• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MetalHead
    replied
    Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

Well - No Concrete Today ...

It was a great day out and I did get some things done in the afternoon.

I picked up this mixer at Lowe's and 20 - 80lb bags of Cement.

I also got my scaffold setup next to the oven. I should be able to pour it into the frame.

I'll try to pour tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

How to Finish a Large Span of Concrete - wikiHow

Check out Step 26. Seems strangely appropriate to wood fired oven building...

Since your frame is so high you may want to weight the tarp. Hanging weights off the overhang will help it drain better (more taut = better drainage). Otherwise you may end up w/ puddles over your head. They aren't fun when the tarp tears or pulls away.

Trust me, I know...

Stupid tarp...
    Last edited by Archena; 09-27-2009, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

The plastic stands stay in the pour. As far as the cover, the funny part is I have everything in place and even have the steel roofing. I just left it off so I could build the oven.

I may stretch a tarp over the frame though... hmmm Good thought !!!

Leave a comment:

• KINGRIUS
    replied

MetalHead- Looking real tight so far. Regain your strength and keep up the good work!
    I'm up here in Asheville NC and got the same rain you did today. You need you a dang canopy like I got. Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	277028Then you build- rain or shine!

Darius

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Your forms are looking great. I'm curious about the plastic stands. Do you pull those or leave them in. I've seen the concrete ones used, nd they are left in the pour. But you obviously never see the bottom side like you will here.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Yea I figured I'd better fix that one . Beer and Bear... Ha.

No plumb bob, just picky.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

No fair editing while I'm posting...

Anyone else notice that his forms are dang near perfect?

You used a plumb bob, didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Spiders: another great reason to build the door for your oven. I didn't see my first Black widow until I was in my 30s; now they're all over the place. Amongst other friendly things that you might find an oven in Alabama are wasps and dirt daubers. On the bright side, fire ants aren't likely to move in...

I grew up in Alabama. I was just thinking the other day that the weather finally gotten back to normal. When I was a girl it was normal for it to rain a few days every other week.

What plastic stands are you talking about?

By the way, what happened when you grabbed that bear?

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Ok Ready to pour concrete. I will try to do that tomorrow. I was beat.

I did not know about the FB extreme workout !!!!!

I'm glad a took a picture of the sun... lasted about 10 minutes and started raining again!!!

I will add some more braces to the cantilever and my wire ties for the form before I pour. I am going to pick up the Kobalt Mixer from Lowe's and see how it does.....

Man did I mention I was sore ...... P90FB

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

More Rain !!! Arrrrg !!!

I think everyone should have a 4 inch Grinder with different kinds of blades. This is another Pawn shop special.

Once it got "about" noon ish I grabed me a beer, stoked my smoker fire and started cutting rebar and wiring it in.

I put these short pieces on the ends I dropped into the hole to keep the rebar in the center of my blocks.

Instead of putting blocks across the opening under the hearth, I just added a recess form to pour some concrete in. I figure this will give the cantilever more strenght anyway.
    Last edited by MetalHead; 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I made a temp hold for the sides until I could get a box built. I took it out after I had the box made.

I put everything together with screws and I will reclaim them for other projects. I also left wood in whole pieces wherever possible.

Then the rain set in and I just kept on working between the showers. It has rained more this year than I remeber EVER... We had bad drought 3 years ago now we get the rains !!!
    Last edited by MetalHead; 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM. Reason: Smaller photos

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well I have been at it all day. Fired up my old buddy since I was there with it and started working on the oven. Found an unfriendly first thing. So note to all beware when you uncover and start working on your ovens. This Black Widow is not as nasty as some in Australia, but pretty bad just the same.

I got the form finished except for an Idea I had to help hold the form and keep it from buldging. I saw Dino did the wire and bracing. I will take steel wire and loop it on the second piece of rebar on the side on each side and drill holes inline with the rebar in the for then pull these wires through and lock them in place. I'll post some picks of that tomorrow.

Has anyone had these plastic stand offs melt?? I thought about that after I finished... I hope not !!!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post
    Well that was the second trip . All the supports and bracing and I will have a cantilever off the front. I did not have any scrap wood for the forms so I had to buy all new materials.

Plus I over build everything. Parinoid I guess
    Ah, okay. A little paranoia is okay - sometimes someone really is after you.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Thanks James !!!

I've been reading in Dino's thread on the vent opening. I also saw his drawing on position, but still wonder how other 42" units are positioned.

I read a ton hear like I do on some of my other projects.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey guys, I have moved MetalHead's thread into this category. I think it will get better response here.

Enjoy!
    James

Leave a comment:

Working...
X