• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karl
    replied
    Re: Justin Pompeii

Hello Justin,

Careful with that opening form. You should put in a few wedges to lift the form slightly or you may have troble getting it out after completing the arch.

Or maybe you have done something clever there which I cannot see.

karl

Leave a comment:

• oventhusiast
    replied

This looks to be another A++ oven!!! Get plenty of exercise because a finished oven is good for about a ten to fifteen pound gain!!!
    Rick

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Got 2 more courses done today, yay!

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Bill is right, once you get to the dome, things really begin to fly! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

It will go faster than you think Justin. Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Heres the latest progress photo. Things haven't progressed as fast as i had wished, but it does feel good to begin the dome section. i hope to make a couple of extra courses this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

I left an expansion space in mine, just to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Originally posted by toyota08 View Post
    Great looking job Justin i cut a expansion joint across my chimney area due to
    the stainless steel flue mounting warping causing 2 cracks to run across the dome as i fired the oven.
    I would only do this after all else has failed mate.
    Cheers Peter
    Hi peter, how did you mount your chimney? i have a 6inch ID/ 8 inch OD chimney with a cowl, but no good way to secure it at the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• toyota08
    replied

Great looking job Justin i cut a expansion joint across my chimney area due to
    the stainless steel flue mounting warping causing 2 cracks to run across the dome as i fired the oven.
    I would only do this after all else has failed mate.
    Cheers Peter

Leave a comment:

• nodoubt68
    replied

Hi Justin, love ya work so far. I also like your design with your dual firewood boxes. Good luck matey, looking forward to watching your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Looks great Justin!

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Ok, so i made a very elaborate formwork for the insulating slab layer, only problem was that i made the mix too watery and now it taking forever to dry (yes i am impatient) so now im doing other stuff like making forms for door arches etc while i wait.
    I cant wait to get the floor on!
    Last edited by Justin; 11-24-2008, 03:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Originally posted by exipnos View Post
    Hi Justin,

Just a recommendation. I'm not sure if you have decided on your dome assembly method but if you have not then I definitely recommend that you go ahead and taper your bricks. I have not and I regret it.

Cheers,
    Kosta
    I was originally planning on not tapering my bricks but i am now thinking otherwise. ill probably end up cutting them as im a bit of a perfectionist.

Originally posted by amber View Post
    justin,

I've heard about people leaving a break between teh arch and dome, but for expansion/contraction reasons. I have no idea if this is a good move or not. Maybe someone who has done it/thought about it can weigh in?
    I hope so I guess its not that bg of a deal then since noone seems to do this and thier ovens all work fine..

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Don't worry, that's all part of the construction process. You'd probably be doing something wrong if you didn't feel like that...

When I was building my dome there were a lot of discussions about having a thermal break between the dome and the archway. I can't remember if anyone actually went that way in the end - the consensus seemed to be that it would be more trouble than it was worth. The heat has to go out somewhere eventually. I believe its also a structural thing, if you have an added break just there, the archway may not tie in with the dome so well.

Somebody even had these really neat plans for an inivisible thermal break inside the dome floor just under the doorway. Does anyone remember who that was?
    Yeah probably just better to keep it simple. thanks for the advice everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by Justin View Post
    i just have minor freak outs some times and feel im designing this thing the wrong way.

Don't worry, that's all part of the construction process. You'd probably be doing something wrong if you didn't feel like that...

When I was building my dome there were a lot of discussions about having a thermal break between the dome and the archway. I can't remember if anyone actually went that way in the end - the consensus seemed to be that it would be more trouble than it was worth. The heat has to go out somewhere eventually. I believe its also a structural thing, if you have an added break just there, the archway may not tie in with the dome so well.

Somebody even had these really neat plans for an inivisible thermal break inside the dome floor just under the doorway. Does anyone remember who that was?

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

justin,

I've heard about people leaving a break between teh arch and dome, but for expansion/contraction reasons. I have no idea if this is a good move or not. Maybe someone who has done it/thought about it can weigh in?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X