Clear All

• Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-1-09 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	2752026 months later and still no countertop. But, I have made a few improvements. I added stone veneer to the base with an overgrouted application along with a neat brick detail for the door surround. I also made a cool brick face to my hearth that will one day support my countertop. The top will sit on the bricks and be level with the floor of the oven. I'm making a wooden door for the wood storage area to match the door to the oven. I thought this would tie in nice with the old world look I'm going for.

Name:	6-1-09 003.JPG
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	275203 Here is a close up of the hearth face. I chose this design from a few pictures I had from Italy. They used so many details in thier designs; I wanted to have that same look/feel.

Name:	6-1-09 004.JPG
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	275204 I cant remember who asked me to post the picture of how I tied the screen enclosure in to the build but here it is. I still have to trim the screen in a few places but the measurements and screen placement was exactly where I planned it to be. I know, I'm amazed as well. As you can see there is plenty of work left on the oven exterior. I have the bricks for the brick dome I'm planning to place on top of the stucco shell but that may wait until it gets cooler...

Name:	6-1-09 005.JPG
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	275205 This is the view from the sitting area.

I still have not decided on a countertop yet. I once thought to just use granite. It's easy to keep up but not very 'old world'. We have toyed aroud the idea of concrete tops and had a few ideas. I can color the concrete to have a light rust-brick base color and then use darker stain to make it have some cool movement. Another thought was to use crushed up old chicago bricks to tie in the colors. Once cured I'd grind the top down to expose the brick aggregate. Last idea was to use soapstone. I can fabricate it myself and leave it with a natural finish. It would have the look but I'd be worried about it holding too much heat and burning someone who touches it...

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Hi Bill,
    nice to hear from you again. So you got some rain, smoked some ribs and did cosmetic work on your oven. Sounds great. Hey, I'm so jealous of anyone cooking anything on their ovens but when it's stuff besides pizza, I'm always impressed. Glad you're no longer in a "no-burn" situation and up to cooking again. I'm always going thru your builds posts cuz you've done such a great job. Post a current pic if you can.
    Take care, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hey Mike!

Wow, it's been a long time since I was on here. Many new projects have come and gone. Plus Florida has been under a 100% no burn ban for months so no pizzas here for a while.

Ahhhhh, the pipe. It's a super high tech gizmo I added during the build..... I placed my 8'X10' patio table umbrella on the dome so I wouldn't get a sunburn! What you see is just the pole sitting on the dome.

Wish it was something really cool like a smoke compression intake (I have no idea of what that is, just made it up).

I still haven't completed my counter top but I've added some cool things. I'll update my pictures soon.

Take care and send us some rain if you can.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Hey, Bill. I just reviewed your thread again. On post 170, page 17, the second photo is a profile of the oven. What is that behind the clay chimney flue? Looks like a pipe of some sort.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...r-2008-019.jpg

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Bill,
    I can relate, we've been using the oven even though its not finished. Although we haven't ventured past pizza and cookies. I ordered a tuscan grill so we'll try some meat when it comes.
    As far as your counters I am going with granite. It looks great and is also great for pizza prep. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks Greg,

We've enjoyed this oven at least three times a week. Everything I've cooked in it has turned out better than expected. Last weekend I made bread, Turkish Baguettes to be exact, and they were absolutely awesome.

I still have to get my countertop finished. Not sure if I want to do granite or go for another project involving concrete....?

Thanks again for the kind words,

Bill

Leave a comment:

• geisen
    replied

I just finished your 23 page thread and have that "Oh darn" feeling you get when you finish a good book. I can't wait for the sequel. Framing my insulation hearth today. Your workmanship is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks Bob,

I think I'm going to get some of the aluminum pizza trays and load them up. The family likes the crust a nice golden brown on the bottom without any char. I think that adds character but then again I'll eat anything. :-) If I can get 8-10 of them I'll be in good shape.... And then still crack open a cold one.

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hey Dino,

You'll be cooking in no time.

I put the log on the coals for smoke. Once the ribs were cooked (nicely browned) I shut the door and let it cook. I moved the coals to one side, had the rack over to the other side, door closed...and BAM! Just like Emeril!

I've found that these ovens are VERY forgiving. Well except when you put a pizza down on 900f bricks... Then you make charcoal...

Take care Dino and good luck,

Leave a comment:

• Bob C
    replied

Bill,
    your pies do look great and i'd bet they taste even better. Les had a great idea...fabricate six or so of those peels with shorter handles and load 'em up. Once you get first six of eight pies in and out and the OOHS and AAHS out of the way, the natives will be a little satisfied. crack open a cold one and enjoy...then keep cookin'.
    Have fun.
    Bob C

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Hey Bill, it's great to read about your cooking adventures in the WFO. I'm cooking vicariously through your posts until I'm done.

RE: the ribs: Did you throw the log on the coals specifically to create the "smoke billowing out the top" to help smoke the ribs or just to add more heat? And did you leave the oven open or use a partial outer door to hold in smoke?
    You are quite the cook, dude.
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks for the feedback. I agree; more than likely it would give it a reason to expand even more.

It cooks great and is still standing so for that I'm grateful.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

My cracks used to close up between firings. Now they're permanent. Don't sweat them. They will do what they do. I figure, if you fill them, you just give the dome a new starting point at which expansion will begin, ultimately ending in even wider cracks. Just a theory.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Well the oven is getting more use than I expected. Like everything else, the more comfortable you are with it the more you'll use it. Over the weekend I made ribs. Grilled half on the gas grill like I normally do and then made the other half in the oven. Nothing fancy, just had a fire going, placed 2 firebricks just inside the door opening, set the SS rack on them. moved the coals to the side and threw a large log on the flattened coals. Smoke was billowing out of the chimney (which by the way works super great!) and I cooked them for just over an hour. Perfection doesn't even describe how they turned out. WOW!

I was wondering why one of the initial cracks inside the oven keeps sporadically appearing? I'm starting to think that it may be due to rapid heat up when using it as a fireplace (which we do A LOT). I cannot remember if I read that or I'm convincing myself that it's bad. Either case the crack appears to be credit card thickness when hot, then hairline when cool. Sometimes it's not as big, sometimes its larger. My fear is that it's moving and will continue to crack or degrade. I filled the first ones after the oven was cured. This one was the largest but never had any smoke come through. No weird hot spots on the exterior shell, everything is within 2 degrees F after days of heat.

I'd like to fill them but I am worried that if I do they'll crack even more or cause a shift and crack other areas.

It cooks great, stays hot long, and looks so cool. Hey, that sounds like me!

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Bill, what I've had luck with (Bread Baker's Apprentice recipe is the one that I use, too) is to make all the dough before hand and freeze each recipe in the 6 dough balls. Then I just take them out day of and use as normal. It really cuts down on the prep time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X