X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trockyh
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Love the lights and the wood grain looks awesome.
    Nice work as usual Dino.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

OK, I've finally sanded the underside of my eaves and put an oily sealer on it. It brought out the grain really nice. This early morning, I wired my low voltage lights and popped them in. I can't wait to see what it looks like tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Ian, it's nice to hear from you again!
    Eric, I still think I'll keep my day job but if after it's all done, if the counter will hold a glass of wine steady, I'll claim success.

Hey Dave: that's hysterical!! You know, anything posted on a thread of a "Master Builder" is true and accurate and must work . I'm secretly glad the weather is holding some of you guys up so I can catch up on you!

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Hey Dino,
    Looks Great! You have inspired us to do ours early. We used a homebrew of sorts. What do you think?
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• TheOldFox
    replied

Hi Dino,

Not having been around the forums much of late, i'm still inspired by your build and others of course. Its nice that you appear to be getting close to finishing your wfo off 100%.

Regards

Ian..

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Dino,
    Our yourself a glass of great wine- I am in awe of your cement finishing skills. You may have to come to SD when I do mine. I know what you mean, it is really hard to stop trying to get it a little bit better, then you dig the tool into the concrete and swear at yourself.
    Very nice job
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Bill and Chris. You guys are funnnny. I've cleaned the cement off the "vibrating tool" and put it back to use...on my back.

The counter does extend 2.5" out the sides and front. I figure the stone facade will be 2" +/- thick and I wanted the counter to cover or hang over a bit any facade stones mortar joints.

I 'parged' the small holes on the front and sides late yesterday and today it looks great. It's smooth (not nearly as smooth as the top of the counter, that's ok) and of one color/texture which I wasn't sure it would have.

Thanks, Dino

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

"Dino, bet use of non-standard tools yet! Well done. Counter will be great, if not completely relaxed..." As long as the counter didn't start smoking after finishing up..

The top looks great!! The pollishing tools will really bring it together..

:-)

Chris

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

Dino, bet use of non-standard tools yet! Well done. Counter will be great, if not completely relaxed...

Bill

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Dino, looks great! The bull nose turned out really nice. It looks like you extended it past the sides a couple inches. Is that the case or is it an allusion of the camera.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Good work Dino ...

You know that first pic of you would not be out of place on the front of WFO Calendar 2010 (like the fireman's calendar).

You may just be the poster guy for WFO people everywhere!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

My concrete COUNTER pour went well for a 1st timer. I was totally uncomfortable with the "screed once with back and forth" then "2 times with a magnesium float" then finish with a "steel finishing trowel". It's humanly impossible not keep $@#*ing with it though I really held back.

The curved edging tool did a great job but created a little ledge 1/2" below the form. So after 2 hours, we unscrewed the wood form front, carefully taped it diagonally to slide it off without pulling out concrete, then I smoothed the curved edge & with a trowel & smoothed out the holes and pits I had along the front face, bottom of the counter. We screwed the form back and left it overnight. I removed it this afternoon AND the short side forms had more little holes so I wet-parged it but don't know if it will have a different color or sheen than the counter top. Tomorrow, I'll remove the bottom form with all the ugly white silicon caulking I used (to only partial success at a curved, not sharp edges) and it will look much better.

Now that there is a counter there as opposed to the dirty lower base, exposed FB board, Durock and stuff, the grease that dripped onto my oven landing (from bacon wrapped scallops) looks sooo ugly , I've got do something about it. Still, it's big progress for us!

I'm grinning in the 1st pick 'cause I'm holding a back vibrator (NOT personal!) that did a great job at shaking out the air bubbles. Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Mike, Your counter is beautiful. It's one of the nicest I've seen. Can't wait to see it again in action when your snow melts .

BTW: I dreamed last night that Forno Bravo started charging and billing your credit card for using emoticons in your posts as a way to make money. I dreamed I had just made a bunch of posts and used (over used) emoticons all over the place and felt it was unfair I hadn't received notice from FB for the charge. It was one of those oddley "real" kinda dreams. I think I drank a bit too much last night to sooth my anxiety over the countertop pour. Either way, I'll be avoiding emoticons for while!

My concrete counter pour went well...I think. It was a bunch of ups and downs but mostly ups I think. I'll post pics tonight but I took the front form off and I have some small holes and voids to fill (parge) but I'm conflicted on sanding the counter. I've started another thread on my questions regarding parging and sanding here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post80013

thanks, Dino

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

For whatever it's worth, I also poured my counter away from the oven, then placed it. I was really not confident in how it would turn out, and didn't want to do anything that was not reversible.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Mike and Eric. I wish I would have "played" a bit with my hearth slab to gain some "finer" concrete experience but, I would have forgotten it by now anyway.

Tom: I'm going with the natural gray the countertop mix comes in. It also comes in "white" which tells me that is for adding color. I'm hoping it's a pleasing gray (not mortician gray) and if not, then I'll stain it. We may stain it in the end to pick up some color in the facia or the keystone.

Elizabeth: I didn't know you poured your shelf away from you oven then placed it. I may be doing that too with the eventual side-table I build.

Had to come to work this morning due to others illness. I still think I can get home at noon and do this before the next rains tomorrow night. Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X