Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octagonal Oven Base

Hi,

For the space I am planning to put an oven, I think that an octagonal base shape would work best. I have not run across any body that has built a base in an octogan yet, and am curious what has been done in the past.

Specifically, how have people delt with less than 90 degree angles where the side of their stand meet? I have some ideas, but wanted to see what others have done.

Thanks,
    Travis
    TravisNTexas

Re: Octagonal Oven Base

A little bummed about no responses to this question, but I bought some blocks today to measure and try and figure out how to make it work and tie together.

I probably should have posted this up in "Getting Started", since I now see that is where design questions belong.

Course if could be that my question was either stupid, or that nobody understood it

Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

There are no stupid questions! Personally, I just didn't know how to answer it. Someone did a round stand, but I'm not sure how. There's an oven which has sonotube legs and looks like a flying saucer too- it's really cool.

good luck with the form!
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

The cuts to do an octagon are pretty simple. If you are working with finish stuff, like brick, you want to cut your end bricks at the 45 degree angle, and then interleaf the levels so you don't have running seams. Most wet saws come with a 45 degree cutting jig.

If you are just planning to do a stucco finish, I would just lay the blocks up with visible notches, and fill the gaps with paper topped with a couple of inches of mortar mix.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I've seen a base that looks like a big asterisk, so an octagonal base should be fine! Make sure you leave space for the landing (maybe you could leave one side of the octagon?).
          Matt S, Cambs, UK
          42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Here's a quick sketch of what I was talking about: A three and a half brick per side octagon would be about 67 1/2 inches across, and would hold a 39 inch oven with room to spare.
            Attached Files
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by staestc View Post

Specifically, how have people delt with less than 90 degree angles where the side of their stand meet?
              This is what I didn't understand.
              But I think an octagon base would be very cool.

My enclosure is an octagon, but my base is a square, giving me a square (larger) storage area. I seem to remember your base portruding out of the back of your kitchen, so an octagon seems very logical to me. At least an octagon in the back.

Unfortunatly, all this advice hinges on my remembering your plans!

dusty

Comment

Hey Travis,

one thing I've figured out on this forum: If you don't get an answer, its often because people don't actually know for sure, and certainly not because we're not interested! Its difficult to believe with all the information around here, but it does happen.

See, I can't actually remember anyone building an octagonal oven before... hexagons, yes - octagons, no. Not yet anyway .
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks everybody for the responses.

Dusty - Yep, you remember correctly. It is in the corner and hangs out the back. Three sides of the octogan will be counter end, oven door, counter end. And of course you pointed out where I screwed up the post! The cinderblocks meet at 135 degrees, which is a tad higher than 90, not less.

David - Appreciate the sketch. It got me thinking. The finish material will be stone which is not a problem regardless of the shape. It is the concrete block base that I am trying to figure out, but your picture got me thinking about some options.

I am taking the day off today to play I found a place in Dallas yesterday that carries fire brick at $1.10, and also has chimney flue, fire clay, etc., so I am going to check them out, see what all they have, and get some bricks to play and design with.

I will play with my concrete blocks too, and draw up what I have in mind and put it up here. I appreciate all inputs, since this bit is a little tricky (the first in a long series of tricky bits, I think )

Travis
                  TravisNTexas

Comment

Okay, I figured out how I was going to do the 45 degree corners. Originally I was thinking about taking 22.5 degrees off each block where they meet, then when I saw David's drawing it got me thinking. Here's the result.
                    The first picture is the first course. The second picture shows how if you alternate each course, the concrete core fill will lock the corners together.

Thanks for all the help. Now I have to figure out how I will do the wood storage access holes

Travis
                    TravisNTexas

Comment

Oh, I like the way this is starting out! I'm looking forward to your build.
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Nice!

dusty

Comment

Thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it too. I tried to post these earlier, but not sure what happened to the post

I drew up the inside diameter of the oven dome, the outside diameter of the insulated dome, and the outside diameter of the circle that would encompass the octagonal base blocks, then started laying it up in the driveway. Those pictures are attached.

I ran out of blocks, so the wife and I went to the stone yard just to shop (they don't sell the blocks), out to lunch, to the grocery, then finally to Lowes to get some more blocks I am going to cut a few more so I can at least complete one course so I can figure out where and how I am going to put the access doors in for wood storage.

Travis
                          TravisNTexas

Comment

I like it.

I've had plenty of posts get eaten, but it's usually my own fault. I usually forget to hit the submit button before I hit the back arrow... doh!
                            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Okay, in my psuedo build, I figured out that by cutting the way David suggested, and by alternating cut bricks, I can make the corners permanent. So given that I will have long straight joints on the side, how to I tie them together. This is what I plan to do on each course to tie those side seams together.

I need 18 more blocks, then I will have all the base. I have pretty much run out of excuses to not dig out and put a foundation it!

Travis
                              TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
                              X