Turning peel construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning peel construction

I'm making my turning peel (stainless steel) while my final curing fire rages, and wondered whether the handle needs to be offset. That is, would it be useful to have the peel able to rest flat on the oven floor, or should the handle just be in-line with the plane of the peel face?

I'm no peel expert, but have been looking at them and it looks like all the professional quality turning peels are actually very simple - just a good quality stainless steel disk of 8 or 9 inches diameter riveted inline with a metal pole (no angles or offset). They may be slotted and have a sliding handle on the shaft, but I would keep it simple. I would just be careful not to make the handle too short so that you can comfortably reach the back of your oven - you can always cut it shorter if you find it a little too long after use.

Comment

My purchased peel has a slight angle so that one side can sit flat on the oven floor. It is very subtle.

Comment

The handle does not have to be offset. Both offset and inline will work.I actually prefer inline.

i raise the handle to slide the peel under the side of the pie, then lower the handle. The lever action raises the pie slightly, then i move the peel to turn the pie.

I think you'll find a way to work with which ever way you construct the peel.
        Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Working...
        X