Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark's WFO

Hi all,
    Had a little time after work the last couple days so I got the steel done and some of the forming. Might be able to pour this weekend if things work out.

Mark

Re: Mark's WFO

Hi Mark, looks great so far. Are you planning on pouring concrete right up to the top of the board, or will that be your insulation layer?

Looks like a very tidy job, looking forward to more photos
    Justin
    My 40" Oven progress http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...peii-5495.html

Comment

Thanks Justin, I have a plan for the pour but I am not sure it will work as it does in my mind. I want the regular concrete to be a monolithic 8" slab, so I am going to form up the area under the oven for the insulation portion. Then I wil pour the regular concrete first and after it sets fill in the area inside with the insulated concrete.
      I'm not sure if that makes any sense but I will post pix and it might be clearer.
      Mark

Comment

Wow, thats a thick slab! mine is about half of that. Now im wondering if mine is thick enough?
        Justin
        My 40" Oven progress http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...peii-5495.html

Comment

Now im wondering if mine is thick enough?
          A lot of support slabs are the thickness of a two-by-four, three and a half inches. With rebar reinforcement, that's plenty thick.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Most people pour a 4" slab top with a 4" insulation layer under the oven. I just wanted the rest of the counter to be closer to the height of the oven. It's basically 4 extra inches around the base of the oven. It will double as a bomb shelter.

Comment

You'll have the last thing in the neighborhood standing, just like the rest of us!

Comment

I finished forming the hearth top today and am shooting to pour it Saturday. Many things could get it the way but I'm going to try. You guys are right, it gets addicting once you start!

Mark

Comment

Looks cool! Do you worry about the center trying to float on the concrete when you pour it or do you have other means to control like weights or support? Not that I doubt your engineering!!! I've been playing with concrete a lot in the last year and I've been amazed at how much force it can exert in a form.

I like the Iron ring. Where'd ya get it? Or how'd ya form it?

Christo
                  Last edited by christo; 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM.
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

Christo,
                    Regarding the form, all week I have been trying to wet and bend plywood and failed miserably. Radius was too tight. Today I was at one of my jobs and there was a piece of vinyl covered bender board laying in the dirt. I asked someone and they said they were done with it and I could have it. It worked absolutely perfect. Problem solved.
                    As regards the center floating, I'm not too worried. I plan on pouring the area underneath first to 4" and then setting the form back in. I might put another 2x4 across the middle before I pour. I have been following all your work and it looks fantastic!

Mark

Comment

Mark, it totally is addicting! I haven't worked on mine since Sunday (and I hope to finish the actual building part this weekend) and I'm getting twitchy. If I were ever to experience drug withdrawl, I think it would be like this. Damn the time change and early sunsets!

Comment

Amber, I'm with you on the time change. I started at the worst possible time. If this were summer I would be out there right now working on it instead of talking about it on my laptop!
                        Mark

Comment

Bending wood well is *tough*. I helped my dad make a wire-strung harp once (his third harp, my first), and we did an acceptable but not a great job. The forms look fabulous! I can already tell that yours is going to be an exquisite build, if you're putting that much time and detail into the forms.
                          Nikki

Comment

I know just what you mean. While I wouldn't be working right now (it's 10pm) I would have done something today. Weekdays are officially out since the sun sets at 5pm. Oh yeah, and it's damn cold outside.

Comment

What is bender board? Sounds vaguely obscene...
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X