X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynon767
    replied
    Re: Jamie's build

The brick enclosures are at the High Hand nursery in Loomis, CA between Sacramento and Auburn, in the Sierra Foothills. Definitely a fun place to go to be inspired about landscaping.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Thanks for all the compliments! It makes me feel like I'm on the right track to hear encouragement from people like yourselves who have been here and know the uncertainty... "am I really doing this right?"

I was leaning toward a version of a gabled house, but now I'm not so sure. There's an example on the fb design style page here from San Gimignano that is giving me inspiration, and I'm wondering now if I just want to copy it even more closely and do a modified igloo.

Then again, I recently saw a couple of really nice brick enclosures that caught my eye (and my wife's as well)...

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

It certainly cant hurt to put another tile on,, And It should improve your draw as well,, go with it, better to do it now and feel better about it than being unhappy later....

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• plootsnot
    replied

Nice build Jamie!

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

I'm feeling the same way... I need to double-check the measurements, but I think that one more tile will put me at the right height.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Looking good! I think you should go higher on the chimney. You should be 2 feet above any structure within 10 feet for code.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Thanks. It's really moving along now; I am really feeling the need to get it done.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Very nice work!! Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

dmun- thanks! that was a huge part of the inspiration.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I love the alternating color arches: very Alhambra-like:

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

are you going to enclose the dome ? If you are I would go a little higher, if not it looks like your fine,, you are far enough away from the garage the smoke shouldnt bother it... Building code however might be another issue,, Nice brickwork,,,

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Dry-fit of the flue tiles. I am hoping that this will be tall enough, but the proximity of the garage makes me unsure.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

I built the vent transition the other day, and am contemplating chimney issues and design styles. I am torn between a high-sloped igloo, a brick enclosure, modified gabled house, or some hybrid combination of the different elements. It's hard to put into words, but I am envisioning a prominent chase protruding from the front of the oven; behind that, things are a little murky. Our design vision has altered over the course of the project, but now we need to nail down the details.

I think I mentioned before that I wanted a full-width vent transition, since the area between my arches is rather shallow. So, I built a sloped-sidewall box to support the chimney, with the weight being taken primarily by the two arches and to a lesser extent the front of the dome (although I suppose, really, that ultimately transfers to the inner arch as well). The main goal was to get as smooth a transition to the chimney as I could.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Yeah, me too. I figured, it's tradition, I might as well!

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

I always love the prideful final-keystone photos on FB.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X