Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven build in Holland

hey ploot,,
    probably just steam,, never worry about cracks until you can see daylight thru them...

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

We call the cracks "expansion joints."

Joe
      Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by plootsnot View Post
        Hi Paul,
        You should be good, just get a good ladder and keep the beer count down while climbing. Just curious: XXXX or Victoria Bitter?
        Kurt
        LoL, being a Newcastle boy he'll probably say Tooheys or something.
        VB rules!
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by plootsnot View Post
          Just curious: XXXX or Victoria Bitter?
          Just as life is too short to eat bad pizza, it is also too short to drink poor beer so no VB or XXXX will take part in my oven build. In defence of my alcholism, most of the empty bottles are low alcohol beer but there is a mixture of Boags, Coopers, Little Creatures and Barons
          Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
          (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

7th curing fire today got pretty hot, cracks opened up to the point where I can look thru them and a small amount of smoke was coming out, see pictures.

Just did a search of "cracks" on this forum and found quite a few people with similar "expansion joints". This being my first build I have no idea if it?s going to be an issue. It seems the general opinion that as long as the dome is structurally sound it should be ok. Should I be worried that I can see thru most of the cracks?

Gravity being what it is I can't see the oven moving to the point where it will all come tumbling down. I plan to use a superwool blanket over the dome then vermucrete. Am I on the right track to assume the dome should be able to expand into the superwool and and not significantly move the outer layer of vermucrete?

Thanks for any tips.

Weather permitting first pizzas TOMMORROW!

Comment

Hey Ploot,
              This is one time where gravity is your friend.... Is there a reason that the topp that cracked is whiter than the rest or is that just the way it cured ? You can cement over it if it makes you feel better,, keep cooking it till you get the steam out and then make your next move... Im sure you will be fine

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

Not sure about the color difference, only noticed it after I put those pictures on my laptop. Assuming that at the 7th fire that top part got hotter than the rest. Tonight will be the real test and again assumming; once the inside goes all white that the outside will go even-colored. If not I'm not bothered as long nothing bad happens. I got my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

If I had more time before winter sets in might not have even seen these cracks as I would have gone straight to the insulating layer before curing. Oh well! I'm hungry going to knock off here at work and get home and start baking!

-Kurt

Comment

the color diference may just be the concrete curing like you said in different layers.. Your right not to worry,,

good luck and enjoy
                  Mark

Comment

Breakdown and redo april 2012
                    Last edited by plootsnot; 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

photos continued

Comment

Working...
                      X