Arch gussetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch gussetting

Well its time to gusset my arch. Tried just a single brick approach laid flat and stacked straight up transitioning to a nice arch over the top. Stainless stack sits ontop of that. Ive been watching it and each firing wiggles the left side out just enough to see a crack. It is not about 1/16th cracked and i want to stop it before things go south. Ive already sealed the concrete top that the oven sits on. My question is should i gring the sealer off so the mortar van adhear to the concrete or use a construction adhesive to adhere the gusset. Still kinda kicking around using bricks or fabricating a nice looking metal gusset which obviously wouldnt use morter. Thoughts?

Sorry for the fat thumb spelling. It was early and id just drove 20 hours straight home from florida

Comment

I'm not sure if a gusset with construction adhesive will work. It could, but I'd venture that when the oven is fired, if those bricks heat up, then the heated brick will warm the construction adhesive, and the adhesive will creep. Instead of adding a gusset to cover the moving joint, I'd think adding a buttress to the outside of the vertical sides to prevent outward movement would give you better results. But...obviously adding a buttress at this point depends on access to the the sides of the arch.
      Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks for the response. Good point on the adhesive. I have clear access to the sides of the arch. I will probably either use a buttress or build a metal gusset and bolt to the cement base.

Comment

Working...
        X