Mark's WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark's WFO

Mark - leave the forms for 2-3 days. In regard to the tie end - each course of bricks will "step" closer as you go up. Keep a good eye on the height as you wrap around. This is where many of us get the infamous droop. Go to my pic's, I have a few for this area.

Good luck.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My droop is infamous? Sweet. I thought I was just an unusually bad mason.

Arch looks fabulous, Mark! Another step toward a truly stunning oven.
      Nikki

Comment

Thanks Nikki, Where have you been, I've been checking your thread to see your progress. That's great you are starting the curing fires.

Mark

Comment

We were in DC for a little over a week, visiting my parents. I'm glad to be back and starting the fires! This project has been a long time coming, and it's tantalizing to be so close to a workable oven!
          Nikki

Comment

Nice arch!! Keep up the good work.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi Mark,

Looks great bro. Regarding the tie in, I really didn't have any more trouble or difficulty with that part than I did with the courses. It was obviously a slower process but I pretty much built the arch and course at the same time. I believe my pics show what I did. I got to the part where I had to start thinking about the vent and finished the arch and simply tied in the courses as I went. I've had this thing freakin hot and so far no cracks in the arch area or any movement at all. Just a few small hairline cracks in a few areas in the dome walls that didn't seem to follow any specific reasoning; they just appeared just as I've read they do...

Don't sweat it; just remember that gravity always wins eventually so be sure that they're supported-locked in some way. Les' build has some great examples of what to do.

Good luck,
              Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

Bill, I agree with on the slower process thing. I started the tie-in today and didn't get much done. The short days do not help! I'll try for another course tomorrow. Thanks to all.

Mark

Comment

Well I finished the the arch tie-in. I thought it would be clear sailing after that. Wrong! The next row was the one that needed clamps for every brick. Really slowed things down. Patience is a virtue, right?

Mark

Comment

Mark - it's looking great!!! No droop, you just got by the abyss. Enjoy the holidaze, it's all down hill from there.

Les...

Comment

Thanks Les,
                      I'm hoping to get a bit done this week. Long way to go but it's pretty fun, watching it come to the middle. You have a great vacation also.

Mark

By the way......Thanks for the advice about the droop on the right side. I hadn't thought about the height, but I was able to get it back on track quickly.
                      Last edited by exceloven; 12-24-2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Now that's a pretty arch transition! Gorgeously executed. You'll be cooking in no time!
                        Nikki

Comment

Thanks Nikki, Good to here from you. Any new pix of yours?

Comment

I agree, that transition looks great! Keep up the good work.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

I was able to get two courses done today, but I ran out of bricks! AHHH! I think the place I got them will be closed tomorrow. I also crawled inside for the first time to touch up the grout. Tight fit. Do I want to have the insulation blanket on while I'm doing my curing fires? Just wondering if I need to get that ordered quickly?
                              Mark

Comment

Mark,

I don't think you need the blanket for the cure. You just need to drive the moister out. It may help in regard to retained heat, but at the end of the day, it's probably nil. The picture of you inside the oven freaks me out - that's exactly why I went the route I did - claustrophobia

Les...

Comment

Working...
                                X