X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    hey John,
    ...My only concern is there was a guy from england I think.. A few months ago had something similar and it shattered to pieces from the heat..
    I remember reading that one as well. I'll see if I can find it.

here it is:

Oven

(beautiful oven)

Now after 2 exploding pots I think I may have got a fix for the problem. In the original design the flue liner stopped at the base of the pot, allowing supoer hot fumes to fill the pot as they escaped. I have extended the flue liner so that it now stops at the top of the pot (have to trim it back to fit neatly). I think I still need to add some vermiculite cement inbetween the gap of the liner and interior of the chimney as I have still managed to crack the last pot slightly with the heat. At least they don't 'explode' any more.
    Last edited by Mitchamus; 04-18-2010, 03:21 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Comment

John,
      That is a cool looking chimney. How big is the inside diameter, maybe you could run a double wall galvanized chimney pipe inside it. It would be an extra expense but you would have one of the nicest looking chimneys on the site.
      Eric

Comment

Thank you all for comments. I really appreciate the info + link to the North Yorkshire UK build.

I was really hoping that I could use this but as per your comments and others experiences namely the North Yorkshire UK build it's back to the drawing board.

I did think about inserting a double steel flue within the claypot Eric but I would not have sufficient space within the pot to cater for this as you would need a 10inch flue plus the AUD $170 + $60 for the Gal flue, would have been a little pricey.

Mark that was a great link to the frequently asked questions link and confirmed what was said to me.

Mitchamus they are great pieces though but the irregularities in clay thickens definitely do not help!! They look fantastic though but never mind!!

Just wondering if I decide not to use a round Flue section, would I be reducing the drawing of smoke if I bricked up a rectangular brick flue with no internal lining?
        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Hey John,,,

If its not too late maybe you can get your hands on one of these,, Earthcore Industries, Inc. - Copper Pots
          Dont know if they are available by you, But Might be worth a shot''
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
            Hey John,,,

If its not too late maybe you can get your hands on one of these,, Earthcore Industries, Inc. - Copper Pots
            Dont know if they are available by you, But Might be worth a shot''
            Very nice Mark. I bet those things are worth a fortune with the cost of copper these days!

I had a quick search in OZ but nothing came up. Copper looks great and when it begins to weather gives a great rustic look.

I decided to go with an 8 inch Stainless flue which I can pick up for around AUD $65.00 so about US $60.00 + the cap yet to be purchased.

I am finding it harder and harder to find some spare time over the Weekends to work on the oven so I think I will go with the easier method.

cheers
            Last edited by John K; 04-26-2010, 04:50 AM.
            John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Spent about an hour today getting ready for the outside Arch and managed to cut and set the first of the arch bricks
              John

Comment

AHHHH

I am 6 Splayed bricks short for the Arch. I was originaly going to only use the splayed bricks for the arch itself and not for the arch walls and am now short!

I contacted the brick supplier for 6 and there is a wait of 4 weeks!! None in stock she tells me. Not happy!!

These brick a very rare as there is only 1 place in Australia that can make this solid pressed brick (hand pressed) and cost a wopping $3.80 AUD each.

I guess I have to play the waiting game now.
                John

Comment

Bummer! I myself wouldn't be able to wait. I would cut each splayed brick in half and use a standard brick behind the fancy brick so you could only see it if you looked up from underneath the arch. I don't do well with waiting.
                  Looks great so far,
                  Dave
                  Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                    Bummer! I myself wouldn't be able to wait. I would cut each splayed brick in half and use a standard brick behind the fancy brick so you could only see it if you looked up from underneath the arch. I don't do well with waiting.
                    Looks great so far,
                    Dave
                    Thanks Dave.

I'm also the same with waiting but as I have been a little busy of late a few weeks would not be so bad.

I actually received a call on Sat morning that my bricks had arrived early so I went and picked up 10 more but will only need 6 (Just in case!!).

Picked up and extra bag of High temp mortar and am ready to go.

I also Picked up an 8inch Stainless flue with a cap for only AUD $80. The flue has a scratch on it so was reduced. I can live with a litle scratch for the price and you wont even be able to see it where it is.

cheers
                    Last edited by John K; 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM.
                    John

Comment

I'm in Brisbane - my stainless flue has scratches and dings now. I lit a fire the other night, the flue fell back off the oven, then off the upstairs deck down onto concrete below and into the garden. Really, really loud noise!
                      My Clay Oven build:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
                        I'm in Brisbane - my stainless flue has scratches and dings now. I lit a fire the other night, the flue fell back off the oven, then off the upstairs deck down onto concrete below and into the garden. Really, really loud noise!
                        Ahhhh. I guess that is something you were not expecting. Would have freaked your neighbor's out though

Not a pretty sight at all. Why did it fall out? Did you not secure it in place?

I say that the extra dings give the oven extra character!

cheers
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by John K View Post
                          Not a pretty sight at all. Why did it fall out? Did you not secure it in place?
                          Not too surprising really; the flue is just resting on the clay dome while I run curing fires. It will be firmly attached once the insulation goes on and the enclosure is built.

Cheers,
                          Mick
                          My Clay Oven build:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Hi John,

just read your entire thread, and a very impressive build.
                            I am at the 6th ring stage and fighting gravity on my 36 " build.
                            like you i am trying to do it free hand ,but patience is starting to run thin!!!!!

like all envy those dark colored bricks , great eye catcher

good luck on the finish and will keep an eye on to see how it all comes together.

regards Gary

Comment

Originally posted by aussiepizzaman View Post
                              I am at the 6th ring stage and fighting gravity on my 36 " build.
                              like you i am trying to do it free hand ,but patience is starting to run thin!!!!!
                              Thanks Gary. I looked over your build and you have made a very solid start. I found that when gravity begins to take over you can introduce a clamp. Just clamp the brick you are working with to your "indispensible tool".

It just needs to be held in place for a few minutes and then you can start on the next one. Aim for a Mortar mix close to a peanut butter type spread and you should be right.

Just remember to clean your internal bricks as you go as an dried mortar is very hard to clean without using chemicals.

regards

John
                              John

Comment

Hi John,
                                thanks for the idea with the clamp ,must try this when the weather picks up.
                                When you say peanut butter consistancy with the mortor do you mean moist but not wet ?This might be half my trouble with the mortor being to wet and therfore takinging to long to set. I will try for a dryer mix and use clamps next time.

regards Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X