Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

I think I have pretty much read every post on this site and would like to start by thanking James and everyone in charge for keeping this site up and running. It is an invaluable resource for people like me trying to building an oven. Without everyone on this forum I would be completely lost as I have no mason\brick experience what-so-ever. So, on to the build...

I started this late last fall and thought I would post my progress. I have the pad and stand in, and I poured the bottom part of the hearth last night. I have a question I was hoping someone could answer.

I am only going to pour the 5:1 perlite\portland mixture in the area just under the oven\entry. I would like the surrounding edges and front to be solid concrete as I will be screwing metal studs to the hearth and want a solid foundation to screw into. Do you think it would be OK to cover the insulated portion of the hearth with a thin layer of regular concrete to keep everything perfectly smooth for the firebrick? I was thinking like 1\4-1\2".

Thanks, Scott...
    Last edited by smuth10; 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM.
    Scott...
    Smuth's Build
    www.openhearthovenworks.com

Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Scott - why not just screed it even with fireclay as recommended? Seems like a faster and easier approach.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I am going to use the fire clay, but I was just trying to save myself from having to rip down 2x6 to 4" for the inside frame. If I only used a 2x4 I would only have 3 1\2" of insulation, so I think you are right, I am just going to go with 4" of insulation and use the fire clay to make it all level.

Les, I love your oven BTW. It looks great. I may have missed it, but do you have experience as a mason or with tile?
      Last edited by smuth10; 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM.
      Scott...
      Smuth's Build

Comment

Yes, the fireclay/sand method has the advantage that your dry powder can be tamped down (or excavated) to get your firebricks just the way you want them.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I would also be concerned that a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of concrete on top of the insulation would crack with the heat and end up making your floor uneven...

Good luck!
          Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

That was my main concern. I was thinking of adding some hydrated lyme, but I think just using the fire clay would be best. Thanks for all of the input.

dmun, did you not add water to your fire clay mixture? is there an advantage to leaving the water out?
            Scott...
            Smuth's Build

Comment

Originally posted by smuth10 View Post
              Les, I love your oven BTW. It looks great. I may have missed it, but do you have experience as a mason or with tile?
              No ? just kind of picked it up by necessity. I sit in an office designing slot machines for my day job.

Les...

Comment

Being that I am the new guy, I of course have an endless amount of questions.

I am pretty antsy to get going on this now that the weather is getting nice here in Michigan. How long did everyone wait for the bottom part of the hearth to dry before you poured the insulating layer on top? How long does that layer need to dry before you start laying brick?

Also, I am going to pickup the Heat Stop II I need. How many bags do you think I will need for the 36" oven? I was hoping to get away with 2. Especially at $65 a bag.

Signed, The new guy
                Scott...
                Smuth's Build

Comment

Les, any inside info on those slot machines???
                  Scott...
                  Smuth's Build

Comment

Originally posted by smuth10 View Post
                    Les, any inside info on those slot machines???
                    If I knew, my feet would be sticking out of the desert somewhere We have a pretty good random number generator. From there it depends where you play. I think Nevada has to pay back 83 or 87 percent (not sure). If you are on a cruise ship - no rules that I am aware of -they may be able to take 100%. In regard to your oven question - you can pour the insulating layer right after the slab. There was a time when that was recommended. Then I would play the waiting game for at least a week before I started stacking brick. Others that have gone that route may have better input.

Les...

Comment

The insulating concrete layer is good for compression. I bolted metal studs down flat to attach the wall frames to. Just need longer red head bolts so you are securing to the structural layer. Works fine.
                      Wade Lively

Comment

I built a 36 inch and used 3 bags of heatstop. I also had to use some home brew, but by the time I got to that part I had already made enough fireclay cutting bricks to do the job no problem. I don't think you can do it with two bags unless you do a whole lot of cutting. I didn't do a lot of cutting on mine- I didn't have the neato HF saw, so my bricks are just cut in half or in thirds, with an occasional shaped cut around the archway. Those were achieved with great cursing and irritation and my little wet saw.
                        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. Looks like I will be buying 3 bags of the HS rather than having to make two trips. I keep forgetting about all of the fire clay I will have left over after cutting all of those bricks.

I already have the wood frame built so I think I should have time tonight to pour the insulating part of the hearth. I will post some pics when I am done. Now I just need to buy the HeatStop, fire clay, and order a wet saw. I think I will take everyone's advice and get the HS saw, but unfortunately it is not on sale right now.

Thanks again for everyone's input. This group is great!
                          Last edited by smuth10; 05-07-2009, 07:55 AM.
                          Scott...
                          Smuth's Build

Comment

I did a little bit of research and found a printable 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight. You have to use it in the store, but I am lucky enough to have a couple near me. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://tinyurl.com/c8s2dt
                            Last edited by smuth10; 05-07-2009, 08:05 AM.
                            Scott...
                            Smuth's Build

Comment

Yup, you have to be really lucky to get the coupon AND have the HF saw on sale at the same time. And for a guy with "no experience what-so-ever" your foundation, stand and steel work is top notch in my book. Your pics show nice workmanship and will be an encouragement for others to do it too. Don't hesitate to ask about anything. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your build. - Dino
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                              X