• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    Everything you've done looks great so far!
    Thanks Mark!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Your entry way and flue tile looks great! Really quite professional. I'm enjoying your build.
    Thanks Mike, I got the tip on the flue tiles from you and Les!

So far so good. Besides a small set back with the bad mortar this has gone relatively smooth. Heck, if I had light when I got home from work I'd probably be finished.

Thanks again,

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by drogers View Post
    It will be interesting how you handle the screen enclosure and the chimney in the area near it.
    Interesting is just one of the words I can think of . I think the design I came up with should work out just fine. It's hard to describe but I should have the Chicago brick face done in a few weeks so I can remove all the lovely Florida critters that decided to move in.

How cold was it in your area this morning Drogers? We have frost so it must be a frozen tundra where you are

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

I'm curious how you are handling the cage (screen enclosure), as well. The location you have chosen is similar to where my first choice was, but dealing with the cage and the fact I would probably not have room for a door, led me just outside the encosure. It sure would be nice to avoid the mosquitos...yet another oven to be jealous of.
    Very nice work so far, I love these flared entries that have become so popular since my build...damn, there is the jealousy again.

RT

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Everything you've done looks great so far!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Your entry way and flue tile looks great! Really quite professional. I'm enjoying your build.

Leave a comment:

• drogers
    replied

It will be interesting how you handle the screen enclosure and the chimney in the area near it.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

11-16-08

Ok, I've completed my objectives this weekend and even had time for my 'other love' (pizza oven) as my wife calls it. Work, yard work, and a very disappointing loss of the world heavy weight UFC title that my man Randy 'The Natural' Couture endured when he had to battle the Freak-of-Nature Brock Lesner last night all got in the way of my oven build. Despite all that I managed to stay on task.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0278.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	893.2 KB
ID:	272986 The arch entry came out good I feel. Not perfect but I am trying to remember that a lot of this will be covered up.

Name:	CIMG0279.jpg
Size:	944.6 KB
ID:	272987 I had to place blocks to hold up a tarp since it decided to rain yesterday as the cold front moves in . I hear that areas close to me may have frost tomorrow morning... The next row should completely take the arch out of the picture and allow me to finish it up.

Name:	CIMG0280.jpg
Size:	868.2 KB
ID:	272988 Blimp shot of the arch and chimney opening. I made a template and pre cut the bricks to have the right size opening ahead of time. I also have a full brick pad that will sit between the chimney and this opening. It will give me the extra couple of inches needed to get over the top of the screen enclosure along with reducing the amount of heat that directly hits my chimney. I still have to mortar the pcs on each side of the arch but I was tired and had enough fun for one weekend.

Name:	CIMG0281.jpg
Size:	921.4 KB
ID:	272989 Close up shot of the entry showing the vent design. Hopefully it will be good enough as it is. I can always grind away at the bricks to make the opening bigger and encourage the smoke to cooperate.

Name:	CIMG0282.jpg
Size:	923.5 KB
ID:	272990 I took the advice of Les and Mike and cut my clay pipes. It went very quickly and was way too easy. I simply found the center of my pipes, measured 4" from both sides (inside), marked the lines and cut them with my grinder. Next I took my grinder and made about a 3/16th" deep groove all the way down the center of the edges that were going to be mortared together to give it kind of a biscuit joint if you will; mortar being the biscuit. I took the other one and just made it 8"x8" ID square.

Oh yeah; that's the new Rigid wet saw. I must say; it's not built as well as the MK and if and when it ever needs a new motor it will be a huge issue. The MK is belt driven so the motor is easily replaced and not that expensive and has way better water spray wich makes the blades last longer. The MK blade is over 3 years old and has seen much use (it belongs to the place I use to work and it's seen a ton of abuse). The Rigid blade is just days old and is already 25% gone. I like the compound miter capability but at this pace it will cost me $$ in blades. I may go back to the MK... Sorry guys; I cant stand paying that much for something that just wont cut it... no pun intended.

Tomorrow night I hope to have the next row done. Three days of business travel and then on to the next few rows. Who knows; I may be lighting fires over Thanksgiving weekend!

Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Mark,

They were 19 x 8 x 12 inches (outside dimensions). I bought it at Basalite in Reno - they sell pretty much anything concrete.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Les,
    Did you get your flue pipe at a masonary supply. What were the dimensions of the pipe before you cut them. Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Thanks, guys. My husband (Les calls him Wilson, but his name's Mark) never doubted I could do it. I feel better about mine when I can bake something without incinerating it!

Just think, Bill, once you're finished with building it, you get to learn to cook in it! Pizza is actually easy- you just stay with it and turn it. It's the bread I'm struggling with. Patience is not one of my virtues, but I'm trying to learn.

Leave a comment:

• drogers
    replied

The discussion of technique is so much better than only having photos and wondering, how was that done? I am envious of your very crisp looking build.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    I'm continually amazed by how much better my oven turned out than it should have, given my lack of masonry skills and tidiness!
    Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with Les,

Yes true brick mason have many skills that would be an advantage with one of these ovens but the patience and passion that must be present to actually commit and complete one is truly unique. Your oven is absolutely fantastic; I hope mine looks as good as yours when complete.

Thank you for the kind words

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    I'm continually amazed by how much better my oven turned out than it should have, given my lack of masonry skills and tidiness!
    Elizabeth! Don't sell yourself short - you (and Wilson) did a fantastic job. Be proud!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I used the string in much the same way- (without the accurate cutting and tidy mortaring, of course ) I would place my brick, "feel" the front corners into place next to the previous brick, and then measure with the string to see how much I had to shim the back to get the right angle. Works great.

Your dome is looking really good and your clean as you go work ethic is greatly to be praised! I'm afraid I'm just not made that way.... I'm continually amazed by how much better my oven turned out than it should have, given my lack of masonry skills and tidiness!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X