• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tony boca
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino,

Just saw your photos of Yosemite. They reminded me of our trip out west last summer(Yosemite, Sequoia, Deah Valley, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest). It's Beautiful Country out there. A must do trip in a life time.

Your dinner photos remind me of Italy... Good Food, Family, Friends and Wine. You seem to be blessed with all 4.

Your oven looks great and appears to be working perfectly by the looks of the delicious dinners.

Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• TheOldFox
    replied

Bill just took at look at your cooking pics.. man oh man i was drooling over your pics hmm nice looking food..

Mr Dino no thanks was needed for my compliments , praise was given out of my jealousy of your fine wfo... :P

regards..
    Ian..
    Last edited by TheOldFox; 09-30-2009, 02:32 AM. Reason: missed my regards..lol

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

Dino, had to check in and see how your build is coming along. Looks great and I applaud the slate roof.

Let me know how the lights work for you as that's the last piece I've gotten around to finishing.

Congrats on a fantastic build and thanks for sharing.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• mluttropp
    replied

Thanks for the mix design and the reasurance that it will work just fine. The cost of the Refmix was killing me.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Matt, sorry about my late replay: went to Tuolumne Meadows for a few days of camping in Yosemite so I just saw your post.

I used the recomended home brew mix of:

1 pt Portland Cement
    1 pt Lime
    1 pt fireclay
    3 pts Fine Sand usually called SILICA #90 (or was it 60?) at the brick-cement stores. I would stay away from Home Depot Play Sand, it looks nothing like the silica sand I bought at the brick yard and I'm really happy with how the mix worked out for me.

Bandrasco, thanks! I was able to hit the roof again yesterday. It's really slow work. I can spend 1/2 hour just picking the right slate that lays the best for that area I'm working on. I kinda don't want to post any pics until I finish and have a chance to rinse all the dust off the roof. I think the final look will be worth the work.

TheOldFox: thanks so much for the compliment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my build. It is fun to see the men and women with their 1st posts on this site saying "I've never done anything like this before..." and a year later, we can all agree they've become master builders.

Thanks, Dino
    Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM. Reason: silica or sand said #90, very fine

Leave a comment:

• TheOldFox
    replied

What a marvellous and detailed thread this is/has been i do hope Mr Dino and partner have lots of fine meals from the oven over the coming years..

I'm sure i'll be back to re-read some of the points along the way again like some of the other Great and i truly mean Great master builders some have become through their oven building journeys..

Leave a comment:

• mluttropp
    replied

Dino, I am sure you have answered this before but I coul not find it. What mix did you use for your home brew mortar?

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Nice work Dino; I really like the slate roof tiles. I saw an episode of Rock Solid on DIY that used slate tiles on the roof of their WFO.

Enjoyed your build.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Nitro69, it's been fun and a little difficult. I couldn't get the top (last 2) slate rows (since they are not full 16" slates, but a 10" slate and then an 8" slate) to meet to a nice point at the ridge. I have to line up new nail holes that I drill in them and then they don't make a great peak at the tip. So I went to a local metal shop, had an 8' long by 6" piece of copper cut and bent (just 30 bucks!) to the ridge angle and glued that on top THEN I put my 1st ridge pieces on THAT. Aint no rain going seep into my sloppy peak work. I'm happy with how it come out so far. Hopefully I'll post more pics soon, though I've updated my web album with a new slate roof folder with the progress.
    Thanks, Dino

Leave a comment:

• nitro69
    replied

Looks good Dino. Love slate roofs.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

I had a local roofing company order (actually have make) 10' pieces for me. It was really reasonable. I had to cut 16" off them.

If I could only get 8' pieces and it was a good price, I don't think I'd mind having an overlapping seam in front. It's not ideal but the copper is thin should fit good if you nail it properly on top.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

How long were the drip edges? I can find 8 feet, but that's not quite long enough to run up one side and down the other. Do you have any copper joints, or were you able to get long enough pieces to run one continuous length?

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Mike,
    I don't know what those 2 vertical lines are in my pic. But no, there are no slate hangers. I just used the copper nails.

The copper trim at the peak, is a single piece; I held it against the left side gable while pencil marking a straight line (going up and down) and that became my 1st tin-snip cut. Then I put it back against the peak and gently bend it (let it fall really) and it creases perfectly. Then I re-mark a vertical line, take the trim back down, gently "open" it back up enough to tin-snip that right side and both ends meet perfectly when I put back up.

I also put a dab of silicone over each nail head and most times a dollop under a slate to keep the "play" away. I know its heretical and was a pain when I had to remove 2 tiles but it works.

I'm working on ridge for the short piece in front of my vent so I'll post pics soon assuming it looks good enough to post

Thanks and good luck, Dino
    Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM. Reason: Spuling airers. Me speak pretty one day.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Dino, I just reviewed your photos again. I still love the slate.

On the last photo (post #336), are some of your slates hung with slate hangers, or is that something else I see?

How do you approach the copper trim as it navigates the peak (in front)? Are there two pieces that meet there, or do you bend one around the corner? Can you shoot a photo of that area for me?

Thanks again. Keep up the great work.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks for the compliments Mark, Bob and John.
    I'm really surprised that each piece of slate that goes on is as exciting as the the 1st few dome rings where to build. I've got the day off tomorrow so I'm hoping to get a lot done but it's suppose to be 99 deg here. I can't imagine having to do a whole house in slate!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X