X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmun
    replied
    Re: Pompeii Oven floor from Forno Bravo

I think the FB floor units are in four pieces: not exactly seamless. Does James still sell them individually?

RefMix is a dry mortar mix like Heatstop. It's made to put refractory units like firebrick or oven components together. It's not made for casting large units. There are castable refractory mixes, but they are expensive, and prone to cracking unless reinforced with expensive stainless needles.

Firebrick floors work first time, every time. If they are laid on the diagonal, they never catch a peel. If they are laid on a dry underlayment, any damaged brick can be sucked out by shop-vac and replaced. (Has anyone actually done this?) There are lots of other kinds of oven floors, but refractory material has shown to work well and be economical.

Leave a comment:

• wayne20
    replied

Thanks for the quick reply Les. I don't have anything against the brick, I was just thinking it may be nicer to have the floor of the oven seemless. Do you know if I could use the RefMix and form a floor?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Wayne,

Why not use fire brick? That's probably the easiest thing to do in regard to the build.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• wayne20
    replied

I am a new member. I did go through the different threads trying to find my answer, I'm sure I missed it somewhere. Was wondering if anyone could update me on the floorwhere to find info on "firebrick slabs for use as the Pompeii Oven" I see this thread is dated 2005. Also noticed you can buy a special mortor mix on the "Forno Bravo" site, was wondering if one can just form up their own floor and use this mix. "RefMix " is the mix I was thinking of. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Here is a photo of the FB Floor. I will have the exact specs, densities, composition, etc. early next week.

Drop me an email if you need prices sooner.

James

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Re: Large floor tiles

Exactly. If someone wants thicker than 2", they can always just use bricks.

We'll see how the cost and shipping sort themselves out...
    James
    Last edited by james; 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied
    Re: Large floor tiles

James, the two inches would be fine. Additional material (like more sand/fireclay mixture) could be put under them if the builder/baker wanted more thermal mass.

Now about shipping cost

Leave a comment:

• james
    started a topic Pompeii Oven floor from Forno Bravo

Pompeii Oven floor from Forno Bravo

We have located a source for 18"x12"x2" high duty firebrick slabs for use as the Pompeii Oven floor. They weigh 32.6 lbs each. I am happy with the 2" thickness, and don't think we need to go to 2 1/2" for residential ovens. There are a number of advantages of using these slab, compared with discrete bricks.

1. The larger pieces replace roughly 6 9"x4.5" firebricks, greatly reducing the number of seams inside your oven.

2. The larger pieces are easier to get level than the individual bricks, making it easier to place your floor.

3. Handling many fewer pieces makes it easier to assemble your floor.

4. The firebrick slabs are high duty brick, which are more dense than light duty (fireplace) firebricks and have a higher alumina content, so they will last longer and will be more efficient at absorbing heat.

The cost will be more than the cost of the discrete firebricks -- due to both the more expensive material and the more complicated, lower volume production process, but I think it will be worth it.

Final specs, prices and photos will be coming soon, so if you have started an oven, and haven't bought the floor bricks yet -- think about using these. We will let you know when we have them in stock, and we will be adding them to the FB Store.

Pretty cool (or really hot). :-)

James
    Last edited by james; 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM.
Working...
X