Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 inch corner build in St. Catharines

Welcome from St. Catharines, Ontario.
    Broke ground on the oven and did the base pour April 1. Set the blocks and poured the hearth slab just before it snowed last week. Finally started the actual layout.
    Will try to figure out how to add pictures.

Comment

Welcome! Good luck with your build.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

From the pics looks like you are set. Just confirming that the floor insulation is some sort of CaSi raised off the hearth by tiles? Also a pic of the end of the IT would be nice. The pivot point looks spot on.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-29-2021, 01:56 PM.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russell, below the floor is K-fac 19 on pieces of ceramic tiles. I don't think it has the compressive strength of a Ca-si board but I was having difficulty finding Ca-si and read that others have used this. Elvis at Alphatherm told me he sells lots of K-fac for oven builds. A wet day here today so spent time constructing a form for my inner arch and getting a rain/sun shelter set up over the oven. I'll snap a pic of my IT and post it later.

Comment

Here's a pic of my IT with pencil attachment. I have a setting tool also but haven't trialed it yet. Please excuse my welding. My welder doesn't work well with thin materials.
            The pivot is half a hinge and pivots on a piece of a 1/2" bolt set into the floor (wood for now)

Comment

I looked at the specs and the K-fac is light on the compressive strength IE 33.3 psi at "10%" compression where CaSi is around 70 psia at 5% compression. But it is what is. On the IT the most important item is that the centerline of the rod from the pivot point intersects the half way point on the dome brick, IE 2.5" thick brick means a 1.25" center of rod to pivot point intersection.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

GFI - welcome to the forum! Great folks here!
                Your build is off to a great start! My cousin's hail from St. Catherine's and I'm just down the road in the Hammer!
                Elvis is a fantastic support and I've purchased my chimney from him (going to get my vermiculite bags there too! Can't find large bags local! What the heck there!?)

Nice to be getting some good weather for building!
                Enjoy!
                Barry
                You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Thanks Barry. I closed the dome last week and currently working on entry arch layout.
                  I only purchased 1 bag of vermiculite yet as I didn't know how much I'd need. I've been to Elvis twice now and hoping I won't need another trip.
                  I believe your oven is larger than mine but how much vermiculite do you think you'll need. The bag I have is 4 cubic feet.
                  Glenn

Comment

GFI sorry I’ve been a bit to get back to you! Great news to read you’ve closed the oven! A moment for sure!!

My build is 42” and with the enclosure - according to FB plans and thickness of blanket I hope to put on - I will need about 3 bags (I’m thinking 4 to be safe!).

what was the cost on the big bag?
                    if you’re done with it - maybe I can DM you and take it off your hands so you’re not sitting with it.

All the best mate!!
                    barry

Comment

Hi Barry,
                      the vermiculite from Elvis is $50 for 4 cu ft. I can't part with it though as I've only bought the one and haven't started insulating yet. I ordered a bag of Perlite from the big orange store so I can do the Vermiculite/Perlite blend. I think I'll need about 7 cu ft but we'll see when I get to that point.
                      glenn

Comment

AH! I see - no worries!
                        Yes - Elvis got back to me today with that info and he has plenty - so I'm good!
                        Thanks anyway!
                        Take care
                        Barry

Comment

Working...
                        X