Oven Build In Central Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Build In Central Alabama

Thought I'd start my own thread on my build. I have added a few more shots of my project and here is a side bar as to why I use MetalHead as a name

Shop Pictures - I build stuff out of steel .... But for a good pizza you need more than that .

I love this forum and have read a bunch of threads already and truly look forward to getting my build documented here.

Thanks in advance for all the help !!!!

So here is my build so far and my not so trusty side kick (hides when it gets hot out).

We will have an over look for the farm. I did the ground work and had the pad,wall and base done by local craftsmen (My contribution to boost the economy). (On that note I let these guys come do stuff for me between other jobs as fill work. It is slow at times, but you can usally get things done cheaper this way).

I am going to start on the pad on top of the base next.
    Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

Hello fellow Alabamain,
    lol i am in southeast al. aka Dothan. im in planning process of building oven on trailer to use at festivals and such. its great to have someone lol fairly close to converse with.
    i and considering using the geodesic design for oven but am still weighing the pro's and con's of it on trailer.. your build looks great! keep the pics and posts coming... as i will when i get mine all together.(dang i shoulda payed much more attn in math class way back then!)
    Life is but a feather! Thus we get plucked one feather at a time!

Comment

Well you may be in luck there. I have also been through the throws of the concession trailer business. (PICS Later) but with Shaved Ice and Desserts. What work that is. All people see are the long lines and think that must be easy money. The don't see all the time and money it takes to goto events. And what happens when the weather changes or all the hours you wait for people to decide they ALL want to eat at the same exact time !!!! (hence the "long" lines) My wife looks at me with "Your own your own this time" every time I mention a retail business because of those years.

Have you seen this rig home They got it goin on with that one. Heck you otta get the Primevera rig from FB and stick that on a trailer or in a nice truck like that guy did. You could be in the fall show season in "No" time... Easy money ehh??? Ha Ha

Comment

LOL sounds like you have been thru the ropes also. i have built from ground up 2 concession trailers. both made me money and i sold them because some fool i mean someone wanted them worse than i did.. yea i made money off food sales and better money off selllin the trailers without puttin them up for sale.. i own a small deli and the trailers outweighed sales bigtime even with all the stuff you konw about in the "easy money" lol concession business.. i am thinkin about buying a trailer already made that has forno bravo oven already to go as you spoke of. im thinkin it might be my best bet...

Comment

Dang, we Alabamians really are taking over...

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post
          So here is my build so far and my not so trusty side kick (hides when it gets hot out).
          I hate to tell you, Batman, but I think Robin has the right idea.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

LOL who woulda thought that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oven Build In Central Alabama

Ok got a sweet deal today on a tile saw. MK-101 for $363.00 with a blade on it also. Looks like it has only been used a few times or at least it was well kept. Took a few lunch breaks to find it at one of many Pawn shops around town. I know everyone likes the HF saw, but this was a great deal I thought and not TOO much more than the HF saw.

Looks like a July 06 unit. We will see how she does . I'll be starting on my hearth this weekend!!!

Comment

Good buy! The HF is a cheap Chinese knock-off of this very unit. What a good idea to visit pawn shops, we all know the construction guys are in distress. (not to gloat over someone elses misery)
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah it took some looking. There were many that were worn out. Lots of Bridge saws, IMER, Target and MK. I guess all kinds and brands. It just took a few times to find a clean one then work them to get the price down. It was listed at 599.00 (Never pay sticker at a pawn shop). Always knock off about 65%(As an out the door tax and all price) of what is on the sticker then walk away at least once and come back later if they don't want to sell at that price. I like to haggle!!!

I saw someone bought seconds of fire brick for cheap and I am going to call today to see if my brick yards have any.

I filled most of the holes in my block base the other day. I stuffed paper in them and put cement on top. I left 3 holes so I can actually fill in the blocks for support and rebar. My block wall was mortared in. will these three columns (I may add a fourth) with rebar be enough support?

I want to get my hearth pour completed this weekend.

Comment

Ok - Picked up $210.00 worth of stuff at Lowe's today for the hearth concrete form and will start "early" in the morning... HA HA ...

And feedback on the blocks not being all filled with concrete? My base has mortared block and I intend to fill 3 or 4 of the holes with rebar and concrete.

I'll read some more tonight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post

And feedback on the blocks not being all filled with concrete?
                      Every other core and you are golden. You said that your base base has mortared block. Is there steel coming through it from the slab?

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

No - That does concern me. I started out this base with the Allen Scott oven design and changed gears. The pad is thick and has rebar in it, but I did not have the mason drill any rebar into the pad. I figured I would fill the holes and put rebar and concrete in the holes and if for some strange reason anything decided to move off it's mortared base it would be one big mass.

I do not have frost line issues here or heaving problems with the ground. I guess I am farr enough south that most pad installs here are monolithic.
                        Last edited by MetalHead; 09-18-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I concur - if you tie it together from here, how in the hell can the mass move separately? Do you have earthquakes in Alabama (other than when Bama loses )

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Actually, we do have earthquakes! And once in a great while you can even feel them!

Morning earthquake in Alabama | NBC13.com

Bama never loses!

They just occasionally have point deficits at the end of a game...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

"MK-101 for $363.00 with a blade on it also"

That is a good buy. These are well enough made that, after you build your oven, you can probably sell it for around what you paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X