This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB Pompeii Oven Kit

NOTE: Any pricing or bill of goods referenced in this post is not considered binding or maintained. For current pricing or Bill of Goods, please refer to two links below for the on line store or contact a sales representative.

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Pompeii90-Oven-Kit.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Pomp...-Oven-Kit.html

We have been working with a large refractory manufacturer to put together a cost-effective Pompeii Oven “kit” for U.S. builders, and I think we have come up with a very good solution. The Forno Bravo Pompeii110 kit includes everything you need to build a 43.3” (110cm) oven, including the floor, dome, vent and insulation. It includes:

140 9”x4.5”x2.5” medium duty firebricks (38% alumina, 134 lb density)
    20 12”x12”x2.5” floor tiles (38% alumina, 134 lb density)
    165 lbs high temp, waterproof mortar (the new FB Mortar)
    50 sq ft. 1” insulating blanket (FB Blanket)
    3 24”x36”x2” insulating board (FB Board)

The target price is $800. Our product strategy was to meet or beat the best price you can find locally for every item in the kit, including $1.20 per firebrick, $50 for a 55lb bag of mortar, etc., so that the overall of cost of the kit is the lowest you can find.

The kit weighs roughly 2,000 lbs, and it fits on a single pallet. A liftgate delivery truck will set it on your driveway. We have done everything possible to keep shipping costs low, and we have come up with the following rates. I think the cost of the kit is competitive, even with shipping cost.

NorCal $100
    SoCal $150
    Northwest $250
    Mountain States $300
    Texas $350
    Midwest $400
    East coast $500

There are a number of advantages of going with a kit. You don’t have to do a lot of shopping looking for individual items, and you don’t have to worry about getting the wrong stuff. The 12”x12” floor tiles reduce the number of seams, are made from the same material and process as the dome firebricks, and they don’t increase the oven cost. And the high tech insulators work very well.

I am very interested in hearing what everybody thinks. My hope is that the kit will make it easier to build a Pompeii Oven, without taking away any of the fun.

James
    Last edited by moderator; 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM. Reason: Customer referenced this as a binding quote in 2014
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: FB Pompeii Oven Kit

It sounds like a great idea James. The price does sound good - I paid more than 1/2 of that for the brick alone. Now, if you can line up someone with a water jet cutter to do the wedge and taper (as an option) - you would be golden!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Great idea! I would have loved an option like that, and think it's a brilliant addition to your lineup.
      Nikki

Comment

Love it!

Can't wait for my tax refund . . .

Comment

James,
          Like a number of neophytes to to this board, I have been mulling over my options. Prefab or modular options tend to be expensive, but easy to buy. Casting my own (leaning toward a geodesic-type design) would help the cost, but requires a lot of forethought and design. The Pompeii oven is cost-effective, but requires a lot of work, both to acquire all of the materials (and all of the "right" material), and to build it (the "fun" part, as you implied above). Relieving the buyer of the administrative part of the project (acquisition), to let them "just do it" is a great idea. And with a price point below $1K for all of the materials I can't run down to Lowe's or Home Depot to get makes it very attractive. So, when will it be available?
          Ed

Comment

This is a great idea, and one i advocated years ago. You should ship a container load of the pallets to the UK and Australia too: Their silly refractory material prices should more than compensate for the additional shipping costs.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

We have ordered all the materials, and they should be in our warehouse (California) in roughly 3 weeks. After that, they will always be in stock ready to ship.

And speaking of warehouses, we have taken on more space in our current business park. Those Modena ovens are big! :-)

Enjoy your Friday everyone.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, how about a link to this kit on the web site, I cannot find it
                Travis
                ~Travis

Comment

We haven't formally introduced it! It's sort an insider thing for the forum. Next week, when we have solid arrival dates for all the materials, we will make a real introduction, spec sheets, etc., and we will add it to the FB Store and FB.com.

But the specs earlier in the thread are the real deal. If you are interested, send us an email at info at fornobravo dot com, and can we answer any other questions and add you to our list.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Your price looks really good, even with shipping. Being assured of getting the correct products to do the job is wonderful. No more hunting all over town, talking to brickyard secretaries that don't have a clue. Great idea!
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

James are these precut bricks and floor tiles? My local prick for those bricks are also $1.20 but if they are precut, or trapezoid cut, that would be a real advantage and a nice kit.

Comment

James,
                        I think the kit is a great idea but, I'm not sure about the value in material cost as compared to my local prices. My local cost for the Bricks is also $1.20 and $80 for 80lb heat stop. The cost of the kit shipping would kill it for me in South Florida.
                        What would really get mt attention though would be if the BRICKs we PRECUT, especially trapezoid cuts for a nice tight fit. Then I think you'd have me even with the shipping cost.

Comment

Heck yeah!

Comment

Thanks guys,

Of course a kit with perfectly cut trapezoids would cost about $10,000. :-) $9,200 in labor and diamond blades! LOL.

To update everyone on the status, all the pieces for the Pompeii Kit will be arriving in 3-4 weeks and we have put together a list of people who are holding the first units.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with us by email if you are interested, and I will keep everyone up to date on the delivery status. Everything is looking good.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

I didn't realize the cost on your end and I appreaciate your response and what you are doing for those with interest. I am still gathering information before my build.

Comment

Working...
                              X