• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trockyh
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

That is really nice looking stone Dino.
    Sooo....what are your ideas for the counter? It's been fun and informative reading your build, looking forward to the finish.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Welcome back Dino,
    I like the stone. Now that I've quit for the season, I'll enjoy following your progress.

Happy New Year,

dave

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

I've been taking a break for the holidays and only slowly deciding on what brick facade to use for the oven. The place I bought my firebrick from has a big selection and it took us weeks to decide what color or style. They let me bring home lots of samples and we found 2 we like and are going to mix both. In the pic below they are 1 ft square samples. I'll use mostly the top, lighter stone, and smaller percentage of the slightly darker stone below it.
    I should have it in a week so I guess I have to finally decide on a counter before I can apply it . Happy Holidays, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

You could use trim head screws which have a very small head and require a square bit. They sink in nice and a little wood filler would be easier than plugs. Oven looks incredible! Thanks for the great documentation.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks guys. I think I will look into plugs. If done well, I guess it can have a nice look to it. I kinda like your suggestion jamie of a contrasting darker plug. Hmmm...

Scott, I just checked out your finished oven pics again and realize YOUR eaves are the look I was going for! They look so good.

I'm going to run by the HD today and look at their dowel rods as papavino suggests. See if they match what I want. If not, I'll check out the Plug Cutters. I just googled them. Seen them all these years and I never new what they were ! Thanks again!, Dino

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Personally, I'd shy away from relying entirely on glue on something that spends its life outdoors, subject to moisture and temperature variations, and fighting against gravity. It would probably work, but if it were to fail, it would likely be at the most inopportune time possible... when the little bit of radiant heat from the front of the oven which collects under the eaves, softens the glue just enough, and causes it to fall on your head just as you're about to pull your masterpiece pizza out of the oven, for example.

You could deep-countersink your screws and use plugs to hide the screws. If you do that, you could either go for a matching wood and grain to hide the plugs from all but the closest inspection, or you could go for a contrasting plug to imitate that arts-and-crafts doweled look... something like a high contrast black walnut into maple or white oak, for example.

edit: it looks like I'm not the only one thinking plugs! I think you have your consensus answer, Dino
    Last edited by cynon767; 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• papavino
    replied

I was also thinking about counter-sinking the screws, then putting a plug on them. Would it be possible to just use a dowel rod and cut plugs off of that?

Leave a comment:

• smuth10
    replied

With you living in Cali that might work, but the weather here in Michigan would eventually cause the glue to fail. One other option is to buy a plug cutter, sink the screws down and plug the holes. Just chisel them off and sand down the rest. Pretty easy, you just need a couple of special bits.

Scott...

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

I'm kinda at a stand still but will probably make some progress this week. I want put 1x4, nice grained, finish wood under my eaves. My front gable is 12" deep so I want to have a decent grain wood to look at. HOWEVER, I don't want to see big screws holding it up.

I used steel studs so finish nails wont go thru and hold, only screws go thru the steel. My fascia board does not drop down enough to enable me to line it 1st with plywood, then use finish nails. Well, maybe if I used 3/8" plywood, but I'm not sure.

QUESTION: Could I use CONSTRUCTION CEMENT (Like "Liquid Nails-Construction" or other bond-all construction grade adhesives) and just "glue" my 3 strips of 1x4's to the 2x4 steel joists under each of the eaves?

The construction grade adhesives say they bond metal & wood and I thought I could support these for a few days to really adhere. Thx, Dino

Leave a comment:

• glindhout
    replied

Mike -- But hopefully we won't have a white Thanksgiving -- looks like snow showers on Friday in our area... great!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Well, at least you guys feel bad. At least we will have a white Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Bill, you are way to kind! Wait until I finish because I may ruin the whole look depending on what I do next .

Greg, I know what you mean. I'm really lovin' this warm weather and feeling as sad as possible for the ovens building now in the NW & NE while complaining my ice-tea cubes are melting too fast and the chardonnay is above cellar temp !

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

Dino, best roof yet!

Leave a comment:

• geisen
    replied

Dino,
    these guys are freezing ther arses off and we are wondering if we could by in shorts and flip flops until the sun takes the chill off.......life is good.
    Fellow Californian
    Greg

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Well Dave, I'm jealous of your dog. He's really cute in you web album. And what a great web-album! You've documented well and used great building practices that I hope others check out and follow.

Greg, I love your "pizza hut" not to mention your commitment to continuing in the cold weather. I now have no excuse this weekend to get out there in the freezing 55 deg morning temps to work on my wfo eaves.

Thanks for the kind words and support Joe and Ian. Cheers!, Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X