geodesic dome enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: geodesic dome enclosure

Doug, I think I would fold about 3/4" of metal inward around the perimeter of each hexagon and pentagon, clip with vise grips or pop rivet the entire dome together and then solder away. When it's finished set it upside down and partially fill with water. Touch it up a bit, clean and install. When you're soldering, you don't really have to lock the seams. Don't spare the solder.
    Moisture issues and ventilation are not well understood by architects and builders or even the trades in general. It's something I've consulted on many times at the point where lawyers were involved. Remediation was expensive. Codes are so tight now that buildings under construction have been condemned, demolished and re-built because of black mold and moisture issues.
    I've included a sketch from the late 1800's

Mark

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the photos and drawings.

Mark, regarding moisture and ventilation, I just came across the thread where you guys were discussing foil over or under the insulation and such...so I guess the jury is still out on that one. I'm trying to be kind of realistic and maybe simple minded on this topic. I feel like some way or another moisture is going to get in, so better to give it a way to get out too. So I'm going to shoot for the most weather tight lid I can get and find a way to ventilate it too.

Thanks again,

Doug

Comment

Doug, I agree that ventilating the outside enclosure is the most cost effective and easiest. I think this is where the gabled house has an advantage over the igloo in that the vermiculite is exposed to some airflow. As you read the foil thread this is old ground. I'm doing the stainless vapor barrier as I have the materials free and I live in a very humid climate.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X