How to Prep for a brick Veneer Exterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Prep for a brick Veneer Exterior

Hello, this is our first post. We have been busy constructing a 42" inside diameter dome oven following Forno Bravo's plans. In a nutshell, we built our dome out of fire brick as instructed, covered it with 3" of ceramic fire blanket, followed by a layer of portland/vermiculite concrete. Ultimately we intend to have an exterior of brick veneer on the oven. What is the next step? We want to increase strength ( assuming the portland/vermiculite concrete is not very strong), and to have a waterproof layer that will block any moisture seeping through the mortar in the joints on the brick veneer. We don't want to add unnecessary weight or increase the size of the oven unnecessarily, but we also want a strong weather proof oven. What are our best options?

Thanks

Hi John and Susan,

Welcome to the forum. I used mesh hardware cloth (wire mesh) to reinforce about a 3/4" layer of stucco over the vcrete. I included a latex acrylic concrete fortifier and bonding agent into the mix to increase water resistance. The stucco is in three layers but, I did not do the usual scratch/brown/ finish method. I just smoothed each layer out with a wet sponge and painted on a coat of the same material as a bonding agent between coats. This further increased the water resistance for the stucco shell. Next was 1/2" brick flooring splits glued into place with thinset and grouted joints. Of course, I painted another coat of bonding agent on before the brick veneer was applied. The brick and mortar joint can also be painted over with the product as it dries to a clear simi-gloss finish. That is about as thin, strong and water resistant of brick veneer method that I know of.

All that said, I still put a roof over my oven. That increases the number of days per year that I a can comfortably operate it. It is an open span so I can still show off the shape of the dome. Y'all may want to consider a vent at the apex of the dome since water proofing a shell also traps moisture within. Also, a storm door to protect the oven entry opening. Anything you can do to stop moisture intrusion will be a big plus on the overall performance of your oven.

I would normally include pics in my posts. However, I am limited at the moment on my internet speed. The best that I can offer is for y'all to look at my build pics in my signature line.

I hope this helps
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (21).JPG
Views:	369
Size:	933.4 KB
ID:	436906
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Name:	splits1 001.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	722.1 KB
ID:	436908

Comment

Name:	drawer5 002.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	436910

Comment

Working...
          X