Ugly Mortar Joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Mortar Joints

post to hopefully gain some comfort from the 'Masters' I see on this forum.....

I am on my 6th course and no matter my efforts my mortar joints look they were done by a spastic 3'rd grader. You know it's a bad sign when the OUTSIDE of the chain looks better than the INSIDE ! None of the chain to chain joints are over 1/2" at the backside so I think I am fine structurally. I just can't seem to get the knack of getting each chain brick in 'square' and 'faced' properly with several ending up a bit cock-eyed. The mortar joints inside the oven are generally tight and small, just some at angles including the dreaded triangle between adjoining chain brick. Looking a Les's Oven makes me sick!

Please tell the the Pizza will not know the difference!

Re: Ugly Mortar Joints

RDWHAHB. Oops. Wrong forum. Relax, don't worry, have a pizza. It'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkyng View Post
      Looking a Les's Oven makes me sick!
      You should try my cooking It's going to work just fine. One trick to keep people from looking at your work is to keep a hot fire going.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I don't trust my brick laying skills so I intend to use a brick guide.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

If the choice is perfecting mortar or pizza, go for pizza. Your friends only care about the pizza anyway.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

If the choice is perfecting mortar or pizza, go for pizza. Your friends only care about the pizza anyway
            I agree 100%.... as long as it cooks your golden

Comment

I have also created some "challenged" looking brick placements inside my oven. Some of them offended me to the point that I took an angle grinder to them clean them up. Now they look a bit better. I agree with the group. Don’t worry too much about it, after all people are going to be more interested in the pizza.

For what it is worth I saw a professionally made oven in a restaurant this weekend and the mortar joints were huge and I thought rather sloppy. Pizzas that came out of the oven were fantastic, so clearly it works.
              I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking. --- Julia Child

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattluttropp

Comment

Working...
              X