X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmun
    replied
    Re: Pompeii Oven floor from Forno Bravo

Cutting big masonry slabs is a pain - they don't fit on the wet saw, and using the angle grinder to score and break is crude at best. You could take them down to the stoneyard and have them cut them to shape on their giant diamond saw, but that's not cheap.

Leave a comment:

• jerrycook
    replied

I found a supplier in the San Francisco Bay Area that has 24" X 36" X 3" firebrick tiles at $81 per. I am considering using them for my oven floor to minimize the number of seams. I'm not sure how I will be able to cut them to fit and set them up for diagonal seams. I like the look of them though.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

We use firebrick tiles in the Primavera oven. It's a nice material, it cooks great, you don't have too many seams, and they look really cool! We do cut them and fit the oven dome around the floor -- so it can be done. :-)
    James

Leave a comment:

• jerrycook
    replied

I found a supplier in the San Francisco Bay Area that has 24" X 36" X 3" firebrick tiles at $81 per. I am considering using them for my oven floor to minimize the number of seams. I'm not sure how I will be able to cut them to fit and set them up for diagonal seams. I like the look of them though.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Tommy,

Anything can be cut if you have the proper blade, refractory materials are pretty easy (compared to something like porcelain).

Les...

Leave a comment:

• tommy5
    replied

does anyone know if you can cut these tiles to fit a casa oven?

Leave a comment:

• connie kokiousis
    replied

Thank you so much. I thought that this made sense, but I couldn't find anything in the directions or postings about it.
    Best Wishes,
    Connie

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Yes, you can put the insulation just under the igloo. Be sure it is under any part that gets hot (dome walls, floor, landing, etc.). This is what is done if you use an insulation board rather than the vermiculite/concrete.

Leave a comment:

• connie kokiousis
    replied

Hello mfiore,
    I'm sorry I am confusing you with my description. I was shooting for approx. 36" internal diameter, 42"-45" outer diameter. My base is 60" x 60" square. I would like the area outside of my igloo to be at 36" counter height. So, my question is:

Can I pour the 4" insulated concrete layer under the igloo area, and not extend it to the outer edges of my 60" x 60" square foundation?

I hope I am making some sense here. Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Connie, I agree with dmun.

Layout a mock of the oven and review the plans carefully. The 42 inches is internal diameter. You will also need 9 inches for wall thickness (4.5" x 2), plus approx. 6-10 inches for insulation (either 3 inches of blanket or 5 inches of vermiculite. This is the side to side dimensions. The front to back will need more room, to account for vent and landing. You may want to refer to
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...earth-657.html

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Five feet square may be small for a 42 inch oven. That's the size of my base for a 36, and my edges are closer to the wall than is ideal. Have you laid this out? Are you planning exterior walls or an igloo out to the edge?

And no, you don't need any insulation past the brick floor.

Leave a comment:

• connie kokiousis
    replied
    Insulation below the floor

Hello out there,
    I am trying to keep my pizza oven foundation at 36" high so that it flows seamlessly into the adjacent counter, however the insulating concrete layer will boost it up 2" too high. Can the insulating concrete layer remain just under the igloo dome (and entry?) or does it need to extend out to the edges of my base. The base is 60" x 60" square and I am going for a 42" dome.
    Thanks,
    Connie

Leave a comment:

• wayne20
    replied

Thanks Mike. Its nice to hear from someone so near. I downloaded the plans already. I'm not sure if I am going to start this fall or not, I want to, but may wait until spring. I keep reading different threads on the site, man, there are a lot, and this site just seems to scream 'friendly, knowledgeable, people'. I'll let you know when I get started. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Wayne,

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't done so yet, download the plans for a Pompeii oven (it's free!). It's really quite informative, the foundation of knowledge for oven building. Use the forum for ideas and questions. There are very knowledgeable people here. By far, the friendliest internet group I've encountered.

I'm in the middle of a build, east of you in Saginaw. I have in laws that live in K-zoo.

Welcome!

Leave a comment:

• wayne20
    replied

dmun, thanks for the reply. Thanks for the info too. Firebrick it is. I think I saw in a different thread where you were explaining to set the brick in a dry mixture and then sprinkling water. I will re-read those a little closer. Haven't started an oven yet, just talked my wife into building one, still planning. Thanks for all the help to you and Les. This web site is going to give me a lot more confidence doing this for the first time. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

Working...
X