) and am ready to start the outer arch/chimney. My joints aren’t exactly as tight as many seen here though. Everything is holding well, but there are many gaps when looking from the inside (especially near the top). Should I fill these with mortar? Click image for larger version

Name:	FC840920-3407-47DE-B522-B279E1528057.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	436497 Click image for larger version

Name:	F40D706F-3078-410A-942D-8720D2E9794C.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	436499
    Attached Files

If the gaps do not extend to outside, then they don't need filling, but you may consider filling them for a nicer appearance.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post
      If the gaps do not extend to outside, then they don't need filling, but you may consider filling them for a nicer appearance.
      Great, thank you. That was my understanding but wanted to be sure. None of the gaps extend all the way to the outside so I’ll plan to keep moving forward. I’ll scrape off the excess mortar before moving on the outer arch.

Comment

Working...
      X