John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

There's really no need for foil. The blanket is entirely flexible, and any stucco that sticks to it will move with expansion.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      There's really no need for foil. The blanket is entirely flexible, and any stucco that sticks to it will move with expansion.
      Hi dmun,

I was just thinking from the perspective that once the wet render comes in contact with the insulation blanket it will be absorbed to a certain extent and solidify. This in turn will reduce it's thermal qualities and be prone to cracking as it then becomes one.

By adding the aluminium foil you totally separate the insulation with the render.
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

You also create a vapor barrier that greatly slows the drying of your oven, and it's not like it is going to help keep your insulation dry on a long term basis, because the aluminum will rot out in contact with the caustic portland.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the info Dmun, Just thought I would try something different but will take your advice and not use the aluminium.

Cheers
          John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Had a chance to work on the oven today and finished another ring!!
            John

Comment

Trying to clean up inside the oven!!

Its actually more spacious than you might think.
              Last edited by John K; 03-28-2010, 05:59 AM.
              John

Comment

Hey John,

Fantastic looking oven! You are a very skilled builder. Can't wait to see the final product. Keep it up! How did you keep the last few courses from falling as the mortar is setting?

Raffy
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

John, it looks great! Nice, clean construction! I look forward to the keystone!
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
                    Hey John,

Fantastic looking oven! You are a very skilled builder. Can't wait to see the final product. Keep it up! How did you keep the last few courses from falling as the mortar is setting?

Raffy
                    Thank you Raffy. It' has been fun but hard to find time to work on it.

In relation to holding it up I used a steel rod with a nut on it that gave me both the height and angle required for each coarse. The nut took the downward load and I just held each brick for a minute or so until it set enough to let go. Suprisingly it actualy holds!!.
                    John

Comment

Very nice work John. Still have a circle. Keep up the good work.
                      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                        John, it looks great! Nice, clean construction! I look forward to the keystone!
                        Thanks Mike

I'm also looking forward to the Key stone!! I just want to start on the chimney. I have an issue that the size of the hole left is to big for a single key stone and to small for another set of rings. I think I am going to set 2 full bricks Side by side and cut the key stone out of that unless someone twists my arm to do something else.

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                        Very nice work John. Still have a circle. Keep up the good work.
                        Eric
                        Eric,

I'm also suprised that I still have a circle as I lost a bit of shape with the last arch transition brick but it looks like it came good in the end!!

Now to tackle the Key stone!

cheers
                        John

Comment

In relation to the key stone I realise that this is probably going to be the hottest point of the oven. Due to the size of the keystone 1 brick is not big enough to cut and fit the keystone. I am thinking of joining 2 full fire bricks and rebate the inside edge leaving around 1inch at the bottom edge so the bricks can touch. The remainder of the rebated section will be filled with high temp mortar to form 1 brick. I will then cut out the required key stone.

Can anyone see an issue with this or recommend another alternative?
                          John

Comment

John,
                            I had the same dilemma and opted for the 2 brick keystone. My opening was oblong so 2 bricks on their thin sides worked very well. I don't know if the rebate is any better than a very thin mortar joint all the way through. Mine ended up not being as artfully executed as I would have liked, but it still felt good to move to the next phase. In the end, no one is going to crawl into the oven to look at the keystone, so you are really the only one you have to satisfy. Good luck,
                            Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I'm sure that if I followed as per your setup I would have been fine too.

I ended up going to the refractory supplier to purchase some insulation bricks for my open fire pitt and ended up purchasing a larger 75 mm brick for the key stone so I was able to cut it out of 1 brick.

cheers
                              John

Comment

Happy Easter all.

I have finally finished the dome and ready to move onto the chimney!!!

The cuts were spot on but unfortunately I managed to chip some of the bricks in the last coarse.the key stone fell through and chipped some of my clean edges!! Any way its done now and on to stage 2!!
                                Last edited by John K; 04-05-2010, 03:42 AM.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X