Oven Build In Central Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

OK playing around since it is raining so much. Maybe I can get some of the form today.. Maybe

Here is a Sketchup Drawing of my project.
    Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Comment

Well I got started on framing the hearth today. Notice how wet everthing is !!! It's been raining for like a month straight!!! Got the inside of the base framed up. I also cut my plywood for the top of the frame. (Ripped 4x8x56 into two parts).

I used screws and installed all so they can be removed from the bottom to get the forms out.

I used 2x3 for leg supports. They were cheaper than the 2x4 and I feel I have good support under the slab.

I still have to build the cantilever frame and I am going to widen the top to accommodate a 42 inch oven.

3 questions (OK lots of questions )

I am looking at a 20 (Maybe 19 after reading) inch door that is 12 inches high in the center. My dome will be 21 inches and the 63% rule says my opening should be 13 3/4. Will a lower opening help or hurt? I read the Sticky thread on openings that James posted and I like the special door with the wide bottom for Pizzas and a buldge in the center for taller stuff like bread to go into the oven.

How large should the vent opening be? I am thinking as wide as the opening and 4.5 inches wide (Half of a brick). I want draw, but not to much as to suck out heat.

I am thinking of a flared opening that is basically a straight line out from the center point of my oven. I guess that is perpendicular to the radius of the dome. (Damn I should have studied harder in school) Back then the thought was I'd never need all this math... boys was I wrong...

Also my center point of my dome is in the middle of the base mass (in the photo its where the 2x4s cross in the middle). This is basically 36" from the back edge of the block and 32" from the side. Is this the correct center for the dome? I am figuring after the floor brick is laid in I have 15 inches from there to do my soldiers and insulate and frame (I am actually thinking of a mosaic or igloo look) . Is this 15 inches enough?

On the hearth front the cantiliver will add an additional 12 inches to that 15 so I will be 27" from the center point of the oven to the outer edge where I'll be feeding the oven. Anyone having issues with there oven and the reach inside?

All the reading (My wife thinks I am a FB junkie at the moment ) but I am reading out of fear of screwing up at the moment .

So off to get some rest..

Comment

Hey just bumping this thread to see if anyone can help me answer a few questions I have before I dive back into the Pompeii pool this weekend?

Comment

Well I made another trip to the Hardware Store to pick up some more wood for my forms. I spent another $64.00 and I'll see if I am going to need to go back again for form materials

I am thinking of getting the mixer that lowes sells. Has anyone used it?

Amazon.com: Black Lynx 636004 1.5 HP Electric Drive Cement Mixer: Home Improvement

Comment

I don't understand (not an unusual state of affairs for me). From what I can see all you need is the floor and the sides. A sheet of ply should do that, so how'd you end up paying $64?

(Note to self: probably not worth a trip to Columbiana for lumber...)
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Well that was the second trip . All the supports and bracing and I will have a cantilever off the front. I did not have any scrap wood for the forms so I had to buy all new materials.

Plus I over build everything. Parinoid I guess

Comment

Hey guys, I have moved MetalHead's thread into this category. I think it will get better response here.

Enjoy!
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James !!!

I've been reading in Dino's thread on the vent opening. I also saw his drawing on position, but still wonder how other 42" units are positioned.

I read a ton hear like I do on some of my other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post
                    Well that was the second trip . All the supports and bracing and I will have a cantilever off the front. I did not have any scrap wood for the forms so I had to buy all new materials.

Plus I over build everything. Parinoid I guess
                    Ah, okay. A little paranoia is okay - sometimes someone really is after you.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Well I have been at it all day. Fired up my old buddy since I was there with it and started working on the oven. Found an unfriendly first thing. So note to all beware when you uncover and start working on your ovens. This Black Widow is not as nasty as some in Australia, but pretty bad just the same.

I got the form finished except for an Idea I had to help hold the form and keep it from buldging. I saw Dino did the wire and bracing. I will take steel wire and loop it on the second piece of rebar on the side on each side and drill holes inline with the rebar in the for then pull these wires through and lock them in place. I'll post some picks of that tomorrow.

Has anyone had these plastic stand offs melt?? I thought about that after I finished... I hope not !!!

Comment

I made a temp hold for the sides until I could get a box built. I took it out after I had the box made.

I put everything together with screws and I will reclaim them for other projects. I also left wood in whole pieces wherever possible.

Then the rain set in and I just kept on working between the showers. It has rained more this year than I remeber EVER... We had bad drought 3 years ago now we get the rains !!!
                        Last edited by MetalHead; 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM. Reason: Smaller photos

Comment

More Rain !!! Arrrrg !!!

I think everyone should have a 4 inch Grinder with different kinds of blades. This is another Pawn shop special.

Once it got "about" noon ish I grabed me a beer, stoked my smoker fire and started cutting rebar and wiring it in.

I put these short pieces on the ends I dropped into the hole to keep the rebar in the center of my blocks.

Instead of putting blocks across the opening under the hearth, I just added a recess form to pour some concrete in. I figure this will give the cantilever more strenght anyway.
                          Last edited by MetalHead; 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Ok Ready to pour concrete. I will try to do that tomorrow. I was beat.

I did not know about the FB extreme workout !!!!!

I'm glad a took a picture of the sun... lasted about 10 minutes and started raining again!!!

I will add some more braces to the cantilever and my wire ties for the form before I pour. I am going to pick up the Kobalt Mixer from Lowe's and see how it does.....

Man did I mention I was sore ...... P90FB

Comment

Spiders: another great reason to build the door for your oven. I didn't see my first Black widow until I was in my 30s; now they're all over the place. Amongst other friendly things that you might find an oven in Alabama are wasps and dirt daubers. On the bright side, fire ants aren't likely to move in...

I grew up in Alabama. I was just thinking the other day that the weather finally gotten back to normal. When I was a girl it was normal for it to rain a few days every other week.

What plastic stands are you talking about?

By the way, what happened when you grabbed that bear?

[/CENTER]

Comment

No fair editing while I'm posting...

Anyone else notice that his forms are dang near perfect?

You used a plumb bob, didn't you?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X