Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Originally posted by Artichoke View Post
    Your work looks fantastic. How exciting for you you should be very pleased with that level of craftsmanship.
    Cheers
    Joe
    Thanks Joe, It's a learn as you go process for me but it has been a lot of fun so far.
    Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Bad news on the Ridgid wet saw; I had to take it back It just didn't work as good as the MK that I'm using (borrowing). It's almost impossible to stall the MK motor; the Ridgid stalled all the time. The saw was flexing so the blade wanted to walk up on the bricks forcing the blade in too fast causing a very nice disintegration of the fire brick and cut Yes the laser was cool, the miter was ok, the tray rolled beautifully, but for $700.00 the over all quality of the saw needs improvement in my humble opinion. The MK-101 is built for professional tile setting to be use on a daily basis with very little maintenance; I can't see the Ridgid making it through an oven build (with me using it).

I fired up the MK when I got home (in the dark I might add ) and ripped through a set of bricks like butter. I'm used to working with shims to make miter cuts but if your not the Ridgid was easy to use.

Not to bash Ridgid; my entire wood shop is 100% Ridgid and I wouldn't get rid of anything. The wet saw just didn't cut it...no pun intended
      Bill,

Comment

Oh yeah, I also managed to get the Christmas tree up yesterday!

Do we need to start another thread to show our lights?

I'm definitely a Griswold club member. My neighbor behind me has his all up and running on a Light-O-Rama controller to some very cool music. Ive been threatening to do that for a few years......Hmmmmmmmmmm
        Bill,

Comment

Bill,

I used to go the full light route. I was on my third 15 AMP breaker when I admitted I had a problem. I just put on a 8 grand roof this summer so I think I will quit running on top of it.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Bill,

I used to go the full light route. I was on my third 15 AMP breaker when I admitted I had a problem. I just put on a 8 grand roof this summer so I think I will quit running on top of it.

Les...
            Yikes. I guess the fact that I put 4 double 20 amp breaker boxes outside two years ago means that I'm way past the point of no return....

You know you have a lot of Christmas lights when your 10 gage extension cord gets warm!

I don't like the roof deal, it's way too high and the consequesces of falling get more real every year.
            Bill,

Comment

Clark, I mean Bill......Dude, from personal experience I can say you are going too far.
              I've been running off of 3 exterior 20 amp circuits as well as 2 20 amp garage circuits for the past couple of years. Last year I added about 4500 more lights (for a total of around 18,000 or 19,000) and a few more "lawn ornaments"...officially crossing the line, we couldn't run the pool, clothes dryer, or AC at the same time. After a $750 bill from Tampa Electric for the month, I learned my lesson; not to mention the rate increase they were just awarded.
              This yr I am going with zero outdoor lights, told my wife to go nuts inside with the decorations and that I'm just too busy to spend the time.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                After a $750 bill from Tampa Electric for the month,
                Holy Crap! What are you guy's paying per kilo watt? That would make my carbon footprint about a size .1

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Not to hi-jack the thread, but you asked:
                  customer charge of $8.50
                  energy charge of $.05061/kWh
                  fuel charge of $.05241/kWh
                  taxes and franchise fees about 15%

This is before the recently approved 12% increase.

Basically - my Christmas lights increased my usage from a range of 65-70 kWh per day (typical for me in Dec./Jan) to over 200 per day. As a baseline, looking at my Oct 2008 bill, my usage was 2,777 kWh for the month (it was a pretty hot month and the AC was running as much as peak summer). Typical summer usage is 90-95 kWh per and drops to the above mentioned 60-70 a day in winter.
                  Yes, I know, I am an electrical junky.....that is never going to change much. Trying to do my part by buying and using sustainable/recycleable every day items as well as cutting my dependance on foreign oil (i.e. - gasoline) by about 50% this year - by delegating and working from home. Wish I could afford to cover my property with solar panels, I could almost consider myself to be "green" then.
                  Just can't give up my electronic gadgets.

RT

RT

Comment

Got to love Teco huh RT... After my electric bill two years ago I made a huge change in my exterior lights; I went LED. My bill dropped about 65% but allowed me to use more lights. I still have a good mix of nice (not tacky) inflatables but mostly just lights.

Not to change the subject but I spoke to Bob Ruckers, mfg of Heatstop-50 yesterday. He said that the HS-50 only needs a day or two to cure enough to fire. In fact they say that after 24hrs in a fire box you can use it. I've paid attention to the 'wait a week' to cure in this forum but has anyone fired theirs up sooner? Impatient?Me? Come on..
                    Bill,

Comment

I am going to finish building my 36" dome in the spring and I have a few new guy questions if you don't mind.

Do you angle the bottom and side of each of your bricks or did you just use mortar? It looks like you cut angles to the sides of each brick.

String method - If your dome is 42" I am assuming you have a mark 21" from the center and the inside of each ring needs to be at this marking even as you go up to the higher rings. Is this correct? Also, should the angle on the top of the brick be flush with the string when it is pulled tight over the top of the brick?

