X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Originally posted by drogers View Post
    Bill,
    This day should result in a very slow cure. I hope the rain we are getting misses you for as long as possible.
    I like the way you are approaching the front, it looks like it will give good chimney support. It also will keep the screen back, such that it does not distract from the front of the oven.
    Don
    Hey there Don,

What a soggy day huh? I was able to get the left side bricks all the way to the top of the new feature I added yesterday but then the sky turned a very dark color and I started melting . I had to do the 'Oh $#it' scramble for the tarp and clamps. I managed to get it covered in no time. I then got out the pressure washer, rain coat, and proceeded to clean the dust and debris off the deck. It was fun I must say

I think the front support will be good also; so far I have not placed any weight on the fire brick arch/vent area with the exception of the clay pipes. I planned ahead for the screen location, well within an inch or so , Once I get the chimney bricks all the way up I'll put the screen up. Of course this all has to be done by the 13th as I'm having a Christmas party. Not sure about trying pizzas that night but will definitely have a nice fire going

Thanks again,
    Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

I agree - very nice job. I love the chimney treatment!!!

Can't wait to see the surprise!!!

Christo
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bbell View Post
        Amazing work. A true artisan.
        Thanks Bbell, I appreciate the kind words!
        Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
          Oh wow, Bill. That's a beautiful job. Very creative finish and keystone method, too! Now, get your cleanup done and your wait over, and get to curing!

Well, I guess the Christmas lights can get done first... I still have to find mine. I want to get some of those cool LED ones to save on the electric bill, but I'm thinking that maybe in a year or two it will be more cost effective. In the meantime I think I'll just use fewer lights and use timers to turn them on and off...

Thank you so much Elizabeth!

I cannot wait to get a fire going it it. I also cannot wait to get the brick work done!

I have a ton of the LED lights, they're great and they do save on the electric bill... That's if you don't end up putting more up than you had before

Thanks again,
          Bill,

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
            I agree - very nice job. I love the chimney treatment!!!

Can't wait to see the surprise!!!

Christo
            Thank you Christo!

I hope to have it done by next weekend... The surprise that is.
            Bill,

Comment

Looking good Bill, i like the personal touch on the keystone. keep up the good work mate!
              Justin
              My 40" Oven progress http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...peii-5495.html

Comment

Quick question everyone,

Today is the day I get to start the curing process!!!

I read the new curing guide and it suggests to bring the temp up to 300f constant. Do you think that if I used my propane burner for the turkey fryer and placed a stack of fire bricks about half way up dead center and left an opening at the bottom for the burner to go in that I could use it instead of an actual fire? I don't have the top section of the flue on yet and don't want any unwanted sparks going anywhere. The fire would hit the bricks which would create a wide spread radiant heat source that is precisely controllable.

Any thoughts?
                Bill,

Comment

Bill,
                  The nice part of your idea is that the propane will be giving off moisture, I would think that this would be a plus over the dry air from a wood fire. The curing wouldn't be as "harsh" with the added moisture. The turkey fryers all have a flame control so you could dial in the size flame you want.
                  Don

Comment

It seems reasonable. I can tell you from experience, maintaining a 300 degree fire with paper/wood/cardboard is not easy. It quickly shoots up when you add new fuel, and dies out quickly. It's much easier to maintain a 450-500 degree fire. I would think heating the first few low fires with propane would work OK, then switch to real fire with the hotter cures.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Sounds ok to me. But be careful!!!

You don't want to melt the hose to your turkey fryer!!!

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
                        Sounds ok to me. But be careful!!!

You don't want to melt the hose to your turkey fryer!!!

Christo
                        I hear ya!

Thanks RT, Mike, and Christo for the quick reply! I plan on wrapping the hose with the Cerablanket from Thermal Dynamics I'm using for the insulation on the dome. I'll probably cover that with foil or something.

Ok, I'm going in!
                        Bill,

Comment

Sorry Don, Thank you! I was typing so fast I for some reason had RT on my mind... Probably because it's so freakin hard to find anyone with firewood in Tampa other than the $20.00 stack that will last an hour! I'm hoping RT can help me with a source...

Thanks again for the quick reply.
                          Bill,

Comment

Bill, I wish I had a phone number or the exact address but I don't. My "good" source for wood is a place I have been driving past for years.....this guy has been selling firewood since before I moved here 13 yrs ago. I finally stopped in after I built my oven...I never thought to get the phone number or the exact address since I'm only 15 minutes away and he ALWAYS has wood.

Here is the location (a bit of a drive for you):

Located on Ehrlich Rd. in Tampa (Carrollwood, north Citrus Park area). Between Gunn Hwy. and the Veterans Expwy on the south side of the road. If you were to head north on the Veterans from Tampa, exit at Ehrlich Rd. and turn left (west), will then be on your left. You can't miss it, old house and sheds with about a 1/2 acre field stacked with firewood - literally just off the street. Has a big hand painted "FIREWOOD" sign.
                            As I have found, seasoned firewood is not cheap here in FL and most isn't really seasoned. Every Tom, Dick, & Harry landscaper loves to peddle there cuttings from this year (stay away). This guy actually has the space to split and stack his wood for seasoning - and seemed very honest as to what was seasoned and what was not. He doesn't sell by the standard firewood measurements (I don't think anyone does in FL)...it is his own unit of measure. I paid $160 last January for about 2/3 of a true cord...and he let me have all of the kindling I could fit in my vehicle for free. At the time, he had hickory, oak, and citrus - I got a mix of all three.
                            My other source is a friend with a cabin in the woods of GA...I load up my truck whenever we go up for a weekend.

Hope this helps

RT

Comment

Hey Guys!
                              Have you used any pecan wood ever? Its pretty plentiful here (South GA). We've got a friend who is a pecan farmer and has a lot of wood stacked up and said he would be glad for us to have some. Otherwise we have a guy who delivers and stacks a cord of oak for 60$. He calls every couple months or so to see how our supply is going. I don't know that its necessarily seasoned but we generally have enough on hand to get it dried out. My husband has been into smoking meat for a while now.
                              Hopefully this weekend will be dry enough and warm enough that we can work on our dome.....
                              Bonita

Comment

Nice thread Bill. Great build too. Awesome touch with the engraved keystone. Thousands of years from now, somone may scrape the soot off and see your inscription.
                                I'm slowly (very slowly) catching up a bit here. I look forward to seeing your finish.
                                George
                                GJBingham
                                -----------------------------------
                                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                                X