• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

Great start on the brick work.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

The Angleizer tool rocks. We set a template after we used the string to get our apex angles and cut a few bricks. Once we were happy we set the tool up and used it as a guide to mark the rest.

Angle-izer

A trick we figured out (may be covered elsewhere) is that we marked the bricks with a sharpie BEFORE they went in for a soak in the water. Then the line would not come off when cut with the saw.

Sharpie would not work on wet brick and the pencil was ok, but washed off about half way through the cut.

Another thing we did was used a brick chisle to split the bricks in half. A good firm pressure, wood backing and a good hit with follow through did a good job. I think this saves a lot of cutting and time on the diamond saw blade.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Here are shots of the floor and first course test fit.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Here we got the insaboard layer put down and started doing our cuts. This is my friend and the first use of the tile saw I bought way back when a few posts and years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Welcome back!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I'm BaaaaaaaaaaaaCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK !!! Note my date from last year ... 2011. Well I have pics to prove it ............... really. Made some progress today. I will get them posted soon. We got the Insaboard layer in and got my floor and the cuts done for the first course.

Glad to be back with an update finally !!! Hope it won't take 2 more years to get the next steps complete !!!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

By 'shortly' you mean 'October', right? The heat indices are in the red zone all over the state. It's in the mid 80's outside now - 9:15 pm!

No dying in the process - it's against the rules!

Personally, I'm buying Gatorade stock...

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well hard to believe it has been a year !! Man - I am finally trying to get back moving on my oven. Been getting ribbed all year to see when it will be done. I have some help lined up and will get moving shortly. Man I have seen some cool advances and got to read some neat stuff the last few days. So I am looking forward to getting those ideas into my build.

Did I mention it is hot as fire around here !!! 100 today. At least I have a shade !!!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post

Now off to Bottega's to have some WFO food (He has a cook book out all over the country now)

Bottega | Restaurant and Cafe

We are going to the Cafe side.

Rub it in, why don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I would not put a 2-3" layer of anything on there. It would be a good idea to wetset the floor brick in heatcast, but that is all you need.

Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well there we have it. About 6 hours / Rack of ribs (it is the 4th weekend) / and some beers later....

8 yards of perlite and 1 80lb bag of Portland cement. That gave me a 5 inches insulating layer.

We have covered it with plastic (not pictured) Had Coronas (not pictured ) and we will wait a week or two to see how it looks.

I think I am going to pour a 2 to 3 inch layer of Heat Cast next to beef up the base and then start with the floor.

Glad to be back FINALLY working on mt WFO !!!!

Oh - who is that masked man ??? Me of course and the other guy in the last set is my Brother inlaw. Working for future food options of course !!!

Now off to Bottega's to have some WFO food (He has a cook book out all over the country now)

http://www.bottegarestaurant.com/

We are going to the Cafe side.
    Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

We tried 7 to 1 but it was just to dry for the perlite we had. We went on to 5 to 1 and got what I expected from all the reading.

We did a 5 to 1 mix (5 parts perlite to 1 part Portland Cement).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmcnBjv0Qv4

The cement was mixed 1.5 parts water to 1 part Portland Cement. This gave the slurry I was looking for and coated the fine perlite very well.

We will see how it does after I let it set for a week or two.

I was weird to see something that was so wet actually look like it was to dry... Strange, but that seems to be a common thread when doing perlcrete...

The perlite came from a block company here in the city and this type is used to fill block walls. Not the best, but all I could get at the time.
    Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well we got back going today. Had great weather to get back in the groove. The heat wave broke today and made a nice early summer day for making perlcrete.

Here are the forms we put in using leftover form materials from the base pour.

I even used recycled screws!!!
    Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Hi! Welcome back!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Hello - I am back. Wow it has been 9 months... Work sucks ...
    But hey - got my Heat Stop 50 and Heat Cast 40 ordered.

I hope to get the pearlite out in a week or so and get this project going again.

Everyone around knows I am building this thing and keep asking me when the pizza part is.

Glad to be back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X