• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrritSki
    replied
    Re: BrritSki's Build in Italy

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    So whereabouts in Liguria are you building this oven? We stayed in a tiny place on top of a hill called Poggi (near Imperia), and I kept fantasizing about dismantling one of the walls and carting the stones back home. My husband wouldn't let me though...
    We are in Ceriana, which is in the hills behind Sanremo, not far from Imperia. In fact one way that we can go to Sanremo passes through a village called Poggio which is at the top of a slope looking out over the sea - are you sure it wasn't that one ?

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied
    Re: BrritSki's Build in Italy

Wow Rog, I love your location. I was looking at the pics and thinking, hey nice wall in the background, reminds me of our trip to Italy last year...

So whereabouts in Liguria are you building this oven? We stayed in a tiny place on top of a hill called Poggi (near Imperia), and I kept fantasizing about dismantling one of the walls and carting the stones back home. My husband wouldn't let me though...

Leave a comment:

• BrritSki
    started a topic BrritSki's Build in Italy

BrritSki's Build in Italy

Well despite everything I decided to get started this year in the probably vain hope that I'll be able to produce some pizza at my son's wedding which will finish up here in early September.

I definitely won't be completely finished by then (if my Gaudi-style finish comes to pass!), but possibly will have a cured oven that I can cook in if there are not too many other distractions like Wimbledon, heat, pool, visitors, brush-cutting and other gardening tasks, wine, beer.... It's tough being retired

Anyway, my builder friend (mention in my introduction in March, and who now has a new pre-fabricated oven in his new house which works well), delivered some sand, cement, blocks & fire-bricks a couple of weeks ago and I got started.

First task was to build the base of a wall for a shed in another part of the garden which will partly be in gabion form so I can dump all the cement bits, ugly stones, bricks, tiles etc that I want to get rid of.

Once the cage was done I mocked up what the oven base will look like - concrete blocks are 50x50x20cms, not the easier-to-use 40x40x20, but I came up with a layout that is not too difficult.

I'm going to include my ancient barbecue grill on one side of the oven with a small counter at the side of it, and then a full-length counter on the other side of the oven, but I need the slab to go off and position things to see how they look within the other constraints of flower beds etc before the final plan is decided.

Now to figure out how to post pics/thumbnbails in here...

Meanwhile apart from the pics of our rustico on the pbase site mentioned in my intro, there are some other pics here, although some of the albums are password-protected at the request of those pictured:
    PictureTrail

Pictures have been uploaded to the Hearth and Stand category and included in an album entitled "BrritSki's Pix".

Ciao Rog
    Last edited by BrritSki; 07-02-2008, 08:03 AM. Reason: Correct smiley
Working...
X