No announcement yet.

Drake's 38" Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. Thanks for that. I like the lines -- both vertical and horizontal. It has a nice movement to it, so it doesn't appear too big, static or monolithic. The internal frame and modern chimney are completely hidden behind stone.

What is the slope of the main enclosure?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james
      What is the slope of the main enclosure?
      James
      The roof slope? Flat as can be...I put a rubber pond liner under the roofing material just to be sure it was watertight...

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Re: Drake's 38" Oven

Hi All,

I can finally say that I have actually FINISHED MY OVEN! I put the last pieces of trim on the front and mortared them in this weekend. All done! Only cooking and fun from here! I am never going to move.

Drake
        My Oven Thread:

Comment

You did a great job, looks very nice.
          Wade Lively

Comment

Congrats!!!!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Wonderful job, makes me want to start over with a clean, classic design such as yours.

Comment

Beautiful Drew,
                My memory is that you had the landing, the arch and the top cornice all cast locally. They came out great.

Can you shed more light on how you did that, roughly how much it cost, what type of craftsman did the work? I think other builders might follow your lead on that.

Wait a minute. I thought there was a rule that you can never actually "finish" an oven...

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Agreed. An oven is never really finished. Mine is three years old (plus construction months), and it's nowhere near finished. Having said that, Drew, you did a very fine job, and it does look finished to me. No doubt, it cooks as good as it looks. Suggest a magnum of champagne is in order.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Congratulations on an outstanding and beautiful job!
                    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

• Re: Drake's 38" Oven

Sweeet!

Comment

Thanks All, I could not have done it without this forum (in fact I was ready to build a barrel oven and I am quite sure I made the right choice by choosing the Pompeii instead!)

James, I ordered the cast concrete pieces from an architectural catalog.
                        Architectural Accents - Fireplace mantels, fireplace surrounds, columns, medallions, crown molding
                        Here is a link to their PDF catalog
                        This is a local distributor, I am sure most of you could find some sort of local guy. I found him through a friend who is a home builder.

The stone came in many colors and finishes, I was very happy with the product. I used it for trim around the edge of the middle of the whole enclosure, the arch, a decorative piece near the chimney and for the landing (the landing was a 3 piece fireplace hearth combined with a piece of trim underneath). I sealed the arch with stone sealant, so let's hope it does not blacken.

Jim, Magnum of Champagne sounds like a good idea. Magnums always remind me of the Count from The Sun Also Rises. Don't have the exact quote, but he brings in Champagne and comments that he prefers to drink Magnums, but they don't get cold fast enough. That is a problem I want to have.

Drew
                        Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM.
                        My Oven Thread:

Comment

Also I meant to mention that mose of the cast concrete pieces in the catalogs I looked at are VERY large. After all, they are meant to decorate a house, not a pizza oven. I found it helpful to draw the profile of the pieces to actual size. At first I was planning to order a 6 Inch wide arch piece. The one I ended up with is only 3 inches wide...The 6 inch would have been out of proportion with the rest of the oven (I think...)

Drew
                          My Oven Thread:

Comment

Beautiful! You have to be one proud papa.

Comment

Drake,

That looks great. I thought the oven looked finished when I saw it in person a few weeks ago! That looks so good.

Congrats!

Ryan

Comment

A few more pictures with the Bacchus mask that I got in Italy (In Manarolo in the Cinque Terra). Bacchus montiors my pizza parties and ensures that everyone drinks enough wine!

Drake
                                My Oven Thread:

Comment

Working...
                                X