Jamie's build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jamie's build

After my curing fires, I decided to go for the gusto and do the thanksgiving turkey. The meal was a phenomenal success... I'll probably post about it in one of the cooking threads soon.

In fact, it was such a rousing success, the friends and extended family we saw a few days later requested an encore. Yes, I cooked two turkeys in 3 days; I even had a third round with the rest of the extended family we visited on Sunday. I am officially turkey'd out.

Unfortunately, I found that after the second bird we cooked, there was a nice-sized crack running down from about 3/4 of the way up down to the floor. Most of the way it zig-zagged along the mortar joints; but right where I had staggered the seams most effectively to prevent that sort of running seam crack, there was a split straight through the middle of the brick.

I had used a combination of two different colors of firebrick based on what was available and discounted at the time of purchase. They were both from the same manufacturer, both nominally medium duty, but different colors and textures, with a somewhat different density. I have a suspicion that the slightly larger, slightly rougher, slightly less dense yellow brick had a different expansion/contraction rate than the harder red bricks, and cracked during the cooling cycle. It was a chilly (although not terribly cold), windy day, and the temperature may have fallen somewhat quickly after the bird was removed (as I neglected to close the door back up afterward). I don't know for sure that this was the problem, but it is one possibility. The other possibility is just that there wasn't enough medium-heat curing time before my big fires, but I think that between the propane burner setup and the two days of high-heat curing fires I was probably pretty good. After all, it wasn't just the mortar that cracked, and it was after both high heat curing and cooking a previous bird.
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Jamie,
      I seriously wouldnt worry as things dry and cure and settle together it may still close up.. if its that bad yu can always repont it... give it some time... glad to hear your turkey came out so welll.... post it in the http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/18/t...html#post73265thread with pics of course

cheers and congratulations
      Mark

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying not to worry too much. I've read all the horror stories about cracks, and the advice that they are usually not too much of a problem. I don't foresee this being too bad. I will post pics of both the bird and the crack when I get them uploaded.
        -jamie

Comment

update-

I haven't been too active on the board lately... raising a 2-year-old will do that. The oven is coming along, though. Now that spring is in full swing, I've finally gotten my chimney cap sorted out. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it during construction; you'll have to use your imagination. I received the directive that it should be copper; it set mt back about $75 for the copper sheet (ouch) and took a couple of weeks working intermittently, but it's on and functional. Now all that need to be done is the surface coat of stucco and final weatherproofing. Since it absorbed a bit of water over the winter, I intend to wait until this summer to put on any sealing coats. I intend to give it a smooth plaster finish, probably painted in a pale earth tone (white would be too stark, I think).
          -jamie

Comment

I wouldn't go with white. You are going to have a fair amount of carbon building up around the vent exit. Your build is looking great.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              I wouldn't go with white. You are going to have a fair amount of carbon building up around the vent exit. Your build is looking great.

Les...
              That's a very good point. I'll have to think about that... there's already a bit of soot, so you're definitely right.
              -jamie

Comment

Since it's been a while since I've posted, here's an update on the current state of the oven:

It has been working great. I'm finally in the swing of using it, and have really gotten the hang of pizza. It's the other aspects of wood-fired cooking that have really got me going, though. We've been roasting and baking at least as much as we've been doing pizza, and it's been more useful than I would have imagined.

We've been doing our thanksgiving (and other holiday) meals with it, and it's been great. 15 pound turkey plus 20-plus pound ham plus several other dishes and casseroles all at once, without batting an eye... and without overcrowding the indoor kitchen.

It really proved it's worth, though, when we had a freezer mishap and ended up with about 70 pounds of thawed beef. My wife went in on a deal with some of her co-workers and bought a quarter of a locally raised and butchered grass-fed steer. A great deal for some excellent meat... half of which was almost lost. I went out to the garage to pull out a roast for dinner, and found that the plug has fallen out and everything that was out there completely thawed, still cool to the touch but no longer even a little frozen. All the steaks were in the freezer in the kitchen, but there were about 25 pounds of hamburger, 7 or 8 roasts of several varieties, short ribs, and a few various other cuts all in the garage. We knew we had to act fast to save it... it was too thawed to refreeze, but we could cook it and freeze the prepared meals. So, I fired up the oven and we got to cooking. My wife cooked up the ground beef into taco meat and spaghetti sauce while I prepped the roasts. After a full day of cooking, we put the last two chuck roasts in the oven for an overnight slow cook. It all came out great, and now we have a ready stock of meals to defrost and reheat.

The garden and outdoor kitchen have really come together, and thanks to this forum we have a beautiful and functional centerpiece.
                -jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Congrats on your completion! I like the stucco & brick design. And I love the corner build & "L" layout!

We also have a freezer full of grassfed beef, so lots of roasting in our future once the WFO is done. I liked your story of how you "saved" your beef by cooking it in the oven. Good to know in case that happens to us.

Good cookin' and keep the food & pizza pics coming.

aceves

P.S. I explained my key placement in my thread. Have a look when you get a chance.

aceves

Comment

Working...
                  X