Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

I'm started my project with moving a rock wall, because where we wanted to put the oven was too close to the property line. My wife helped me and we completed the task in one day, which included her decorating a little.
    I also put down some road rock on the hillside so I can access the sight with my truck and tractor this winter.
    I couldn't do any of the work I've done on our property without the tractor. We are on 5 acres somewhat between Sacramento and Tahoe.
    I am attaching some pictures of the progress so far.
    Thank you to everyone before me, your ideas and hard work are an inspiration. I just hope my work will turn out good enough to post pictures of.

Tom
    Last edited by trockyh; 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM.
    Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Nice work. Keep up that pace and you will be baking before you know it.

dusty

Comment

Thanks dusty,
      I am picking up cinder block this morning I found for .75 each. I haven't been working much lately and need to do this on a shoe string. Hope to find fire brick on the cheap also.
      I hope to start the forms for the slab this afternoon before the rain tonight. The weather is suppose to be good after the weekend, so hopefully I can pour the slab next week.
      I can't wait to cook some pizza, Nena's favorite food.

Tom

Comment

What a great setting for an oven. Good luck, and enjoy the process.
        Joe

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Tom,

I have mentioned this before, but H.C. Muddox (firebrick manufacurer) is on Bradshaw rd. in Sac. and will sell "seconds" to the public for .30 each. They are seconds, but very suitable for oven building. Guy's name is Jeff and he is very cool and receptive to the oven thing.
          If you need more info, say the word.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
            What a great setting for an oven. Good luck, and enjoy the process.
            Thanks Joe, we are very blessed with our property. We see the snow covered mountains, but don't have to deal with the white stuff.

Tom

Comment

Picked up 52 cement blocks yesterday for .75 each, so I'm very pleased with the price.
              Today, we excavated and set the form for the base. It rained for a few hours, but when it stopped we went back out to work on it in the mud. Hate that stuff, takes allot to get it off your boots.
              Tomorrow we will get the sand/gravel mix and will pour the slab this weekend if we can deal with the mud.
              Thanks dusty for the fire brick info, that is a great price and only an hour from here.
              Can't wait to bake some bread.

Tom

Comment

The weather cleared for us to work on the forms yesterday. I have the rebar wired and ready to put in the form, but I want to tamp the rock again today before we mix and pour cement.
                Gusts of wind, 30mph at the moment. Hope it stops soon so we can get to work.
                Here is a picture of where we are at in the process.
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ation-form.jpg

Comment

Looks great so far. Seems as though you've got the "oven bug". There's no stopping you now. Soon you will be loosing sleep thinking about it - if you haven't already.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                    Looks great so far. Seems as though you've got the "oven bug". There's no stopping you now. Soon you will be loosing sleep thinking about it - if you haven't already.

dusty
                    Yea dusty, I've lost sleep, at least wake up in the early hours and lay there thinking about it.
                    I finished prepping for the pour for tomorrow when a friend will help. I would have done it today if I could have figured a way to screed the concrete by myself.
                    When I get closer, maybe we can talk and set up getting my bricks down there.
                    Where did you get your mortar?

Thanks,
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
                      When I get closer, maybe we can talk and set up getting my bricks down there.
                      Where did you get your mortar?
                      Bricks...anytime you're ready.

I used the refmix from our beloved forno bravo. Shipping wasn't too bad from there to here. That and I wasn't able to find the "heat stop" or anything else in Sac. I also used homebrew refractory with portland, sand, lime and fireclay. Believe it or not, I mixed my homebrew (1 part) with 1 part refmix. It seems to have worked fine, and it cut the cost in half.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                        Bricks...anytime you're ready.

it cut the cost in half.

dusty
                        I like that. How many bags did you use?
                        I'm thinking home brew, but if it's only a couple bags and it's allot easier I will order from FB.

Thanks,
                        Tom

Comment

I think three.
                          But I didn't mix it 50/50 'til after the first bag-or bag an a half. If I knew then, I would have mixed right from the start and certainly only used one bag.
                          I cut all of my bricks to fit so I really used a small amount of mortar.

dusty

dusty

Comment

I'd love to see your oven if it works out with you. I'm hoping to buy the brick next week and also pick up the saw from HF.
                            Let me know. Either way is fine.

Tom

Comment

Did you say pick up the saw???

You'll never guess who has one! New in the box even. I bought the extended warranty and returned it for a new one when my project was over. Kinda cheesy, but it had, coincidentaly, begun to fail about that time.
                              We have alot to talk about!

dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X