• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Day One, October 18th, 2008.

After taking waaaaaay too ong deciding on where to put my oven I (my wife) decided that there were just too many bugs, misquitos,, etc. out in the back nature area where I had planned on placing it so I (wife again) decided to have it as part of our pool area thats screened in.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-3-30-08 045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	272748Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-3-30-08 043.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	272749
    The designated area is on the opposite of the outdoor kitchen.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0148.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	272747
    Now all I have to do is move the door to the opposite side of the column, remove the screen, remove the pavers, and then lay block. Piece of cake right?

More to come...

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks Frances,

I'm realizing that it's very difficult to attempt perfection with imperfect products . These bricks are crazy. I don't believe I have had two the exact same size, some are warped, and most have chipped edges... It drives me crazy I tell ya.

As far as the mortar goes, you're right. It is best to keep moist after it's mixed and set but in the bag it needs to stay very dry. Ive seen bags of thinset mortar mix up, trowel, and stick just like it normally would only to find the next day that it's just sandy and no bonding occured. The same effect as if it were once frozen. It kills the mortar.

I'm going to read up on how to post pics now and should have them on in just a few.

Thanks!!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Good luck!

A perfectionist, eh? Nothing wrong with that though, it sounds as if you know just what you're doing - I would never even have noticed rocks in my mortar. As for the humidity, I thought it was good to keep it humid to begin with, and once you start firing the oven up, it will dry out really well anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    started a topic BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Well I really thought that I'd be able to start the actual build yesterday but work somehow found it's way to the top. I decided to take today and tomorrow off to get a good start. At 3:00pm I was done with emails, phone calls, and trying to convince everyone that I was in fact on vacation and needed to get going... What a vacation!

I managed to set half of the soldier course including the right side of the arch base. Tomorrow will be the left side and maybe the first course.

I'm a bit miffed about the Heatstop-50 although I know that it is not the mfg fault but after I spent a ton of time getting my cuts nice, clean, and tight, so I would only need maybe 1/16th mortar in between them I mixed up a very small amount of the mortar (not knowing how it would set up) and proceeded to get started. While spreading the mortar with a margin trowel I noticed that the mix had rocks! Small BB size cured mortar! Boy did my gage peak! I struggled with it the entire time. Each time I tried to get the bricks tight I would hear 'scrape' in between the bricks. I managed to make it work and feel ok about the way it turned out but my worry now is that the mortar has already hydrated and maybe already cured. We live in a swamp here in FL. It's humid all the time and mortar does not humid climate; well I guess I should say it does. I spent almost 14 years in the tile and stone business; I've seen what happens to mortar that has been exposed to too much humidity... Nothing; it just doesn't set up.

I hope that all is well and it's just a few rocks; I can sift them out it if does end up setting. The good news is that I only used about 2 mixed cups for 50% of the soldier course so I should have plenty with two bags. I expected this stuff to be more sticky like non-sanded grout; it's a little sandy, although fine, and I had no issues with it kicking off too fast (I hope thats not a bad sign).

Pictures will be posted tomorrow. I have been going solo and my photographers haven't been around (kids) to take those all too funny candid shots.

Wish me luck!
Working...
X