• Show
Clear All

Re: Jamie's build

Very nice work!! Congrats.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks. It's really moving along now; I am really feeling the need to get it done.
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Looking good! I think you should go higher on the chimney. You should be 2 feet above any structure within 10 feet for code.
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I'm feeling the same way... I need to double-check the measurements, but I think that one more tile will put me at the right height.
          -jamie

Comment

Nice build Jamie!

Comment

It certainly cant hurt to put another tile on,, And It should improve your draw as well,, go with it, better to do it now and feel better about it than being unhappy later....

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments! It makes me feel like I'm on the right track to hear encouragement from people like yourselves who have been here and know the uncertainty... "am I really doing this right?"

I was leaning toward a version of a gabled house, but now I'm not so sure. There's an example on the fb design style page here from San Gimignano that is giving me inspiration, and I'm wondering now if I just want to copy it even more closely and do a modified igloo.

Then again, I recently saw a couple of really nice brick enclosures that caught my eye (and my wife's as well)...
                -jamie

Comment

The brick enclosures are at the High Hand nursery in Loomis, CA between Sacramento and Auburn, in the Sierra Foothills. Definitely a fun place to go to be inspired about landscaping.
                  -jamie

Comment

Along the lines of the San Gimignano oven was this one from Pennsylvania; A combination of the two, with a vertically-sided, conically-topped igloo and a tall, curvy chimney chase, might be just the ticket.
                    -jamie

Comment

I like the brick work on your base, if you enclose your oven with bricks I think it will look really nice.

Rod
                      I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Jamie,
                        I really like the first extended igloo... Very cool,, Now Im thinking how can I redo mine like that... good luck with whatever you choose... The only advise i can offer is start cooking pizza first, then decide
                        Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                          Jamie,
                          I really like the first extended igloo... Very cool,, Now Im thinking how can I redo mine like that... good luck with whatever you choose... The only advise i can offer is start cooking pizza first, then decide
                          Cheers
                          Mark
                          I had to figure out the enclosure before I figure out the insulation before I cure before I fire; hence the deep debate here for the last few days... we want that first pizza without (more) delay!
                          -jamie

Comment

This is the vent transition. I think I did a pretty good job in making a relatively smooth, steep throat into the chimney... we'll see when I actually put smoke up it, right?
                            -jamie

Comment

Wow, that looks great Jamie.
                              The brickwork, the corner installation, it all looks really nice. I like your black-pen outline of the tall chimney on your 1st pic with the short roof "ears". It looks particularly elegant. Also, good attention to the full-width vent opening. Even though you're less than a brick deep, you have a good, tall vent transition with it so as Mark said, another bit of height on the vent and I'm sure it will draw just fine.
                              Can't wait to see your 1st fire (however, please take your time and start slow).
                              Cheers, Dino
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Jamie,,
                                you did a great job,,, You are now an official member of "WFOAMBA" Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America" Welcome to the club I just made up.. Your the second memeber... Anyone else that cares to join put it in you signature line.... New members always accepted..
                                Cheers
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X