Pizza Bob's 42" Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Bob's 42" Build

Here is what I have planned for the oven. The dome isn't completely modeled but the height is there. I am also flaring the opening (thanks Dino ).
    I'm heading down to pick-up my firebricks now.
    Attached Files
    My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Ugh!
      Well I just got back from Homer Godfrey and the fire bricks, which they call REGULAR, are only 8 1/4" long!! They don't carry 9" bricks! Now I see why they are $0.99 a brick! I called and they said it's not a problem to return them. I also called New Haven Masonry and they have a FULL firebrick which is 9" long - actual measurement.
      Homer Godfrey did have fireclay so I picked-up to 50lb bags. Not sure if I need that much but...It was $18.53 per pag.
      Looks like I'll be going to new Haven tomorrow!
      Sorry if I mis-informed you Gweet.

Comment

Bob,
        Kind of pricey on the fireclay, but I bought my 90 lb. bag for something like $20. Some guy actually drove it up from kansas, so I gave them $25 for the convenience. Ended up paying $20 for a 50lb. bag later because I THOUGHT it was a 90lb. bag. Actually did NOT need the extra 50lbs. Oh well.

How much are the 9" bricks? First batch I bought were $1.75, then I later found them from an outfit called 'Plibrico' for around $1.29 ... I was happy for that price.

Lars.
        This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Lars,
          The 9" bricks are $1.25 at New Haven Masonry. There is also a place called O&G in Waterbury and Bridgeport who carries the 9" brick. They sell them for $1.15.
          I'm glad I didn't unload these from my truck and then notice...

Comment

I picked up enough firebrick to do my herringbone floor and soldier course. I dry stacked the floor on my Trex deck (Trex deck sux by the way!). I'll draw the outline of the dome and landing and then figure out how to make curved cuts with my HF 10" tile saw...

I can smell the pizza already!

Comment

I have been searching the forum...Should the soldier course get mortared to the vermicrete layer or not? I plan on using fireclay, fine sand and water slurry to level herrringbone floor. Do I use this same slurry under soldiers? The soldiers will be outside of the cooking floor.

Comment

Soldiers are mortared in place and there should be a gap between face of soldier and floor (mine is 1/4 inch).

Jim

Comment

Your leveling medium (fireclay/sand) should extend out past your soldier course, you want that level too. It's not much of a mortar: the weight of your dome will keep your oven in place.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Jim/Dmun,

So fireclay/sand/water mix under the soldier and floor bricks to level everything off. Then mortar (heat stop) on sides of soldiers. Do the soldiers get like a wedge shape of heat stop behind them to hold them to the vermicrete layer? I plan on using cardboard to form the expansion gap between floor and soldier course.
                    Thanks for all your help!

~Bob

Comment

Some progress today... I picked-up my "fine" sand and particle board for the oven footprint form. I'll use this footprint form to attach my "indispensible tool" and to protect the hearth bricks from any bricks or mortar that might fall during dome construction (hopefully just mortar falling and not bricks ). I also used particle board to transfer the footprint to the herringbone pattern of firebricks. To all the nay-sayers out there...You can cut arcs with a tile saw! The Harbor Freight saw kicked butt! It was actually much easier and quicker than I thought it would be. If it wasn't for rain in good ole Connecticut I would have finished cutting the hearth bricks.
                      My oven opening to dome transition looks different than others I have seen. I laid this out in my CAD program and it seems as if this will work just fine. This lay-out will give me a 20" opening and then flare out to 23".
                      Check-out the chihuahuas - Nomar, Pedro and Manny (my wife is a Red Sox fan and I am a Yankees fan) - they're ready to jump off the deck and end it all if I don't finish this oven and start paying them some attention!
                      I hope to have the floor in place and soldiers course cut tomorrow...

Comment

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today but some progress is better than no progress! I finished cutting the bricks for the oven footprint. Again, that Harbor Freight saw is great! Best $184 I spent! I also had a chance to dry stack the soldier course. This cooking hearth will be inside of this course as opposed to on top of it and separated with cardboard for an expansion gap. Is it me or are firebricks really, really fragile?? You look at them the wrong way and they chip!
                        I'll cut the angle on the soldiers tomorrow and then move everything over from the deck to the oven. Would there be any advantage to keeping the full height of the soldier and mortaring a wedge-shaped brick on top of each soldier to start the dome?

~Bob

Comment

Would there be any advantage to keeping the full height of the soldier and mortaring a wedge-shaped brick on top of each soldier to start the dome?
                          My personal opinion is that the taller the soldier course, the weaker the dome. I'd cut the soldiers, or even consider a half height course.

And good for you using a proper respirator! Way to go.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I did a full soldier course like yours is sitting and cut the top off at an angle - enought angle so that the next cource sat in direct contact - ie not wedge etc.

This means that if you look from the inside the amount of brick showing is just over 1/2 a brick.
                            Real men cook with fire
                            My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Bimbo,
                              Thanks for your reply. You are correct...cutting an angle of 20 degrees on the soldier will show just over 5" from the inside view.
                              What did you use for mortaring the soldier courses together? I picked HeatStop today and plan on using that but had a souple concerns:

1) The soldier course leaves a gap that is approximately 1/2" on the outer side of the dome. The HeatStop instructions say to keep the joints under 3/8". Is this is a waste of HeatStop and would it cause any problems?

2)The HeatStop I purchased was really, really inexpensive! It was only $48 for a 50lb bag. It says HeatStop 50 on the "white" bag and is manufactured by CMS Industries. Other masonry suppliers were selling it for $78! I called Rumford, who has some sorta' connection with CMS Industries (beause I couldn't get anyone to pick-up at CMS) and they explained the difference between the tan bag of HeatStop 50 and the white bag of HeatStop 50. They're manufactured at different facilities. It seems kinda' silly to change your bags depending on where it's made but he assured me there is no difference. I guess I should just stop complaining and go by more HeatStop! The masonry supplier that sold me this HeatStop said they purchase these in huge volumes and they get it for a really good price...

~Bob

Comment

I used the DIY mix of 1.1.1.3 - Portland, Lime, Fireclay and Sand.
                                Real men cook with fire
                                My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Working...
                                X