Finally started my pizza oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally started my pizza oven!

Very nice looking oven. There is something very Roman about tile and trim pieces that's very nice (hope I'm not insulting any Sicilian in your family).
    Lot's of Romex wiring in there too. Are you the electrician as well? And what about that rectangular space above the oven opening. That is interesting. Whatever your plans, it's great looking. This is going to be good. Can' wait to see it all done. Thanks, Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Great work. Love the look and feel.
      Greg Geisen
      Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

very nice almost there, remember the due date for the party!! I think it will be finished you work fast I'am amazed of your progress good job, and ahhh nice porchetta

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.
          I've made a template of the insulated door and started to fabricate, it's a little bit big and I'll have to make adjustments. The cavity is for the 2" insulation that I'll install before sealing it. Here are some pics of the progress.

I'm wondering if anyone on the Forno Bravo forum knows of a chemical process or proceedure to make metal change colour. I don't know what the process is called or if the discolouration only applies to certain metals but I do like the funky design and would like to investigate it further depending on how complex it would be to do.

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone on the Forno Bravo forum knows of a chemical process or proceedure to make metal change colour
            Is it aluminum? It could be anodized. This is a two step procedure, and needs to be done by a professional plater: It's a two step process:
            Google
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Calabrese View Post

I'm wondering if anyone on the Forno Bravo forum knows of a chemical process or proceedure to make metal change colour. .
              If it is steel, a rust color is a slam dunk. Seriously, steel can be colored - gun stock blue comes to mind. If it is made from aluminum - you are in luck. Like David mentioned, anodizing aluminum is an easy option. You will be able to do any color you choose. By the looks of the welds, I'm thinking it's steel. If the door is very well insulated -you can get by with a powder coating. Great stuff and the rainbow to choose from.

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response boys.
                Ya made of steel, but powder coating, I never thought of that, thanks Les You could probably do some freaky stuff with powder coating.

Comment

I know this is not the proper thead to be posting this on but I forgot to add it to my last post and I really wanted to share this with you all. We had some friends over last night and were gathered around the pizza oven cooking pizza, and I was telling my guest I would of liked to put a famous saying or quote some where on or near the oven. No one came up with any great ideas but one of the quotes were " pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good."
                  Now thats funny! But so true.

Comment

I just about finished my door. Here are some Pics. I still have to fill it with insulation and install the heat rope. Cooking in the oven has been great, but I've been burning a ton of wood, I am hoping this will retain the heat longer then the temporary door I made.

Comment

Great looking door. Similar to what I have designed. I like your idea of closing the bottom with screws and eliminating a weld with insulation installed. What gauge material is your sheet metal? I ordered some door panels in 14 gauge SS but they showed up Monday 3/16" material. Correct ones are being re-cut.
                      Cheers,

Comment

Very nice door. I'm sure it will old the heat for days. Enjoy your second day cooking!

Mark

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I'm not sure what gauge it is but I just measured it and it looks to be 3/32",
                          that might be close to 14 gauge.

Comment

Calabrese,

Very nice build, looks great. I am in the process of building my oven. Just poured the cement cap on the walls for the oven. I have a question and I hope you can help. Your pic on 04/13/09 when you poured the vermiculite on the floor, you were talking about using also insulation board. Did you use 1" or 2" insulation board the pour 2" or 3" of vermiculite mixture over that ? I am currently at that point in my build.

Any help I thank You

Comment

I actually used a 5 to 1 vermiculite to portland mix and a 1" insulation board. Congratulation on your build, your going to have a great time.

Cheers Joe

Comment

Hi guys

I havn't posted anything for a while because of other projects around the house (trying to get caught-up) and cooking up a storm. I'm really getting to know my oven. Having a great time. Door works great and the insulation above and below the dome are working beyond my expectations. I'm holding temperatures the 2nd day between 475 to 500 degrees. I don't know if thats good or average but I'm amazed by it. Here are some pics of the door and some bread we baked on the third day after firing.

Cheers Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X