Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

I spent the day yesterday filling the rest of the wall with cement, every other hole, and pouring the hearth. 32 bags of 80lb cement later and it's complete.

This morning I got my FB Boards, perfect timing, so I was able to start laying down my floor. I'm using Jim's flared brick template for the entrance and his Indispensable Tool to help layout and build the oven. I got almost all of the soldier row done but ran out of time.

BTW, I'm making my own mortar with a 3:2:2 mix of Sand, Fire Clay and Masonry Mortar... so far it's working great. Easy to use and clean up.

The new wet saw works like a champ. I could do with a bit more powerful motor but otherwise it's pretty slick.
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Yes it is nice...The build is looking pretty good too!!!! I am glad to hear that the mortar mix is working out well, I plan on using it too and I believe Timo is going that route as well. Do you have a line of people who want to borrow your "I-tool" yet??? If so I would be interested in getting on that list possibly. I wish my build was moving along as quickly.....

Peter
      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Shay,
        Looking good! You're moving fast. I loved that mortar mix. In fact, I found fine sand at Home Depot ( really fine white sand) for about the same price as playsand ( 3.98/50lb) I am waiting to apply my 'brown coat' (stucco second coat) until I figure out what to do about the cracks that develop every time I fire it up. I may just re-name my oven "The Harry Potter WFO" [ scar/crack down the forehead that flares up under extreme stress]

Lars.
        This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Peter, no list yet but happy to start one. I haven't even started using it yet though!

Lars, I think I found the same sand at Menards.. stumbled onto it while looking at the different cements and mortars.. stuff is sooooo fine, way better then play sand.

Not sure how much I'll get done this weekend, the wife and kids are home tomorrow through the weekend, but I have all next week to make a bigger dent!
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I got about 2 1/2 chains done yesterday. They went up fairly well and the tool was as advertised, indispensable. Before doing that I ripped down my oven opening and rebuilt it.. then an hour after finishing for the day I re-ripped down the oven opening and redesigned it again.. maybe 3rd time is a charm.
            Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Hi Shay,

I've started my outdoor kitchen and about to pour my oven foundation slab and had a question regarding the 3:2:2 mortar recipe you mentioned. I can purchase sand and fireclay locally, but is the mortar mix you used already have sand in it? I assume you're referring to the standard mortar mix one can get at the big box stores. Any clarification would be most appreciated.

John

Comment

John, you need Type N Masonry Cement. That's a mix of Portland and Lime. With that you do 3 parts sand, 2 parts fireclay and 2 parts masonry cement. I got all 3 at my local box store.
                Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Hey John,
                  You can mix 3:2:1:half ( fine sand, fire clay, portland, and lime ) This way, you know that the fire clay is twice the portland. You can buy fine sand, a 94lb bag of portland, lime and fire clay. I am planning to do some experiments with mortar when I start firing my oven to high temps regularly.

I used this mix throughout for the dome and it worked great.

Lars.
                  This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses Shay and Lars!

I have decided to make my oven using homebrew mortar mostly for the cost savings. If I had to I would use the Heatstop50, but the first half-dozen places I called to ask for pricing stopped carrying it. I can get fireclay for $9 per 55# bag and the rest of the stuff is at a box store 1.5mi from my house.

Thanks again. Good-looking build ya got goin'. It'll be a great place to party on those warm summer evenings!

John

Comment

I finally completed the oven opening to my satisfaction. Once I was happy with that I worked on the arch and that came out pretty good. Learned a few things that I think will help with subsequent arches. For now though I'm going to concentrate on the oven.

-Shay
                      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Shay,

Sorry to hear about the tear down and rebuild....Its looking good however. I finally got my forms finished for the slab now I just need to get three sidewalk squares busted up and framed, they need it and I'll have concrete left over from the slab...I am aiming to pour on Friday.

Peter

Kellogs or Post???
                        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Nice Peter, once you pour the fun truly begins!
                          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I'm getting close to completing the dome.. just a few more chains. If the weather holds out I'm going to try and get to just before inserting the keystone.. I might let it sit for a couple of days before I put that in.
                            Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Shay, I am absolutely stunned with your progress. From floor roughed out to Keystone in five, maybe six days, and a few rebuilds on the arch to boot, that has to be a fbworld record, and it looks great.
                              Congratulations.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim! I was able to put the 'wheel' on the tool today and finish most of the top. Only have the final keystone to make and place.. I'm going to let it set up for a couple hours before I finish it up.

The only downside I have now is that I neglected to sponge off the inside yesterday after I was done and now today I can't get the residue off. Will this burn off eventually? It's all pretty high up so the casual observer shouldn't see it but I will..

-Shay
                                Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                                X