Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy perlite?

Greetings!

I am getting ready to start building... I've stopped by Lowe's and Home Depot asking about perlite and they don't sell it in the bulk I need. Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Where to buy perlite?

Hi Joe,

I found mine at a local nursery in 3.5 cu ft bags at around $23 per bag. I found same size bag at building supply for $9 per bag but it was like a powder instead of like pellets. i used the combo in my mix.

Comment

Swimming pool suppliers have it too.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you are looking for loose fill, I bought Harborlite Perlite in 4 cu/ft bags for $10 in south Austin, but it is very fine.

If you are wanting for Perlcrete mix, then I bought 4 cu/ft bags of vermiculite at a nursery on Thousand Oaks in N. San Antonio.

Every pool supply store I went to just gave me blank empty stares.

PS: If you go the HeatStop route there is a very cheap supplier just south of San Antonio.
        Last edited by wlively; 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM.
        Wade Lively

Comment

I bought my perlite from a masonry supply business where it is commonly used to insulate fireplaces and such.

JED

Comment

Masonry supply or horticulture supply.
            "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Thanks to all for your help and recommendations!

Joe

Comment

I got mine from the local masonry supply company (michigan)
                sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I bought some from Hometown perlite (website of the same name)....Though I am not sure I got the right stuff.. It was the the fine "industrial" grade, for concrete mixes, and not the loose fill...will that work to mix with refractory cement?

Louis

Comment

If I want to use vermiculite as an insulating concrete on top of my FB insulation, which type should I get? Can you tell me the name of the nursery near Thousand Oaks in SA, TX if they have the right product or where else in SA I might be able to find it? Thanks!

Comment

Home Depot is where I got it.
                      Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Masonry supply houses, wholesale gardening houses, or pool supply companies are your best bet. The box stores or retail garden centers may have it, but they will charge 5-10 times the price it is worth.

Comment

Like Tscar says, just go to a masonry or block supplier, perlite is used to fill cores of CMUs.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by wlively View Post

If you are looking for loose fill, I bought Harborlite Perlite in 4 cu/ft bags for $10 in south Austin, but it is very fine.

If you are wanting for Perlcrete mix, then I bought 4 cu/ft bags of vermiculite at a nursery on Thousand Oaks in N. San Antonio.

Every pool supply store I went to just gave me blank empty stares.

PS: If you go the HeatStop route there is a very cheap supplier just south of San Antonio.
                            Hi, I live in San Antonio and would like to know supplier. Please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X