36x17 with tall soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36x17 with tall soldier?

First wood fire today after we got the chimney installed. Exciting!

The oven is done structurally. All that remains is insulation and a cosmetic finish with cultured stone.

The counters are ready for tile and then a cedar edge wrap.

The chimney drafts like a champ. That makes me very happy.

Comment

That's so great that your chimney is drawing well! What a great accomplishment. It looks really nice in your patio going thru the roof like that. Is that your 1st curing fire or did already do that and we're looking a more serious cooking fire? Congratulations on your oven. -Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks. Like I said earlier. I owe much gratitude to this community for inspiration and guidance. I learned rapidly from others. I couldn't imagine taking this on without that knowledge base.

I put a propane burner inside for 2.5 days. 300, 350, and 400. Any hotter than that and I was nervous to burn the hose. I wanted the chimney up before I started the dirty burn. I'd hate to soot up the inside of the cedar roof structure. I kept that fire around 400-450 and today went up to 500-550. The dome cracks are showing up now as epxected. But, it all looks sound still.

The guy that built the roof for me wants an oven now. So, we'll have fun planning that out at his place next. He's got a cool outdoor bathroom/shower design we have discussed. The oven will branch off of that structure. Pretty cool. His yard is like a playground for adults. So, this will fit right in.

Comment

that is looking terrific, i love he undercounter lighting and the large beams. did you have to get a permit from the city and deal with inspectors for that porch addition?

Comment

Thanks.

I had hired a contractor, now a friend, for a bedroom addition on the house. I couldn't do both projects this year. The cedar beam roof over the outdoor bar area was his idea. The idea appealed to me over the Pergola I was going to build. Plus, the price was right. He took care of the permits. But, yes, I think you would need them since you are typically cutting in to the existing home roof. We ran the roof back in to the peak of the house. The addition and the bar area made a nice courtyard out of the deck I built years ago. It all ties together well.

One more little slab and I'll tile the whole area to match.

Comment

Today was pizza school day. I made a batch of dough last night and another, slightly different batch this morning. Both were good. Although, I liked the longer proofed one slightly better.

The first pizza was a mess. I put too much sauce on and made a mess trying to get it in the oven. I took it out too soon too. The amazing part. This was my worst pizza of the 3 I made and it still beat the local wood oven pizzeria. My test subject agreed.

The second pizza was better as I learned how much, how fast, how hot, how long, and how to handle all that is involved in the process.

The third try was the charm though. That one disappeared and was enjoyed thoroughly.

I couldn't be happier with the results and look forward to more experimenting.

Bravo Forno Bravo.

Video of the third pizza. First pizza's in new wood oven on Vimeo

Comment

More progress.

I finished the tile on the base for the smoker unit yesterday. That took more time than I expected. But, I am happy with how it looks. Here's a shot showing the enclosure for the oven. Speaking of which,... the oven has been performing very well. We had a cool looking and very hot fire going in it yesterday. All the smoke burned off and you could observe all the dome detail inside. Without any door on, the oven dome was still 330 degrees this morning.

The pizzas have been a big hit. Empty plates are always a good sign.

I need to shop for stone for the oven face now. However, my contractor friend offered up some stone for free if I wish. I'll check it out and see how it looks. He said it will require lots of cuts. I'm pretty used to that at this point though.

The outer counter, 95% finished. Even if I don't get around the decorating the oven enclosure I am happy that the oven itself is weatherproof now. We were discussing covering things with tarps last night. A few good ideas got me thinking.... Plus, an observation that the oven does put out a decent amount of heat to the surrounding area. Some tarps draped off the overhang should create a nice barrier to use the space even in the worst weather outside. I'll investigate a better design for the future, in the spring maybe. But, for now, some tarps will have to do.

Comment

I need to shop for stone for the oven face now.
                  You could always use that attractive tile you used for your countertops, it would tie the whole thing together visually.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good idea, but it would dominate the scene too much, IMO. I want something that contrasts and compliments at the same time. I have a few patterns and colors in mind. I just need to find time to shop them out.

Plus, I'm kind of sick of tile for a while. I just grouted the last sections of about 800 tile out there. Cultured stone sounds more fun at this point and I think it will look better.

Comment

Working...
                    X