Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally started my pizza oven!

Joe,
    You are really making good progress, and even better, your work is very clean. You obviously know what your doing. Keep it up and keep the pic's coming as you progress.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark

I've tried to keep it as clean as I can but the water and the green scrub pad isn't cutting it. I know the pictures don't show it, but it's not as clean as I'd like it to be. Those green scrub pads don't last long either. Is thier any other way or technique?

JOE

Comment

I'm 6'2" and my hearth is sitting at about 48". I went a little higher than most to keep from having to bend over all the time. I think 50" will work out great. By the way, awesome taper job on the bricks.I can see we have another perfectionist like Dino in our midst.
        Greg
        Greg Geisen
        Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

This is great, I really like the way you have compensated for the angled opening of the vent-arch walls allowing for the front and back of the arch to remain parallel (at least I 'think' that's what you're doing) I couldn't figure out how that could be done, obviously some complicated cuts, but makes the rest of the job a bit easier.

great photos

Doug

Comment

Thanks Greg, dropping the slab 3" and using 1" insulation board as opposed to 2" board helped. I don't know what I was thinking when I put up 5 coarses of 8" block for the shed. Maybe it was the thought of me crawling in there and hitting my head!,
            On another note Chula Vista sounds like a wonderful place to live. We have friends in Fullerton which we try to visit every couple of years. California is one of our favorite places to vacation.

Doug, thats exactly what I'm trying to do, but its not that complicated, my inner and outer openings have a difference of 3 1/2" divide by 2 and taper that from front to back on your walls (1/8 to 1" 7/8 ) I would not start at O at the front. Then compound that by the same angle you used to start your entry arch. Its easy when you have a 10" sliding compound mitre
            saw. the saddle cut you can do with a grinder, just make sure your at 90 degrees.

Joe
            Mississauga, Ont

Comment

Hi Joe, the dome rings and arch walls look great. I see you've interlocked the 4 rows of bricks on the walls and you've got a nice reveal. Very nice.

You know, I did not have very good luck with the yellow sponge and green pad to keep my dome clean. I bought the fairly cheep, large "cement contractors" goldish-yellow sponge you see at all the brick yards. It's softer and I believe gets in the rough brick better to clean it. And Elizibeth (I think) recommended having a dry cloth to wipe up immediately after sponging that takes off the haze the sponge keeps leaving.

I'm enjoying your pics, keep up the fine work, Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino,
                I did buy one of those sponges and a soft brush, and it seems to be cleaning and looking a little better. I think I need to spend a couple of hours and really clean it properly, I'm going to wait a couple of days to let it set so I can apply a bit more pressure on the bricks. I did get a chance to work on the oven this week-end and get over the arch and, I think support the dome at the same time.

Here are some more pics.

Thanks Joe
                Mississauga Canada

Comment

The dome looks good Joe. Nice work and the ring blocks across you arch. The pictures you've got posted will certainly help others see how to do it. You're really movin' along. Keep up the good work.
                  Dino
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

very very nice work and fast , good cuts awesome. don't forget insulation very important do it once do it right , are you planning enclosure or igloo?

Comment

Mavano, I have purchased the insulation about a week ago. I decided to go with the 1" tripled up on the advice of the supplier, I also bought the chimmney, 10" A vent , it may be overkill but I'm going though a roof so I'd rather be safe than sorry. My plan on the finish is to go granite, the angle iron sticking out of hearth is to support a granite counter and wall above it unfortunatly I'll only see the inside of the entry and dome.

I've done alot since I posted last so you'll see multable post because of the five picture max.

Joe
                      Mississauga, Canada

Comment

I finally completed the dome and started and finished the outer arch.

Joe

Comment

My oven will be an addition to an outdoor kitchen I built about 10 years ago. I don't think I'll be using the gas BBQ as much the way Les is talking about those steaks he's cooking in his oven.

Joe
                          Mississauga Canada

Comment

hello Joe , good fast work man I'm amazed how fast you build, you make the Calabresi proud, is that your final arch? you might want to brace the final arch walls from the flanks there is a lot of pressure pushing from the weight of the chimney on the arch to the walls when you fire it up it could separate the joints on the arch from the heat mine did but I have a more pronounced arch and the pressure was not so great but still had heat expansion cracks on the joints, then again I could be wrong,better safe than sorry, I built my oven not knowing about this forum made lots of mistakes , there are a good bunch of builders on here for advice during a build , looking forward for your fire up its looking really good , Ciao

Comment

Slow down Joe...your going to cause a tear in the space-time warp continuum. But at least you'll have excellent pizza soon. Nice work.

I love your keystone and the last row holding it. Looks really tight. It's great to be able to cut them all like you did before you install them. Mine is not a perfect circle so it's taking more fussy cuts, but I can really appreciate the craftsmanship you show. I bet your happy your're done with those bricks. Very nice outdoor kitchen too. Ya, steaks in the oven...
                              Take care, Dino

My Oven Thread

Comment

Thanks Mavano, I am going to brace the outer arch, it makes sense to add a little re-enforcement to those walls. I really hope I don't have any movement in those bricks. I tried to support the inner arch walls with the dome walls pushing against them. Here is a picture of what I mean.

Dino, you make me laugh " space time warp continuum " It's true it's going quickly, but I did spent quite a bit of time pre-cutting my bricks in February. And my dome is far from perfect, I tried not to line up any joints but I failed miserably. Cutting those compound mitres I found that when I set them in place I was ok on the outside of the dome but in the inside of the dome, because the bricks were so tapered, I'd hit a joint and by the time I caught on, it was too late.
                                I also wish I was a lot cleaner. The mortar I was using was fantastic, it went on like Nutella and stuck like crazy glue I did not use anything to support any of the dome bricks, but it was hell to clean. I?m going to give the oven a couple of weeks to cure, that will give me some time to clean it and think about how I want to finish the front.

Thanks for your kind words

Joe
                                Mississauga Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X