• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pizza_bob
    replied
    Re: Pizza Bob's 42" Build

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Bigger is not better or the rule of thumb would be "bigger is better". The 10% rule works, and when I am called out to diagnose a smoker, 7 times out of 10 it is incorrect flue size, too small mostly, but sometimes too big. The other 30% consists of 25% chimney placement or height, and the remaining 5% are tear it down and hire a real mason.

(fireplaces, not ovens)
    Thanks Tscarborough.
    My oven opening is approximately 250 square inches. 1/10th of this is 25 square inches. So if I go with a rectangular flue from Superior Clay (Superior Clay Flue Liners) the closest standard size (with out going undersize) would be the 4.5" x 13" which hs an effective flue area of 34 square inches. This seems like an awfully small flue compared to some that I have seen. If I went with the round flue it would be a 6" diameter.

Thanks again for all your help!

~Bob

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Bigger is not better or the rule of thumb would be "bigger is better". The 10% rule works, and when I am called out to diagnose a smoker, 7 times out of 10 it is incorrect flue size, too small mostly, but sometimes too big. The other 30% consists of 25% chimney placement or height, and the remaining 5% are tear it down and hire a real mason.

(fireplaces, not ovens)

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Thank you everyone for the compliments. Hopefully I'll have pictures of the vent and chimney soon.

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Well done Bob, congratulations. Just a few more pieces to cut for the vent and you'll be through with cutting firebrick. As dsgreco says above, the vent and chimney can be fun.
    -Dino
    So how much "fun" is the vent/chimney area??? I've seen so many different approaches. I need to select one and move forward with it. I have room to go with a 8.5" x 18" flue. This sounds HUGE but based on my understanding - bigger is better??? If I use the 1/10 ratio (oven opening to flue effective area ratio) then my flue only needs to be a 5" diameter which seems really small for a 42" oven. Let the "fun" begin...

Leave a comment:

• KraemerBAC
    replied

Congrats,

It looks great

Peter

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Congratulations, Bob!!!

George

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Well done Bob, congratulations. Just a few more pieces to cut for the vent and you'll be through with cutting firebrick. As dsgreco says above, the vent and chimney can be fun.
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

That looks awesome. ....I have to get off my butt and get outside and work on mine.

Leave a comment:

• dsgreco
    replied

Really looks great. Nothing like getting that keystone in. Have fun with the vent and chimney.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Congrats Bob!! The Key stone turned out great.
    Now to the vent construction!!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Well done! Your keystone gives inspiration to all of us who follow.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Great job on the keystone, Bob! The entire dome build looks great. I can't wait to follow it's progress to completion.

Leave a comment:

• jbarker@smarthealth.com
    replied

Bob, I was just enjoying your build so much I was in a hurry to see the finished product. Your keystone is amazing and unlike any other one I have seen. Great work!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

The keystone required a few more pix...

Leave a comment:

• pizza_bob
    replied

Thanks Dino and Fxpose!

I finally, finally, finally put the keystone in today!!! It was much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't require any forms for this. The HeatStop 50 works so well - I haven't used any forms since the last time I used the indispensible tool on the fourth row. The bricks just always held in place right up to the keystone.
    The keystone ended-up being two pieces stacked on top of each other. I traced the opening of the dome onto a piece of paper and then transferred that to a brick to cut the keystone(s). My wonderful 13 week pregnant wife came out and lightly tapped the keystone into place as I laid on my back in the dome watching the keystone come to the correct depth. The sides of the keystones were all tapered so it felt as if it tightned everything up nicely. I think I added a little too much mortar between the upper keystone and lower keystone because it didn't seat as low as it did when they were dry. So, as you can see in the pictures, the upper keystone is slightly proud of the dome. No big deal because this will be completely covered soon!
    You can also see in one of the pictures I made an "okay" sign with my fingers as a shadow - because everything is okay now that this dome is DONE!
    It sure feels good to have that keystone in there!

~Bob

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

19" Bob! That's perfect. Glad you spent the time on the last row before your keystone. It's a great parting shot. So many milestones along the way of a wfo build. They're piling up fast now.
    Can't wait to see your 2 part keystone.
    Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X