• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Originally posted by drogers View Post
    I continue to be impressed by your workmanship and how clean you keep your work area.
    The oven is looking very nice.
    Don
    Hey thanks Don,

I appreciate the kind words. I try to do what I can with what I have. I told my wife yesterday when I explained the string method that the Romans had little more than this technology and look what they did. She's still convinced that aliens helped them but hey, that's a whooooole nother thread.

Honestly I think that this is the first project that I actually tried to keep somewhat clean along the way. Probably because it's literally just outside our sliding glass doors to the pool deck and I need to keep that area safe and somewhat in order (plus it's the first one I posted on the web ). If I had built this out back like I had originally planned it would look like a post war zone I'm sure.

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    Love the double arch!!!!
    Thanks!

I went down to Ybor city a week ago and took a good look at how they did their arches back in the day. Almost of them were doubled up. (I love Ybor City. If you ever get a chance to come to Tampa a trip there is a must. Go to the Columbia restaurant; they just celebrated their 100th anniversary; tons of brick work) I absolutely love this look. I took the design, changed it so the second is recessed, and then the next row that will lock in the arches along with tying in the chimney may be recessed yet again. I have to pull my screen string (thats the one running horizontal in some of the shots) and see where it is going to hit so I can make the proper adjustments.

Today I hope to get the chimney up (first section) and then another row.

The Christmas tree is going up today along with starting on the exterior illumination project that will be visible from space... I just love getting on the roof when it's 35' high with steep pitches ... Oh yeah, and 30 mph winds and 55 degrees out. HO Ho Ho

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the kind words. I like the bamboo stick idea, I was looking around for something to use, that may just be what I use. I thought about simply hot gluing small blocks or pcs of cut brick on the faces of each brick with a small lip sticking up. That way when I set the next row they cannot slip down and I can also clean up without anything in my way...

About the cold; we live in Florida for a reason....NO COLD... I had my fill of that mess up north. When it gets below 50 I get grumpy and sometimes downright nasty. Well at least you were able to come home and have a nice glass of wine along with your team winning!

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by christo View Post
    Really like the double arch. It all looks like its coming together really well.

I agree - totally love the Chicago bricks!!!!

Better hurry to get the bricks laid and enough curing for Dec 13th!!!!

I'm in Orlando week after Tgiving - let me know if you need any help!!!

Christo
    Thank you Christo!

I'm trying to hurry but not too much. I think I can get the dome complete in a day or so but this time of year gets so crazy.

If I cannot get what I need done in time I may just take you up on that help! I'm 45 minutes from Mickey Mouse.

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• drogers
    replied

I continue to be impressed by your workmanship and how clean you keep your work area.
    The oven is looking very nice.
    Don

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Love the double arch!!!!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I really like the way those old chicago bricks look. Very nice. You're not too far off now! You may not ever need much more than a prop to fight gravity- I really didn't need much with the heatstop- just for a few minutes, until it set enough. What really worked the best was just bamboo sticks wedged into place. By the time I was ready to do a new row, the bricks were set enough to take them out!

I don't wanna hear about cold. I just sat thru the worst game I ever saw (well, worst game that we actually won) in wind and about 26 degrees. I nearly froze. We were forced to come home and have wine, cheese and fruit just to warm up!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Really like the double arch. It all looks like its coming together really well.

I agree - totally love the Chicago bricks!!!!

Better hurry to get the bricks laid and enough curing for Dec 13th!!!!

I'm in Orlando week after Tgiving - let me know if you need any help!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Well I managed to get a few more rows done along with a nice start on the front entry. I must say, I love the Old Chicago Bricks!

I finished another row today but had to stop early to spend some time with the fam. Boy the kids have grown...

Tomorrow I hope to have the next row completed which should leave me with just 1-2 more along with the keystone!

The bricks should be far enough along tomorrow to get the screen up.

I think I need a break from this but I know that I'll take a few weeks off and need to have it fired up by December 13th for my Christmas party.

25 days into it;it feels like 100!

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help along the way. I wouldn't be as far along or have such a nice design if it wasn't for this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-22-08 Oven Build 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	273058 Sitting area view.

Name:	11-22-08 Oven Build 003.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	273059 Looking straight in; cant wait till thats roaring

Name:	11-22-08 Oven Build 004.JPG
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	273060 Blimp Shot. I thought that I would need the grips but the mortar held them in place. So far it's just been the string and my hands.

Name:	11-22-08 Oven Build 007.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	273061 Kids took a surprise shot, it was 40 degrees out, 35 knot wind, I was coooooooold, and it's freakin FLORIDA

Name:	11-22-08 Oven Build 005.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	273062 Another straight on shot

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by aks801 View Post
    What a great build! Definitely going to school on this.
    Hey thanks!

This has definitely been a 'learn as you go' process for me. Even with experience with most of the tools, mortar, etc. it still makes you think.... a lot.

It's been a lot of fun so far.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
    Hey B,
    I cannot tell if that is the full brick design or the half brick design you posted above...

Drake
    Hi Drake,

It's the half brick design. I actually was able to get another row on the dome complete tonight along with the brick arch and base . It looks pretty cool wet so I hope it looks half as good dry. Over the weekend I hope to get the dome complete; just a few more rows to go.

Too tired for picture posting; hopefully I can get some posted tomorrow if I can get home before it gets dark

Leave a comment:

• aks801
    replied

What a great build! Definitely going to school on this.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Hey B,
    I cannot tell if that is the full brick design or the half brick design you posted above...

Drake

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Wow, those are some cool brick photos! Yep, lots of options there.

Well, whatever you decide on, I can hardly wait to see what it'll look like. (This is me being helpful about your bricklaying question )
    Thank you Frances,

I thought that since I was born and raised in Chicago it would only make sense to use recycled bricks from my home town. I like the color and aesthetics they give; not to mention a little pc of history as well.

I think I'm going with this entry.

Name:	Arch Idea 11-19-08 013.jpg
Size:	884.5 KB
ID:	273046

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Hard to forget that one! I still can't believe that was built by an amateur with no building experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X