SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

re: cleaning,, I would imagine most of the cleaning chemicals would burn off, I wouldnt do it either, did you ever look at a can of easy off oven cleaner, the suff is nasty, I dont use that in my home anymore either,, One of the beauties of the WFO is that it is truly self cleaning

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Last night I got to wondering if a light coat of vegetable oil on the open face would just burn off but would allow an easier cleanup of the mortar. I know that water based wax resist is used in ceramics and of course it just burns off in firing.

Chris

Comment

I don't think you could keep your resist in place, where it would prevent mortar adhesion where you wanted it.

You could dip your visible face in sealing wax... boy what a curing fire that would be!
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Oh boy, that fire is a hell vision.. So much for keeping the fire low for curing..

Some things are better kept simple..

C

Comment

use some blue tape on the face of the bricks.....

Comment

Update Oct, 17th.

Last week I got the chimney approach and bricks that collar down to the 8" SS mount plate. This morning I got the plate mounted and the approach smothed out with mortar. It's going to be a hot weekend, so I have a wet towel over the top of the mount plate and mortar. Yesterday I had a bit of time so I drove by the insulation company that carries rock wool batting and picked up two bundles of 8# 1.5 inch thick 2 foot by 4 foot bats, $71.. I have 3 large bags of vermiculite in the garage so I'll cover the bats with loose vermiculite.

More photos to come, as soon as my camera gets home from being loaned out.

Chris

Comment

I continue to be amazed by the precision ovens built with the indispensable tool. It makes mine look like it was built by an amateur.

Joe
                Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Thanks Joe!

It's the chef that makes the meal and as far as I can tell Hendo's I.T. makes the job of putting domes together easier but does not necessarily make for a better oven. There are so many variables.. Anyway, I?m sure you?re not ready to tear yours down to build it back, even with all I?ve done I can see things that I would and might change.

I've sure enjoyed the build process and can't wait till the final curing fire the finished enclosure and the years of meals to come.

I was just browsing the HF web site looking for a propane burner and Infrared thermometer. I?m thinking I can start the warm up about mid week and include some cooking while I?m at it. What can I do at 300 degrees F. Pork shoulder, Braised something?

Oh the joy of anticipation!!

Chris

Comment

You're really coming along Chris. Who'd a thought it would 95 deg in mid October in SoCal? Looking forward to your vent installation pics!
                    Cheers, Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino, you're right, here we are in mid October and it's hot again.
                      Thank goodness it isn't hot like it was 2 weeks ago. and Joe wait a minute we are amateurs..

Chris
                      Last edited by SCChris; 10-18-2009, 09:52 AM. Reason: Name correction

Comment

Ok!
                        I borrowed my wife's P&S to click a couple of status pictures.

Since it's been about 4 hours since I put the mortar down I can see the inside of the entry, where I'm trying to smooth out the smoke path, has some good sized cracks. Since the mortar only directs the smoke, I'll mix a small batch of patch tomorrow. The mortaring of the mounting bracket may or may not work as hoped, and plan "B" is to build this up with vermicrete when I get a structure in place and can mount the flue pipe.

Chris

Comment

While I have the camera. Here are a few establishing shots of the project area. Last year I tore the old wood deck off of the back of the house, rotten to the core.. Since the deck was off it was the right time to call Mike to re-grade the area and get the drainage right. In went the concrete patio and the replacement wood deck, then came the WFO. No the wine barrels are not full nor did we empty them... Damn shame!

Chris

Comment

Chris, that's a great back yard. You will really enjoy the oven.

Joe
                            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Im with jm, Thats a great back yard,, nice job... enjoy and good luck

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark and Joe..

The patio / backyard is, has been, a work in progress, I guess they all are. I'm really feeling the pressure to get the WFO enclosed, the wall up to the left of the WFO and clean up the water collection with a bit more concrete. El Nino is coming and it could be a wet winter.

Chris
                                Last edited by SCChris; 10-18-2009, 11:58 AM. Reason: adding pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X