X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KINGRIUS
    replied
    Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

[QUOTE=MetalHead;68067]I have a strange sighting this morning. It is yellow orange with blue all around. There also appears to be these little points of light all over the blue area. Can anyone assist me in identifing the strange event? [QUOTE]

Sorry, I haven't a clue. Our sky is usually the same as yours: a grayish to black hue with moisture droplets falling all the time. You might call NASA and report this phenomenon.

Were you able to get anything done?

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

You set the sky on fire. Go get a bucket and put it out!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I have a strange sighting this morning. It is yellow orange with blue all around. There also appears to be these little points of light all over the blue area. Can anyone assist me in identifing the strange event?

Now of course after what seems rain for weeks, it is unseasonably cool with that Arctic blast comin down on us!!! Currently 36 degrees. But it appears its going to be nice today up to 58 degrees for the high. I'll see if it has dried up enough to do any thing.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Hey MetalHead,
    Your Sketchup model looks great. I'm really impressed with your base and hearth slab. I can appreciate the hard work and attention to construction detail.

You asked me on my thread last week (I was gone on vacation) about my vent and smoke draw and it is still perfect. Smoke only swirls on the landing area and gets sucked up like there's an electric fan in there. It's really cool.

The deep (15") landing I made forced me to make a big flu-box opening above that forced me to be extra careful to design the way it narrows into the 8" duct and it was worth the trouble. I THINK I might have been able to do it with a 1 or 2" shallower landing area and still would have drawn nicely. But my outer arch is taller than the inner so all of that contributes to the vent draw. The flared opening also forces you to have a wider vent opening. I've seen recent posts here of sharper flares and narrower but at least a slight flare seems to work out for most lately. It's easier to get your door in too that way.

Sorry you have to put up with all that rain but we're taskmaster here on this Forum and need pics of progress, rain or shine!

Keep up the good work, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Yeah, it took a while to convince him the Eighties were over.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

At least Fred lost the tee shirt over long sleeve shirt look. That was pretty dorky.

Leave a comment:

• KINGRIUS
    replied

I thought that was you in your sketch! Very nice plan. You're building a whole outside hang out temple with the wfo being the center of attention. If your build comes close to your plan it'll be rediculously awesome.

Darius

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I hope he likes Pizza !!!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Purdy!

That Sketch Up guy needs a name. He's in so many pics around here that he has an honorary membership!

I vote we call him Fred!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

I updated my WFO Sketchup....

What I do when it is raining

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post

I am on vaca the next week so I hope to get some work done...
    It's supposed to rain most of next week...

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Thanks - Now I can use that !!!

Next question. I picked up one bag of portland cement. Will this be enough for 3 4cfu bags of Percrete?

I got my bricks also and 2 55lb bags of fire clay.

But it won't quit raining. I decide to park under a shed last night and good thing I did since it rained. I had to store all the perlite, clay and portland in my shop until I can make my percrete forms and pour.

I am on vaca the next week so I hope to get some work done...

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

(60*60*4)/(12*12*12)=8 1/3 cu ft.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

OK Cross eyed from reading - need some help.

I found CVDukes method for mixing vermicrete.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post29501

I am going to make perlcrete (Can't find anyone with Vermiculite) but I did find perlite for $10.00 a bag.

I need to know how much ya'll used pouring the insulating layer. I plan on having the insulating layer a little larger than my 42" inch oven, say 60x60 plus the hearth area. I think one bag of portland will be good, but how many 4 cubic foot bags of Perlite will I need?

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

These guys have a number of supplier suggestions.
    Vermiculite.COM--a guide on how and where to purchase vermiculite in the United States and the world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X