X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KINGRIUS
    replied
    Re: Pizza Bob's 42" Build

My CAD layout shows if I keep a .350" - .500" gap on the remaining courses I will hit the 19" height.
    Cheater!!! I see there are others who have Autocad aswell. I don't know what I would have done without my cad.

Bob- really nice looking build. Your dome is making mine look like one of the ancient ones James posted in the photo gallery!

Darius

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Thanks for the advice and compliments Dino!
    I wanted to try to avoid tapering the bricks in that direction but if I need to I will on the next course. I'll dry stack a single brick for each remaining row to see where the dome ends up. I was shooting for a 19" dome height but I'd be happy with 20". My CAD layout shows if I keep a .350" - .500" gap on the remaining courses I will hit the 19" height.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Bob, yur killing me! Your brick work is fantastic!
    That 2nd, 3rd & 4th pic show the most amazing, precision cuts I've seen! It does look like you'll be doing some aggressive angle-ing in on the next couple of courses. And don't worry about a mortar gap nearing 1/2". I suspect (guilty ) when we say we never go over 1/4", we often end up with near 1/2" and we are fine. But do try to tapper the bottoms a bit even if it means having a "thinner" ring as viewed from the inside if that's what it takes to get the dome-over.

I'm with Pedro, hurry up and get the pizza's going

Nice work, Dino

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

It's disappointing to see leafs and acorns piling-up in the pizza oven! My target date of November 17th isn't gonna' happen if I keep up this snail's pace. But some progress is better than no progress...

I cut the bricks and mortared in the fourth course yesterday. The arch transition bricks really haven't given me any trouble on the last couple courses. It looks as if I should have one more set of bricks to tie into the arch and then I should be over it. It appears as if I'm not getting the tear-drop shape but we'll find out soon.

One of our three chihuahuas (Pedro) is anxious to get some toppings that might fall off the pizza...

~Bob

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Originally posted by Lars View Post
    Don't even ask me about my 'transition'. Oh man. There is one time when a saw would have come in handy. Any day now I expect those bricks to come tumbling onto my pizza.

To ream out those inside angles, I rubbed the chiseled out cuts against the concrete block edge of the base. At least they have a bit of a key way or grip to them. If there is to be a test of the 'homebrew' mortar, that is it.I'll have to tap around up there and see what comes loose.

L.
    Lars,
    Don't tap around too much! I'm quite certain I would not have been able to do those transition cuts without the Harbor Freight tile saw! What you do with that chisel is an art that I don't think I would have the patience for...

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

[QUOTE=Dino_Pizza;65360]Look great Bob. Excellent "funky" brick tied to the inner arch. I can appreciate the work that went into that cut. I can see that thin line of mortar on the inside bricks pushing your final height higher unless you compensate.QUOTE]

Thanks Dino!
    I think I can still maintain the tight mortar gap (or no mortar gap) on the inside face of the next course but I will pivot the back side up much more which will give me a large mortar joint on the outside. When I say "large" it should be approximately 1/2" - I don't think that should be a problem with HeatStop 50. Which reminds me - I need more HeatStop and bricks! Mo' money! Mo' money!

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

I measured with calipers and ended up with a mess. But it still cooks OK and nobody can see it.

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
    That indispensible tool seems to make all the difference. My transition to the arch was so ugly I didn't want to take pictures of it.

Joe
    Joe,

I couldn't use the indispensible tool on the transition bricks because it hits the arch when trying to get it into position. The trick there was the cradboard template. The shape of the cut is the same on top and bottom of brick. It's just offset and connected by the angle that will make the brick flush against the arch. I cut the notch straight and then just kept cutting the angle from top side of brick to bottom side gradually until it matched-up flush with the arch. It's difficult for me to explain but I've got it down where I cut them in 15 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

Don't even ask me about my 'transition'. Oh man. There is one time when a saw would have come in handy. Any day now I expect those bricks to come tumbling onto my pizza.

To ream out those inside angles, I rubbed the chiseled out cuts against the concrete block edge of the base. At least they have a bit of a key way or grip to them. If there is to be a test of the 'homebrew' mortar, that is it.I'll have to tap around up there and see what comes loose.

L.

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

That indispensible tool seems to make all the difference. My transition to the arch was so ugly I didn't want to take pictures of it.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Look great Bob. Excellent "funky" brick tied to the inner arch. I can appreciate the work that went into that cut. I can see that thin line of mortar on the inside bricks pushing your final height higher unless you compensate. I had the same problem but I couldn't get myself to butter the bricks from the back and leave the front (facing in) 1/4" without mortar so the bricks touch without a horizontal mortar line. I think that's were the "dome creep" happens.

Hey, maybe whoever picks up your extra bag of fireclay can swing by SoCal to pick up mine too !

Leave a comment:

• mluttropp
    replied

Wow you did an amazing job with the arch to chain connection. Mine looks terrible in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

The third course has been mortared in place. I figured-out an easy way to cut the bricks that tie into the inner arch. I basically took a piece of cardboard and cut it to the shape needed to fit against and around the arch. This shape was traced onto one side of the brick and then cut straight on the tile saw. Then I "safely" angle the brick with my "hand fixture" and cut the corect taper on the initial cut to match the angle of the inner arch (I apologize if this is difficult to follow but it worked ) See picture below.
    I also cut the compound angles for all the fourth course bricks including the funky bricks that tie into the inner arch. I started mortaring the fourth course but only got half-way through. I noticed the bricks are a little shallow to achieve a 19" dome. I have to start compensating on the next row or else my dome height will be above 21" . I haven't been using the indispensible tool to hold the bricks in place - it never seems to hold it at the correct angle . I have been using the indispensible tool to maintain the circle but the angle has been eye-balled against my form.
    I'll need to get more bricks and one more bag of HeatStop to finish the dome and last two arches. I have an extra bag of fireclay if anyone in the CT area is interested.
    The funky bricks that tie-in to the inner arch are not perfectly symmetrical from one side to the other but no one will ever notice whenthe dome is closed. It looks as if I am avoiding the tear drop shape but it may be too soon to tell...

Leave a comment:

• pd360
    replied

Bob, would you mind sharing your SolidWorks model? I use SW at work (I am a draftsman at a store fixture manufacturer) and I have just started my oven. Thanks!

-patrick

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Dino,
    Thank you for the compliments. It's taking me way too long to get this far! I have to pick-up the pace - I want to finish before the snow hits!
    The oven is a 42" diameter but I wanted a slightly lower dome. I am trying to get a 19" dome height. My template shows that I am on course to get that. I have a wooden template that I check each row with and then my indispensible tool is adjustable. I simply twist the brick holding bracket at the end of the indispensible tool a couple of turns until the brick position matches my form. The compound angle measurements that I cut on the bricks come directly from my SolidWorks design. The time consuming part for me are the bricks that tie into the arch. I just bought some green foam like you had in your pictures for trying to simplify the cuts for the bricks that tie into the arch. I'll let you know how I make out...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X