John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

I thought I would post some of my Pics of my open fire pitt/Grill that is attached to my WFO.

I cooked a lamb over the festive period and it tasted as good as it looked. The grill is not 100% finished as I need to replace the steel sheeting at the back with a nice piece of Stainless steel!! I also erected a temporary cover over the pit in case it rained and guess what?? It pored!!! Luckily my wifes nagging to erect something temporarily worked out fine. lol

The backing of the wall (behind the steel sheet) is 75mm Insulation bricks that limits any heat transfer to the brick wall and reduces the risk of mortar failure.
    John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Hey John,

Wow! I'm speechless. That keystone is awesome, so precise! Were you an Egyptian pyramid builder in a past life?

Nice BBQ pit. Lamb looks delicious. That's a cool BBQ turning thingamajig.

Raffy
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
      Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
        Hey John,

Wow! I'm speechless. That keystone is awesome, so precise! Were you an Egyptian pyramid builder in a past life?

Nice BBQ pit. Lamb looks delicious. That's a cool BBQ turning thingamajig.

Raffy
        Thanks for the complement Raffy. I am actually a cabinet maker by trade (now a banker) and i guess the 1mm tolerances in the trade has stayed with me.

The electric motor works great!! I beleive it is good up to 30 Kilos but the average Lamb only weighs about 13 kilos so it works effortlessly. Beats turning it by hand for 3 hours! lol

cheers
        John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

I started work on the chimney landing today and decided to knock down the existing chimney walls that were single brick and build double brick walls for strength and aesthetic purposes.

I purchased some Solid face bricks that have a splay already cut out of one corner and will use these on the inside edge of both the wall and arch.

I considered cutting this splay out of standard bricks but the cut section would not look very pleasing so I just went with the pre-made bricks.
          John

Comment

Hi John, your oven is looking great! I like the contrast of the vent walls and your keystone looks good too. What size vent pipe are you planing on? I'm just asking since it appears wise to have an opening that's roughly double the area of the vent pipe's final area.

BTW: Love your lamb & spit set up. I also just had lamb at my cousins Sunday and they had a 30 pounder spinning on theirs. It's a bit messy chopping it up afterward but that's what you have to do to enjoy it .

-Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

love the Estwing hammer; a real tool!

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                What size vent pipe are you planing on? I'm just asking since it appears wise to have an opening that's roughly double the area of the vent pipe's final area.

BTW: Love your lamb & spit set up. I also just had lamb at my cousins Sunday and they had a 30 pounder spinning on theirs. It's a bit messy chopping it up afterward but that's what you have to do to enjoy it .

-Dino
                Thank you Dino.

I had these bricks as leftover after I built the house so they worked out perfect. I just purchased the additional splayed bricks and as you said are a great contrast against the fire bricks.

To be honest I have no idea about the vent opening or pipe I was going to trawl through various posts/photos for ideas and specifications. I liked the way you designed yours so I might steal some of your ideas (as long as you do not mind). Any recommendations or posts to look at would be much appreciated!!

In relation to the Lamb a 30 pounder sounds like a good Size!! mine was about 26.6 pounds. You are spot on though about getting dirty as it is all part of the experience

Cheers
                John

Comment

Originally posted by kombiman View Post
                  love the Estwing hammer; a real tool!
                  Great eye for detail Kombiman. I have had it for over 12 years and it is still like new. As they say only the best will do!!
                  John

Comment

Hey john..
                    Love the massive loook of your door with the dark bricks,, gonna be a great oven,, Keep up the great work

Cheers
                    Mark
                    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                      Hey john..
                      Lover the massive loook of your door with the dark breaks,, gonna be a great oven,, Keep up the great work

Cheers
                      Mark
                      Thanks Mark. I cannot wait to finish so I can cook in it!! I see you have updated the cosmetic appearance of your oven in you Avatar. The colour scheme looks great!!
                      John

Comment

I have been looking around for a vent pipe and came across the attached flue. I want to buy and use this but I am concerned that the thermal shock will crack the flue. The supplier has cautioned be from using this so close to the fire.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of flue set-up?

If I don't go with this I will end up purchasing a stainless steel 8inch flue.
                        John

Comment

hey John,
                          Thats a beautiful piece... My only concern is there was a guy from england I think.. A few months ago had something similar and it shattered to pieces from the heat.. Does anyone remember whose build that was ??? maybe you can do a form search for clay chimney pipes
                          Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

That is a chimney cap, not a flue pipe. A lot of money, too. I would be afraid to use it that close to the heat.

Comment

Hey John,
                              maybe you can do a fourm search for a chimney cap
                              I stand corrected.... Now that you have the right information you can get the right answer.. My point was I dont believe the cap is made to use that close to the heat...
                              Its a shame you cant use something that nice without it being destroyed..
                              Cheers
                              Mark

some additional info:
                              Can chimney pots be installed on outdoor fireplaces?(brick oven ?)
                              Yes, but you should be aware that clay chimney pots may be susceptible to thermal shock when installed on fireplaces or appliances with a short chimney stack of less than four (4) standard length flue liners due to the close proximity to the heat source.

Clay Chimney Pots | Frequently Asked Questions Asked About Superior Clay Chimney Pots
                              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

The problem with most pots is that they have unequal thickness's of material; all those decorations. That leads to differential thermal expansion, and thus cracking. They are nice units though.

Comment

Working...
                                X