• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandrasco
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

11-8-08

After a very long but successful business trip On Saturday I managed to get the second and third row set in no time . It helps a lot when you cut them first; well at least it did for me. I had to shave off a little here and there but for the most part it went up rather quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	948.7 KB
ID:	272877 Second and third row set

Name:	CIMG0254.jpg
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	272878 Arch entry ready for the rest of the bricks

Name:	CIMG0255.jpg
Size:	878.8 KB
ID:	272879 Sitting area shot

Name:	CIMG0256.jpg
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	272880 Blimp shot

Name:	CIMG0258.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	272881 Another angle

Ready for the next row!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks,

Thats weird that he stated that it air dried and didn't cure. This definitely kicked off , appeared to get a little warm, and then started to get hard. Like I said before, as long as it stays together I'm good. The consistency is like peanut butter; Bob confirmed that this was correct. I also soaked the bricks until the bubbles stopped... I was thinking that there was too much water in the bricks and it was not allowing the mortar to absorb.

Either way I hope it stays together and cooks great pizzas!

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• mannextdoor
    replied

It looks like your doing a great job. When I had spoken with Bob, (owner of HS50) He told me that there are two manufacturing facilities for HS50. One bagged in brown bags, the other in white. He assured me that the contents where the same. He also said that his product was not hydraulic and did not cure. It air dried. After one day of dry time the mortar was ready for fire. The reason we cure the oven is to drive the moisture out of the bricks slowly. Bob also told me if you are getting hair line cracks when it dried, you are mixing your mortar to wet. Soak your bricks for a little while, so the brick doesn?t pull water out of your mortar. But mix the mortar a little drier. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Looking forward to following your build.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

If I haven't told all of you before how much I hate this time of year let me tell you again... I hate it when it is dark when I get home! I did manage to get the next row cut along with the next level of entry bricks. Tomorrow night I'll mortar them in and then get back to it on Friday night.

Is it normal for areas of mortar to have what it appears to be shrink cracks? It's very minor and only where I filled in some areas of the back bricks. The areas were larger than what the Mfg says it will fill with out shrinking... Sounds like an obvious answer but with my recent mortar issue I am going to play it safe and ask, ask, ask!

Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by drogers View Post
    Very nice workmanship. I like the angle that you put in the opening.
    You can send any extra rain up to Citrus county.
    Don
    Thanks Don,

I really wanted to be able to see the fire from a larger area; that entry angle allows me to see it from even inside the house which will be way cool.

I'll send all the rain your way for now; we've received so much over here it's silly. I know a few folks up your way, thats quite a haul from where I live.

Thanks again,

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    Looks like you are going to have a oven the quality of Les and Ken. Great, clean work!
    Thank you very much!

I don't think I'm at the level of Les and Ken but I did read their posts about a hundred times so maybe some of their craftsmanship will rub off on me.

Thanks again,

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by staestc View Post
    Outstanding. Off to an excellent start!
    Travis
    Thanks Travis! I appreciate the encouragement; I'm going to need it.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Wow, that looks great! Coming along really nicely.
    Thanks! This is one of those projects where you definitely learn as you go.

Leave a comment:

• drogers
    replied

Very nice workmanship. I like the angle that you put in the opening.
    You can send any extra rain up to Citrus county.
    Don

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Looks like you are going to have a oven the quality of Les and Ken. Great, clean work!

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Outstanding. Off to an excellent start!
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Wow, that looks great! Coming along really nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

11-2-08

After starting the day out with very heavy rains I managed to get the first course up. It went ok, not as smoothly and neat as I wanted but I moved up wards and my mortar is getting hard. That in itself is a major improvement over the other day.

Name:	CIMG0242.jpg
Size:	873.7 KB
ID:	272835 The string was not used; it's in an old hole that was drilled before I decided on the final location. I placed it there today and luckily realized it was not centered...

Name:	CIMG0243.jpg
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	272836 Blimp shot. The black dot on the right is an ant that I couldn't resist smashing my thumb into... One of those days

Name:	CIMG0244.jpg
Size:	920.5 KB
ID:	272837 Entry shot...

Name:	CIMG0245.jpg
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	272838 Side view

Name:	CIMG0246.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	272839 Ready for the next row!

I'll try and get that done by Tuesday as I have to travel all week. The kids are begging to go on the boat next weekend so I want to get at least 2 more rows by next Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thanks Christo,

I'm sure I'll laugh about all this later but I am really shooting for a Thanksgiving turkey in the dome! I'm not going to rush anything, just stick to my schedule if weather permits. I went out to start today and it's pouring out! I'm thinking I'll get the large umbrella from the table...

By the way, your build is awesome! I love the Geodomes like you and Dmun created. I think thats such a cool look.

I'm grateful to have this forum for help and encouragement; I know how easy it will be to put this off for a while and before you know it it will be spring.

I still haven't decided on an exterior finish yet. I am going to create another dome and will more than likely use brick. Another thought I had (After Dmun suggested I believe) is to use porcelain tiles cut into brick dimensions and then wrap the exterior with them. I can use an additive in the grout to keep out any water and as a prep coat I could use more of the wall bonding agent; its waterproof as well.

I'm getting waaaaay ahead of myself. Hopefully it will stop raining and I can get the 1st course of the dome up. I'm going to make my template/support for the arch and get that going.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Wow!!

Sounds like an accelerated build!

I took a week off work and had my sister and brother in law visit when I did the major work on mine.

I had a little setback as well, pressed on - and am fabuously happy with my oven. Seemed like a huge setback at the time!

I can vouch for the exterior fiber reinforced coating you used on your base. I love it!! It's been over a year with no cracking (well one crack -= after I ran the vibratory compactor over the patio 2 weeks ago and came within 1/8 inch of the base - hindsight moment...

Looks like a great start!!!

Glad to see you did not let a little setback slow you down!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X