Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

This project will consist of a 36" Pompeii Wood Fire Oven, a Rumford Fireplace, a built in Grill and some other misc kitchen stuff... at least that's the current plan.

To start with I created a kitchen layout with 2 counter spaces surrounding a fireplace and with the oven on the end of a counter. For the foundation I dug 5' deep post holes, 1 per counter and fireplace and 4 for the oven. I was originally going to do a total of 10 holes but I'm dealing with both brown and gray clay which took everything out of me just doing the 7 and when I got done with those I decided it looked good enough.. time will tell.

I then made my forms out of 2x6's, sunk my tubes and poured 2.5 tons of pea gravel in. If I were to do this again I would have gotten a couple large tubes and 7 slightly smaller tubes, they come that way at most box stores. I would have then cut the large ones up into 1' sections and put those in the ground to hold the gravel back. Then I could have waited to sink the smaller tubes until the day I poured. Instead I only sunk my forms a foot into the ground but soon realized I might not be able to get them all the way in if I didn't do it before I started putting rebar in so I did. These then got wet from a high water table and ended up mostly trashed. Lesson learned.
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

I went a little crazy with the rebar but I wanted to make sure everything was solid so I started with doing what the pompeii instructions say and then I added more bent rebar where the post holes are. I did 2 pieces of rebar for most of the holes. I also used plastic and mesh but I ran out of mesh at the end and said screw it and didn't put it in all. The only part that doesn't have it is the end of the counter on the left which is no biggie.
    Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Over the weekend I had the cement delivered. I had some friends help wheelbarrow the cement from the front of the house down to the back since I have no access for a truck back there. I don't have pics of my rebar sticking out but I will say that I waited too long to push them in and ended up having to hand fill around the holes they made. I also waited too long to float the cement and so I didn't get the glassy look I was going for. But, I didn't care because it's all going to be mostly covered up. I was only trying to do for the experience. When I do the hearth I'm going to watch it very closely so I can try and get a nice glossy finish, again for no reason other then I want to try.

I also had to do the obligatory hand prints and date in the cement with the wife and my 2 boys.
      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Yesterday I started hauling blocks back and started the first row. The boys also helped by putting protector plugs on the rebar.
        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Today I started stacking the rest of the block. I'm going 6 high because I'll be putting a deck in front of everything which I'll be trying to get level with the top of the first row of block around the entire kitchen. Plus, on the back side I'll be back filling up to the top of the first block with some of the extra dirt and gravel I have. I'm hoping this will keep most of the water, which tends to creep into my yard from the creak behind the fence, from getting into the kitchen area.

I also cut and tied 45" chunks of rebar to the pieces I had sticking out of the foundation and into the stand.
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I finally broke down today and ordered my firebrick from a local company. I've tried for a couple months now to get some cheaper off craigslist but have had no luck.. lots of scammers out there.. I also ordered the FB Board. Hopefully I'll have my hearth poured and ready by the time they all arrive.

-Shay
            Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Outstanding!!!! Good luck. We want Pic's. See YA.

Comment

Let me try this again. Outstanding!!!! Good luck. We want more Pic's. See YA.

Comment

Today I was able to get my angle iron and block cut for the storage area arch thingy. I know see why everyone complains about cutting those blocks.. it sucked.. 2 hours of dust flying boredom. My tip is to make lots of scoring cuts with a circular saw, masonry blade please not wood blade, and then finish with an angle grinder with masonry blade. I went through a couple saw blades and 3 grinder blades.. should have bought about 5 grinder blades cause those didn't last long and I ended up using the saw as a grinder when I was done.. oh well.
                  Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

"2 hours of dust flying boredom"

Put your blocks or bricks in a pail of water for 10 min or so before cutting (or the bubbles stop).

Less dust, and your cutting wheels will last a lot longer - 10 times longer.

Comment

Looking good Shay!!!!

Peter
                      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I got my fire brick today. I also completed the framing of the Hearth.
                        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

My Indispensable Tool and my new HF Brick Saw!
                          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Shay,

What kind of motorcycle is that in the background???
                            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

That's my 97' Suzuki TL1000S... nice eh?
                              Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                              X