Last ? - Did you cut your bricks smaller as you go up to accommodate for the tighter rings? If you did angle the sides, how do you know what angle to make them?

Sorry for all of the new guy questions. I have been following your build and I am very impressed by your work. It seems that keeps things simple with the string is sometimes the cleanest route.

Thanks again, Scott...
                      Scott...
                      Smuth's Build
                      www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

Hi Scott,

I'll answer your questions with what methods I used. There are many to choose from, this just felt easy to me.

Originally posted by smuth10 View Post
                        Do you angle the bottom and side of each of your bricks or did you just use mortar? It looks like you cut angles to the sides of each brick.

I only angled the sides but did so front to back and then top to bottom

String method - If your dome is 42" I am assuming you have a mark 21" from the center and the inside of each ring needs to be at this marking even as you go up to the higher rings. Is this correct? Also, should the angle on the top of the brick be flush with the string when it is pulled tight over the top of the brick?

Yes I marked a spot at 21" that I pull tight to ensure the top face of each brick is at the proper placement. As you pull the string up it gives you a perfect half circle along with the proper angle. If you pull the string and move the back of your brick up until it's flush you will have the correct angle.

Last ? - Did you cut your bricks smaller as you go up to accommodate for the tighter rings? If you did angle the sides, how do you know what angle to make them?

I did cut the bricks smaller as I went up. I'll try and post a few pictures to show you what I did but for the first 4-5 rows I took a half brick, set it on the course dry with shims using the string to get the proper pitch. I pre-marked the brick showing dead center front to back and then aligned the brick to line up with the string. I took the string and pulled it to the left back corner and then simply drew a line where the string crossed over the brick. I repeated the process on the right side. Now you have a perfectly shaped brick that can be repeated. The second cut is to remove the space between them when you angle them inwards. Pictures make it way easier than I can explain. There were many threads that have great detail on this. I'll see if I can locate them plus post a quick pic of my method.

Sorry for all of the new guy questions. I have been following your build and I am very impressed by your work. It seems that keeps things simple with the string is sometimes the cleanest route.

Thanks again, Scott...

Ask away; thats what everyone is here for . As you can see this forum is a huge help!

Thanks for the kind words Scott, good luck with your build.
                        Bill,

Comment

Bill,
                          Since Scott (smuth10) just asked about the string and how great it works for A LOT of the oven builds, I want to note (and really ask) about Ken's dome which in his words is a "squished ellipse thingie", not a half sphere. That would mean adjusting the knot on your string every row. I drew up on autocad (I hope its clear in the attachment) my dome section which is 2 circles, a few inches apart and tied together at the top to acheive the "squished ellipse". But so many of you used a quarter or half circle of plywood as a form and made a great looking and working oven that it all seems to work out.
                          -Dino
                          Attached Files
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Dino,

I'm not so sure I'll be exactly at 21"when I get to the top. My guess is that I'll be somewhere around 20". From what I have read it's somewhat of a science but not an exact one. I used the string to give me the arch angle as I went up. If it leaves me at 20" then I think I'll be ok; it just works out so easy. I barely used the mark in the string. What I did do is make sure each course was at the same angle as the adjacent bricks and flush with face on the course below; so far it has worked out pretty well. I finished another course tonight, 2 more to go. I'm very confident I'll be done with the dome on Friday-Sat which will give me a one month build (my goal). Then the facade of bricks go up along with insulation. Next weekend I get to light fires, start adding vermiculite/portland and then finally my brick exterior. I'm pleased with everything so far; well there was one piece I put in tonight thats driving me nuts. I didn't see the joint until I cleaned the mortar off just a minute ago. Maybe I'll pull it out tomorrow if it looks that bad in the light.

Take it easy Dino,
                            Bill,

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for answering all of my questions. That helps a lot. I thought of a couple more of course. What exactly are you using those other strings for? Maybe I missed something earlier in the post, but what is a screen? Last one, how big is the opening for your chimney?

It is killing me that I cannot go out and work on mine. Damn Michigan weather!

Thanks again, Scott...
                              Scott...
                              Smuth's Build
                              www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

No worries Scott,

The strings are a plumb and level line to show me both the center of my oven along with where the next row of bricks need to be for the facade. The screen I refer to is my screen enclosure; I have the arch and chimney facade inside, the rest will be outside with the bugs. Both strings show me where the screen will be when it's installed. This is helping me with brick placement.

I was only able to find 12"X8"X24" clay flue pipes so if you go back in this thread you'll see what I did. I cut and tapered one to be 12" (11.5"inside) at bottom and 8" (inside)at top. The other pipe I cut to be 8" (inside)square X 24" high. My opening inside the vent area starts around 13"-14" wide by 8" deep and tapers up to 11.5" wide by 8"deep which is the size of the bottom flue pipe.

You can always move to Florida! It's a bit cold today, seriously. We started out in Tampa this morning around 39 but have moved up to a very nice sunny 70.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving,
                                Bill,

Comment

Working...
                                X